Old 07-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Daniel da Veiga

Default Multilib or not?

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Joćo Matos <jaoneto@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I suppose that I'll have no problem with wine or nvidia-drivers based on
>> preview discussion. But how about grub, zsnes, skype or some .bin games
>> installed outside portage, like Aminesia?
>
> Don't know.
>
>> I'm assuming that I'll also have no problems with codecs, because since I
>> compiled mplayer with vdpau support I can play all video stuff with it.
>
> There will be some codecs which mplayer doesn't support. Stuff whose
> particular spec has been lost to time, missing documentation and
> win32codecs. That will continue to be the case until the
> reverse-engineering geeks find time and samples to cover the
> remainder.
>
> Honestly, I don't see much of a point to getting rid of multilib,
> unless you're looking for some sense of systemic purity. I do know
> people who do that. (But they also avoid anything closed-source, which
> certainly helps.)

I have to agree on that, its just too much work for no apparent gain.

Unless we are talking about mission critical systems where we should
avoid any point of possible failure, but I guess if it was the case,
ZNES wouldn't be installed

But maybe I'm the wrong person to ask, I still run a 32 bits system,
never bothered to go full 64 for the same exact reason above (and
since this system is almost 6 years old, with no reinstall, just minor
adjustments to hardware changes, I don't plan on a full install so
soon).

--
Daniel da Veiga

Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Michael Hampicke

> So I run 'revdep-rebuild --verbose' just to check what do I have that still
> depends on emul-linux-x86* and I've found:
>
> app-emulation/wine-1.4
> sys-boot/grub-0.97-r10
> www-plugins/google-talkplugin-2.1.7.0
> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-295.59
> games-emulation/zsnes-1.51-r2
> skype

For grub you could use grub-static or grub2. I have some 64bit
no-multilib servers that run grub-static without problems.

But I have to agree with Mike here, I really don't see why one would use
a no-multilib profile on a desktop machine

Old 07-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Dale

Michael Hampicke wrote:
>> So I run 'revdep-rebuild --verbose' just to check what do I have that still
>> depends on emul-linux-x86* and I've found:
>>
>> app-emulation/wine-1.4
>> sys-boot/grub-0.97-r10
>> www-plugins/google-talkplugin-2.1.7.0
>> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-295.59
>> games-emulation/zsnes-1.51-r2
>> skype
>>
> For grub you could use grub-static or grub2. I have some 64bit
> no-multilib servers that run grub-static without problems.
>
> But I have to agree with Mike here, I really don't see why one would use
> a no-multilib profile on a desktop machine

When I did my install on this new rig, I installed grub-static and so
far, it has worked fine. I haven't jumped off the cliff with grub2 yet.

I also chose multi-lib when I did this install. The only complaint so
far was flash but when has it ever really been stable to begin with? o_O

I have to also mention, 64 bit does seem to use more memory. It's not a
whole lot but it is noticeable.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-17-2012, 08:52 PM