-   -   32bit or 64bit (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/684371-32bit-64bit.html)

Nilesh Govindrajan 07-17-2012 02:22 AM

32bit or 64bit

So the same old query again I guess.

What architecture should I use for a machine with 3GB RAM and a 64bit processor?

I believe 64bit should be given serious consideration only if RAM is gt or = 4 GB, even there 32bit is allowable with PAE if I'm not wrong.

So what is recommended? There are as such no special use cases to go 64bit for me.

Q 07-17-2012 02:39 AM

32bit or 64bit

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 07:52:08 +0530
Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:

> So the same old query again I guess.
> What architecture should I use for a machine with 3GB RAM and a 64bit
> processor?
>
> I believe 64bit should be given serious consideration only if RAM is
> gt or = 4 GB, even there 32bit is allowable with PAE if I'm not wrong.
>
> So what is recommended? There are as such no special use cases to go
> 64bit for me.

I'd go with 64-bit mostly because it's my impression more people
(both devs and users) are using it now than 32-bit, so ebuilds/packages
get more testing under 64-bit.

But you don't say why you believe 64-bit shouldn't be seriously
considered for a machine with <4 GiB RAM.

Mark Knecht 07-17-2012 02:52 AM

32bit or 64bit

On 7/16/12, Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:
> So the same old query again I guess.
> What architecture should I use for a machine with 3GB RAM and a 64bit
> processor?
>
> I believe 64bit should be given serious consideration only if RAM is gt or
> = 4 GB, even there 32bit is allowable with PAE if I'm not wrong.
>
> So what is recommended? There are as such no special use cases to go 64bit
> for me.

Why 32? ... Flash, win32 codecs, probably Wine but not sure as it has
been years...

Why 64? ... Virtualization...

Depends on what you want and/or need.

HTH,
Mark

Michael Mol 07-17-2012 03:04 AM

32bit or 64bit

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/12, Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:
>> So the same old query again I guess.
>> What architecture should I use for a machine with 3GB RAM and a 64bit
>> processor?
>>
>> I believe 64bit should be given serious consideration only if RAM is gt or
>> = 4 GB, even there 32bit is allowable with PAE if I'm not wrong.
>>
>> So what is recommended? There are as such no special use cases to go 64bit
>> for me.
>>

> Why 32? ... Flash, win32 codecs, probably Wine but not sure as it has
> been years...

64-bit WINE worked for me. Even for running 32-bit WoW. (Though I was
running a multilib profile. Uncertain if that had an impact.)

> Why 64? ... Virtualization...
>
> Depends on what you want and/or need.

IMO, it's worth the 'overhead' to run 64-bit, if only for the greater
number of GPRs and other architectural improvements. There's honestly
a lot of good stuff in x86-64 beyond the larger address space. The
increased address space also helps long-lived programs avoid address
space fragmentation.

--
:wq

Mark Knecht 07-17-2012 03:29 AM

32bit or 64bit

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
>>> So what is recommended? There are as such no special use cases to go 64bit
>>> for me.
>>>

>> Why 32? ... Flash, win32 codecs, probably Wine but not sure as it has
>> been years...
>
> 64-bit WINE worked for me. Even for running 32-bit WoW. (Though I was
> running a multilib profile. Uncertain if that had an impact.)
>

>> Why 64? ... Virtualization...
>>
>> Depends on what you want and/or need.
>
> IMO, it's worth the 'overhead' to run 64-bit, if only for the greater
> number of GPRs and other architectural improvements. There's honestly
> a lot of good stuff in x86-64 beyond the larger address space. The
> increased address space also helps long-lived programs avoid address
> space fragmentation.
>
> --
> :wq

Agreed. I only boot 64-bit here, but different than all you
heavy-lifters my machines are 98% stable, 2% ~amd64. That said I do
have problems not only with Flash on my machine with 2 Nvidia cards
but also with OpenGL. However none of that on any other 64-bit
machines.

As for the win32 codec stuff I use Windows VMs to watch any stuff I
want to watch, and a fairly trim Gentoo 32-bit VM so that I can run
Linux apps to convert certain Windows format files, etc.

Cheers,
Mark

Bill Kenworthy 07-17-2012 03:36 AM

32bit or 64bit

On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 19:52 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 7/16/12, Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:
> > So the same old query again I guess.
> > What architecture should I use for a machine with 3GB RAM and a 64bit
> > processor?
> >
> > I believe 64bit should be given serious consideration only if RAM is gt or
> > = 4 GB, even there 32bit is allowable with PAE if I'm not wrong.
> >
> > So what is recommended? There are as such no special use cases to go 64bit
> > for me.
> >

> Why 32? ... Flash, win32 codecs, probably Wine but not sure as it has
> been years...
>
> Why 64? ... Virtualization...
>
> Depends on what you want and/or need.
>
> HTH,
> Mark

Virtualisation ? I am running qemu (windows, gentoo), vbox (windows,
gentoo, fedora) and gxemul (ultrix) all 32 bit guests on 32 bit systems
on either 32 or 64 bit hardware running gentoo - can you confirm you
need 64bit for 64bit guests as I will be moving that way eventually?

That being said, I think for future proofing 64bit is the way to go, I
can see a time when 32bit is going to get deprecated.

Billk

Michael Mol 07-17-2012 04:23 AM

32bit or 64bit

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>>>

>>> Why 32? ... Flash, win32 codecs, probably Wine but not sure as it has
>>> been years...
>>
>> 64-bit WINE worked for me. Even for running 32-bit WoW. (Though I was
>> running a multilib profile. Uncertain if that had an impact.)
>>

>>> Why 64? ... Virtualization...
>>>
>>> Depends on what you want and/or need.
>>
>> IMO, it's worth the 'overhead' to run 64-bit, if only for the greater
>> number of GPRs and other architectural improvements. There's honestly
>> a lot of good stuff in x86-64 beyond the larger address space. The
>> increased address space also helps long-lived programs avoid address
>> space fragmentation.
>>
>> --
>> :wq
>>

> Agreed. I only boot 64-bit here, but different than all you
> heavy-lifters my machines are 98% stable, 2% ~amd64. That said I do
> have problems not only with Flash on my machine with 2 Nvidia cards
> but also with OpenGL. However none of that on any other 64-bit
> machines.
>
> As for the win32 codec stuff I use Windows VMs to watch any stuff I
> want to watch, and a fairly trim Gentoo 32-bit VM so that I can run
> Linux apps to convert certain Windows format files, etc.

FWIW, I run 98% (or thereabouts ;) ) stable, too.

No trouble with Flash on either nVidia or AMD. No trouble playing
Diablo III or WoW on WINE with apps-emu/playonlinux and nVidia.
Recently switched to an AMD GPU. No trouble with Flash there, either.
Haven't tried WoW, but I've got lots of weird artifacts in Diablo III
which don't make the game unplayable, but might to a less-tolerant
person.

This is all on an amd64 system. I don't know what it's like in 32-bit
x86 on Gentoo, as I've never run that form of Gentoo; I let multilib
handle things there.

--
:wq

Michael Mol 07-17-2012 04:25 AM

32bit or 64bit

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 19:52 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On 7/16/12, Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:
>> > So the same old query again I guess.
>> > What architecture should I use for a machine with 3GB RAM and a 64bit
>> > processor?
>> >
>> > I believe 64bit should be given serious consideration only if RAM is gt or
>> > = 4 GB, even there 32bit is allowable with PAE if I'm not wrong.
>> >
>> > So what is recommended? There are as such no special use cases to go 64bit
>> > for me.
>> >

>> Why 32? ... Flash, win32 codecs, probably Wine but not sure as it has
>> been years...
>>
>> Why 64? ... Virtualization...
>>
>> Depends on what you want and/or need.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Mark
>>

> Virtualisation ? I am running qemu (windows, gentoo), vbox (windows,
> gentoo, fedora) and gxemul (ultrix) all 32 bit guests on 32 bit systems
> on either 32 or 64 bit hardware running gentoo - can you confirm you
> need 64bit for 64bit guests as I will be moving that way eventually?
>
> That being said, I think for future proofing 64bit is the way to go, I
> can see a time when 32bit is going to get deprecated.

If you want hardware-accelerated virtualization, you will need to run
a 64-bit host if you want to run a 64-bit guest. That much I know.
From my experience on Windows, I can note that you can use
hardware-accelerated virtualization of 32-bit guests on both 32-bit
and 64-bit hosts.

These are just properties of the hardware; there's nothing special
about Linux or Windows in this regard.

--
:wq

"J. Roeleveld" 07-17-2012 06:25 AM

32bit or 64bit

On Tue, July 17, 2012 5:36 am, Bill Kenworthy wrote:

<SNIPPED>

> Virtualisation ? I am running qemu (windows, gentoo), vbox (windows,
> gentoo, fedora) and gxemul (ultrix) all 32 bit guests on 32 bit systems
> on either 32 or 64 bit hardware running gentoo - can you confirm you
> need 64bit for 64bit guests as I will be moving that way eventually?
>
> That being said, I think for future proofing 64bit is the way to go, I
> can see a time when 32bit is going to get deprecated.

In my experience:
32bit host : Only 32 bit guest
64bit host : 32 bit and 64 bit guest

I have not been able to run a 64 bit guest on a 32 bit host.

--
Joost

Volker Armin Hemmann 07-17-2012 07:05 AM

32bit or 64bit

There is no reason to use 32bit.