Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Joćo Matos

Default Multilib or not?

Hi list.

I've been using gentoo amd64 multilib for at least five year, and the system is working pretty well. But the recent discussion about 64 bit over 32 made me wonder about changing the profile to a non-multilib.

So I run 'revdep-rebuild --verbose' just to check what do I have that still depends on emul-linux-x86* and I've found:

app-emulation/wine-1.4
sys-boot/grub-0.97-r10
www-plugins/google-talkplugin-2.1.7.0

x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-295.59
games-emulation/zsnes-1.51-r2
skype

I suppose that I'll have no problem with wine or nvidia-drivers based on preview discussion. But how about grub, zsnes, skype or some .bin games installed outside portage, like Aminesia?

I'm assuming that I'll also have no problems with codecs, because since I compiled mplayer with vdpau support I can play all video stuff with it.
Thank you,

--
Joćo de Matos
Linux User #461527

Old 07-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Joćo Matos <jaoneto@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list.
>
> I've been using gentoo amd64 multilib for at least five year, and the system
> is working pretty well. But the recent discussion about 64 bit over 32 made
> me wonder about changing the profile to a non-multilib.
>
> So I run 'revdep-rebuild --verbose' just to check what do I have that still
> depends on emul-linux-x86* and I've found:
>
> app-emulation/wine-1.4
> sys-boot/grub-0.97-r10
> www-plugins/google-talkplugin-2.1.7.0
> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-295.59
> games-emulation/zsnes-1.51-r2
> skype
>
> I suppose that I'll have no problem with wine or nvidia-drivers based on
> preview discussion. But how about grub, zsnes, skype or some .bin games
> installed outside portage, like Aminesia?

Don't know.

> I'm assuming that I'll also have no problems with codecs, because since I
> compiled mplayer with vdpau support I can play all video stuff with it.

There will be some codecs which mplayer doesn't support. Stuff whose
particular spec has been lost to time, missing documentation and
win32codecs. That will continue to be the case until the
reverse-engineering geeks find time and samples to cover the
remainder.

Honestly, I don't see much of a point to getting rid of multilib,
unless you're looking for some sense of systemic purity. I do know
people who do that. (But they also avoid anything closed-source, which
certainly helps.)

--
:wq