Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Mark Knecht

Default 32bit or 64bit

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Video-codecs? I haven't seen a video in years that was not playable by 64bit
> ffmpeg based players but worked with 32bit.
<SNIP>

Lots of wmv files won't play in 64-bit. That's the only one I have
trouble with. They play fine in 32-bit Gentoo.

- Mark

Old 07-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Michael Hampicke

>> Video-codecs? I haven't seen a video in years that was not playable by 64bit
>> ffmpeg based players but worked with 32bit.
> <SNIP>
>
> Lots of wmv files won't play in 64-bit. That's the only one I have
> trouble with. They play fine in 32-bit Gentoo.

Mark, was thinking of you and your videos that don't play on 64bit when
I read Volkers statement
ffmpeg know lots of shit, but not all if it.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@hadt.biz> wrote:
>>> Video-codecs? I haven't seen a video in years that was not playable by 64bit
>>> ffmpeg based players but worked with 32bit.
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> Lots of wmv files won't play in 64-bit. That's the only one I have
>> trouble with. They play fine in 32-bit Gentoo.
>>
> Mark, was thinking of you and your videos that don't play on 64bit when
> I read Volkers statement
> ffmpeg know lots of shit, but not all if it.

Yeah, that's the truth. I suspect this specific case just lacks a
smart developer who wants to figure it all out and do the work to make
an Open Source codec that plays the file type, but maybe there's
patents and other junk that gets in the way.

And really, as I use a lot of VM's all day long, it doesn't seem
overly important any more. It's trivial to just run a Windows VM to
play wmv files whereas finding someone in the Linux world who actually
cares about supporting and promoting the wmv format seems like a waste
of my time and theirs. They can work on better things.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> Lots of wmv files won't play in 64-bit. That's the only one I have
>>> trouble with. They play fine in 32-bit Gentoo.
>>>
>> Mark, was thinking of you and your videos that don't play on 64bit when
>> I read Volkers statement
>> ffmpeg know lots of shit, but not all if it.
>>

> Yeah, that's the truth. I suspect this specific case just lacks a
> smart developer who wants to figure it all out and do the work to make
> an Open Source codec that plays the file type, but maybe there's
> patents and other junk that gets in the way.

It's possible they just don't have a sample to work with. If you can
send it to them, they can at least add it to their samples archives.

> And really, as I use a lot of VM's all day long, it doesn't seem
> overly important any more. It's trivial to just run a Windows VM to
> play wmv files whereas finding someone in the Linux world who actually
> cares about supporting and promoting the wmv format seems like a waste
> of my time and theirs. They can work on better things.

There are containers and codecs. Most containers are supported,
leaving the codecs.

Can you post the output of 'mplayer -identify $filename' on that file?

--
:wq

Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Michael Hampicke

>> And really, as I use a lot of VM's all day long, it doesn't seem
>> overly important any more. It's trivial to just run a Windows VM to
>> play wmv files whereas finding someone in the Linux world who actually
>> cares about supporting and promoting the wmv format seems like a waste
>> of my time and theirs. They can work on better things.
>
> There are containers and codecs. Most containers are supported,
> leaving the codecs.
>
> Can you post the output of 'mplayer -identify $filename' on that file?

If memory serves me right it was MSS2 which requires a 32bit mplayer
build with the win32codecs use flag enabled.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Mark, was thinking of you and your videos that don't play on 64bit when
>>> I read Volkers statement
>>> ffmpeg know lots of shit, but not all if it.
>>>

>> Yeah, that's the truth. I suspect this specific case just lacks a
>> smart developer who wants to figure it all out and do the work to make
>> an Open Source codec that plays the file type, but maybe there's
>> patents and other junk that gets in the way.
>
> It's possible they just don't have a sample to work with. If you can
> send it to them, they can at least add it to their samples archives.
>

>> And really, as I use a lot of VM's all day long, it doesn't seem
>> overly important any more. It's trivial to just run a Windows VM to
>> play wmv files whereas finding someone in the Linux world who actually
>> cares about supporting and promoting the wmv format seems like a waste
>> of my time and theirs. They can work on better things.
>
> There are containers and codecs. Most containers are supported,
> leaving the codecs.
>
> Can you post the output of 'mplayer -identify $filename' on that file?
>
> --
> :wq

Point me toward a samples archive and I'll post a file.

The file plays audio in mplayer. There is no video which is consistent
with what I see here. Granted, this is 64-bit and I don't have
win32codecs installed which is what plays it on the 32-bit VM.

- Mark

mark@c2stable ~/Builder/1_BrooksPriceAction/2012_04 $ mplayer
-identify BTR20120330-3544edit.wmv
MPlayer SVN-r33094-4.5.3 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team

Playing BTR20120330-3544edit.wmv.
ASF file format detected.
ID_AUDIO_ID=1
[asfheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
ID_VIDEO_ID=2
[asfheader] Video stream found, -vid 2
VIDEO: [MSS2] 1366x740 24bpp 1000.000 fps 4971.0 kbps (606.8 kbyte/s)
Load subtitles in ./
ID_FILENAME=BTR20120330-3544edit.wmv
ID_DEMUXER=asf
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MSS2
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=4971000
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=1366
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=740
ID_VIDEO_FPS=1000.000
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=353
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=0
ID_AUDIO_RATE=0
ID_AUDIO_NCH=0
ID_START_TIME=5.00
ID_LENGTH=8713.83
ID_SEEKABLE=1
ID_CHAPTERS=0
Requested video codec family [wmsdmod] (vfm=dmo) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Requested video codec family [wms10dmod] (vfm=dmo) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x3253534D.
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 1 ch, s16le, 20.0 kbit/2.84% (ratio: 2501->88200)
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=20008
ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
ID_AUDIO_NCH=1
Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 1ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=ffwmav2
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A: 16.1 (16.0) of 8713.8 ( 2:25:13.8) 0.3%

MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: play_audio
ID_SIGNAL=2
A: 16.1 (16.1) of 8713.8 ( 2:25:13.8) 0.3%

Exiting... (Quit)
ID_EXIT=QUIT

Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, that's the truth. I suspect this specific case just lacks a
>>> smart developer who wants to figure it all out and do the work to make
>>> an Open Source codec that plays the file type, but maybe there's
>>> patents and other junk that gets in the way.
>>
>> It's possible they just don't have a sample to work with. If you can
>> send it to them, they can at least add it to their samples archives.
>>

>>> And really, as I use a lot of VM's all day long, it doesn't seem
>>> overly important any more. It's trivial to just run a Windows VM to
>>> play wmv files whereas finding someone in the Linux world who actually
>>> cares about supporting and promoting the wmv format seems like a waste
>>> of my time and theirs. They can work on better things.
>>
>> There are containers and codecs. Most containers are supported,
>> leaving the codecs.
>>
>> Can you post the output of 'mplayer -identify $filename' on that file?

> Point me toward a samples archive and I'll post a file.

There may be no need. Not sure.

http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/750

That said, you might get in touch with mike (at) multimedia.cx, as
he's had a long history of involvement. Offer the sample, mention it's
a codec you need to view frequently. Perhaps ask who you might poke
who'd have an interest in it. I'd probably include the above link.

> The file plays audio in mplayer. There is no video which is consistent
> with what I see here. Granted, this is 64-bit and I don't have
> win32codecs installed which is what plays it on the 32-bit VM.

[snip]

Yeah, it's MSS2. And it sounds like upstream is aware of it.

--
:wq

Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
>>> There are containers and codecs. Most containers are supported,
>>> leaving the codecs.
>>>
>>> Can you post the output of 'mplayer -identify $filename' on that file?
>

>> Point me toward a samples archive and I'll post a file.
>
> There may be no need. Not sure.
>
> http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/750
>
> That said, you might get in touch with mike (at) multimedia.cx, as
> he's had a long history of involvement. Offer the sample, mention it's
> a codec you need to view frequently. Perhaps ask who you might poke
> who'd have an interest in it. I'd probably include the above link.
>

>> The file plays audio in mplayer. There is no video which is consistent
>> with what I see here. Granted, this is 64-bit and I don't have
>> win32codecs installed which is what plays it on the 32-bit VM.
>
> [snip]
>
> Yeah, it's MSS2. And it sounds like upstream is aware of it.
>
> --
> :wq

Indeed, I downloaded the wmv file attached to that report and it does
the same thing. Audio is fine, no video.

Cheers,
Mark

- Mark

Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

On 17/07/12 19:43, Alecks Gates wrote:

On Jul 17, 2012 11:32 AM, "Volker Armin Hemmann"
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com <mailto:volkerarmin@googlemail.com>> wrote:
*snip*
> The only use case that might come up is wine - I don't know anything
about
> that beast. Haven't had any use for it in years.
>
> --
> #163933

I use wine daily on 64 bit with no problems.

64-bit Wine cannot run 32-bit Windows applications. You need a 32-bit
Wine for that. And since in 99.9% of Windows software is 32-bit...
well, you get the point :-)

Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Alecks Gates

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/07/12 19:43, Alecks Gates wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 17, 2012 11:32 AM, "Volker Armin Hemmann"
>> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com <mailto:volkerarmin@googlemail.com>> wrote:
>> *snip*
>> > The only use case that might come up is wine - I don't know anything
>> about
>> > that beast. Haven't had any use for it in years.
>> >
>> > --
>> > #163933
>> >
>> I use wine daily on 64 bit with no problems.
>

> 64-bit Wine cannot run 32-bit Windows applications. You need a 32-bit Wine
> for that. And since in 99.9% of Windows software is 32-bit... well, you get
> the point :-)

Sure, but 64-bit wine can run either a win32 or a win64 config, and
you have to enable win64 with the "win64" USE flag. I believe this
makes the win64 config default and you have to set WINEARCH=win32 if
you want only 32-bit.

According to the winehq docs[1] the WINEARCH environment variable
"Specifies the Windows architecture to support. It can be set either
to win32 (support only 32-bit applications), or to win64 (support both
64-bit applications and 32-bit ones in WoW64 mode). The architecture
supported by a given Wine prefix is set at prefix creation time and
cannot be changed afterwards. When running with an existing prefix,
Wine will refuse to start if WINEARCH doesn't match the prefix
architecture." It is meant to be able to run both 64-bit and 32-bit
applications, but I think it's a bit buggy -- I've had some trouble
installing microsoft visual c++ runtimes due to running a win64
config, but I could have been doing it wrong.

[1] http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/x258