Old 07-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Silvio Siefke

Default /home on other partion move

Hello,

my hdd is full and on the free partion i want make the /home partion.
But how can make it? Copy and fstab? When i mount the partion over thunar
i can not write as user on the partion.

/dev/sda3 on /run/media/siefke/data type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)

Has someone a advice for me? Thank you.

Regards
Silvio

Old 07-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Michael Mol

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen@web.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my hdd is full and on the free partion i want make the /home partion.
> But how can make it? Copy and fstab? When i mount the partion over thunar
> i can not write as user on the partion.
>
> /dev/sda3 on /run/media/siefke/data type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)
>
> Has someone a advice for me? Thank you.

Here's how I'd do it. Take a backup first! At least a couple of these
commands could result in massive data loss if you have a typo. It's
also pretty important that you be logged in as root, and that no user
whose home directory is under /home is currently logged in.

# Create your target filesystem
mkfs.ext4 $your_new_partition

# Mount your target filesystem
mount -t auto $your_new_partition /mnt/

# Copy your data to your target filesystem.
cp -a /home/* /mnt/

Verify that the data that was in /home now exists in /mnt

# Remove the data from /home/, as it will otherwise continue taking up
space on your hard disk.
rm -rf /home/*

# Unmount your target filesystem,
umount /mnt/

Modify /etc/fstab to mount $your_new_partition at /home

# Mount your new /home
mount /home

--
:wq

Old 07-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

my hdd is full and on the free partion i want make the /home partion.
But how can make it? Copy and fstab? When i mount the partion over thunar
i can not write as user on the partion.

You cannot write to /home directly, only in your own /home/me home
directory.

/dev/sda3 on /run/media/siefke/data type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)

You should probably apply a label to the partition (like "Home") and
then in fstab:

LABEL=Home /home ext4 defaults,exec 0 2

Make sure you moved and not copied your old /home/* stuff. If you
copied, then delete the old /home:

rm -rf /home
mkdir /home

If you really want to write to /home directly as a user, then unmount it
and do:

chmod a+w /home

Now mount it, and do the above command again. Everyone will now be able
to write to /home (and the permission will be kept between
mounts/unmounts/reboots.)