Old 07-13-2012, 02:34 AM
Nilesh Govindrajan

Default Random segfaults with gnome

Lately, ever since I installed gnome3 (3.2), a lot of things have gone unstable. Gnome crashes a lot and pulseaudio too, on every start (I see a segfault by the equalizer module).

My graphic card is on board i945 and I have set mesa to classic mode on sw and i915 families.

I partially belive that this is because of -O3 in my make.conf, but compiling a few packages using -O2 didn't do much good either. Moreover, I've been using kde with -O3 since 2011 and never had such a problem.

Nevertheless, I'm rebuilding everything with -O2 (emerge -e system, emerge -e world) with gcc 4.7 (no lto) just to see if that fixes the trouble.

I have memtested and there's absolutely no problem with the RAM.

What do you guys suggest?

Old 07-13-2012, 02:45 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Nilesh Govindrajan
<contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:
> Lately, ever since I installed gnome3 (3.2), a lot of things have gone
> unstable. Gnome crashes a lot and pulseaudio too, on every start (I see a
> segfault by the equalizer module).
>
> My graphic card is on board i945 and I have set mesa to classic mode on sw
> and i915 families.
>
> I partially belive that this is because of -O3 in my make.conf, but
> compiling a few packages using -O2 didn't do much good either. Moreover,
> I've been using kde with -O3 since 2011 and never had such a problem.
>
> Nevertheless, I'm rebuilding everything with -O2 (emerge -e system, emerge
> -e world) with gcc 4.7 (no lto) just to see if that fixes the trouble.
>
> I have memtested and there's absolutely no problem with the RAM.
>
> What do you guys suggest?

By GNOME you mean, gnome-shell? Do the crashes occur randomly, or can
you reproduce them? Same with PulseAudio.

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Debugging

Have you tried don what this page instructs?

I've been using GNOME 3 since May last year. No major problems so far.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 07-13-2012, 02:59 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Jul 13, 2012 9:49 AM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Nilesh Govindrajan

> <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:

> > Lately, ever since I installed gnome3 (3.2), a lot of things have gone

> > unstable. Gnome crashes a lot and pulseaudio too, on every start (I see a

> > segfault by the equalizer module).

> > My graphic card is on board i945 and I have set mesa to classic mode on sw

> > and i915 families.

> > I partially belive that this is because of -O3 in my make.conf, but

> > compiling a few packages using -O2 didn't do much good either. Moreover,

> > I've been using kde with -O3 since 2011 and never had such a problem.

> > Nevertheless, I'm rebuilding everything with -O2 (emerge -e system, emerge

> > -e world) with gcc 4.7 (no lto) just to see if that fixes the trouble.

> > I have memtested and there's absolutely no problem with the RAM.

> > What do you guys suggest?

> By GNOME you mean, gnome-shell? Do the crashes occur randomly, or can

> you reproduce them? Same with PulseAudio.

> https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Debugging

> Have you tried don what this page instructs?

> I've been using GNOME 3 since May last year. No major problems so far.

90% of NREs (Non Reproducible Errors) are caused by hardware problems.

MemTest, albeit a good and thorough diagnostic utility, only checks for memory problem.

It is likely that some other component on the OP's mainboard is failing; a component that lies outside the datapath exercised directly or indirectly by MemTest.

Rgds,

Old 07-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Nilesh Govindrajan

On Jul 13, 2012 8:30 AM, "Pandu Poluan" <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2012 9:49 AM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:

> > By GNOME you mean, gnome-shell? Do the crashes occur randomly, or can

> > you reproduce them? Same with PulseAudio.

Yeah gnome shell. There are no traces about segfaults in dmesg for gnome shell crashes. It happens whenever I open more than 3 windows in one single virtual desktop (activity).

About pulseaudio, it works, but I always see segfault message from the equalizer module in dmesg.

> > https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Debugging

> > Have you tried don what this page instructs?

Will try that if it crashes after the current rebuild (dual core 2 ghz, takes lot of time).

> > I've been using GNOME 3 since May last year. No major problems so far.

> 90% of NREs (Non Reproducible Errors) are caused by hardware problems.

> MemTest, albeit a good and thorough diagnostic utility, only checks for memory problem.

> It is likely that some other component on the OP's mainboard is failing; a component that lies outside the datapath exercised directly or indirectly by MemTest.

> Rgds,

What component could it be? Or is there some way to dig in?

Old 07-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Jul 13, 2012 7:46 PM, "Nilesh Govindrajan" <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2012 8:30 AM, "Pandu Poluan" <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> > On Jul 13, 2012 9:49 AM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > By GNOME you mean, gnome-shell? Do the crashes occur randomly, or can

> > > you reproduce them? Same with PulseAudio.

> Yeah gnome shell. There are no traces about segfaults in dmesg for gnome shell crashes. It happens whenever I open more than 3 windows in one single virtual desktop (activity).

> About pulseaudio, it works, but I always see segfault message from the equalizer module in dmesg.

> > > https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Debugging

> > > Have you tried don what this page instructs?

> Will try that if it crashes after the current rebuild (dual core 2 ghz, takes lot of time).

> > > I've been using GNOME 3 since May last year. No major problems so far.

> > 90% of NREs (Non Reproducible Errors) are caused by hardware problems.

> > MemTest, albeit a good and thorough diagnostic utility, only checks for memory problem.

> > It is likely that some other component on the OP's mainboard is failing; a component that lies outside the datapath exercised directly or indirectly by MemTest.

> > Rgds,

> What component could it be? Or is there some way to dig in?

Could be anything, actually. Perhaps the Southbridge (or whatever its nom de jour is) which IIRC handles the sound system. (Because Pulseaudio is also having trouble).

Rgds,

Old 07-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Hinnerk van Bruinehsen

On 13.07.2012 17:24, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2012 7:46 PM, "Nilesh Govindrajan"
> <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 13, 2012 8:30 AM, "Pandu Poluan" <pandu@poluan.info>
>> wrote:

>> Yeah gnome shell. There are no traces about segfaults in dmesg
>> for gnome
> shell crashes. It happens whenever I open more than 3 windows in
> one single virtual desktop (activity).
>>
>> About pulseaudio, it works, but I always see segfault message
>> from the
> equalizer module in dmesg.

>> Will try that if it crashes after the current rebuild (dual core
>> 2 ghz,
> takes lot of time).

>>> 90% of NREs (Non Reproducible Errors) are caused by hardware
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> MemTest, albeit a good and thorough diagnostic utility, only
>>> checks for
> memory problem.
>>>
>>> It is likely that some other component on the OP's mainboard
>>> is
> failing; a component that lies outside the datapath exercised
> directly or indirectly by MemTest.
>>>
>>> Rgds,
>>
>> What component could it be? Or is there some way to dig in?
>
> Could be anything, actually. Perhaps the Southbridge (or whatever
> its nom de jour is) which IIRC handles the sound system. (Because
> Pulseaudio is also having trouble).
>
> Rgds,

I have similar problems with pulseaudio (seemingly random crashes
since the update to 2.0) though I haven't had time to debug it due to
exams right now.

WKR
Hinnerk

Old 07-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Nilesh Govindrajan

On Jul 13, 2012 9:07 PM, "Hinnerk van Bruinehsen" <h.v.bruinehsen@fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> On 13.07.2012 17:24, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> > On Jul 13, 2012 7:46 PM, "Nilesh Govindrajan"

> > <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:

> >> Yeah gnome shell. There are no traces about segfaults in dmesg

> >> for gnome

> > shell crashes. It happens whenever I open more than 3 windows in

> > one single virtual desktop (activity).

> >> About pulseaudio, it works, but I always see segfault message

> >> from the

> > equalizer module in dmesg.

> >> Will try that if it crashes after the current rebuild (dual core

> >> 2 ghz,

> > takes lot of time).

> > memory problem.

> > failing; a component that lies outside the datapath exercised

> > directly or indirectly by MemTest.

> >> What component could it be? Or is there some way to dig in?

> > Could be anything, actually. Perhaps the Southbridge (or whatever

> > its nom de jour is) which IIRC handles the sound system. (Because

> > Pulseaudio is also having trouble).

> > Rgds,

> I have similar problems with pulseaudio (seemingly random crashes

> since the update to 2.0) though I haven't had time to debug it due to

> exams right now.

> WKR

> Hinnerk

And what about segfaults in conftest and libglib? Happened sometime ago. Http://bpaste.net/show/34833

Would a complete fresh install of gentoo do any good? There are still some 200+ packages left to build.

Also, can it be by chance a loose connection in some of the component?

<offtopic>

I got a new adata ssd recently and this is getting bad now. Though it has 3 year warranty, but still I wanted to keep it as long as possible. With this many number of writes it would die soon. Probably on 1 day past when the 3rd year ends as it usually happens.

</offtopic>

I've got so addicted to gentoo's customization that it was even hard for me to try arch from where I entered the world of rolling release.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Nilesh Govindrajan

On Jul 13, 2012 9:07 PM, "Hinnerk van Bruinehsen" <h.v.bruinehsen@fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> On 13.07.2012 17:24, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> > On Jul 13, 2012 7:46 PM, "Nilesh Govindrajan"

> > <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:

> >> Yeah gnome shell. There are no traces about segfaults in dmesg

> >> for gnome

> > shell crashes. It happens whenever I open more than 3 windows in

> > one single virtual desktop (activity).

> >> About pulseaudio, it works, but I always see segfault message

> >> from the

> > equalizer module in dmesg.

> >> Will try that if it crashes after the current rebuild (dual core

> >> 2 ghz,

> > takes lot of time).

> > memory problem.

> > failing; a component that lies outside the datapath exercised

> > directly or indirectly by MemTest.

> >> What component could it be? Or is there some way to dig in?

> > Could be anything, actually. Perhaps the Southbridge (or whatever

> > its nom de jour is) which IIRC handles the sound system. (Because

> > Pulseaudio is also having trouble).

> > Rgds,

> I have similar problems with pulseaudio (seemingly random crashes

> since the update to 2.0) though I haven't had time to debug it due to

> exams right now.

> WKR

> Hinnerk

And what about segfaults in conftest and libglib? Happened sometime ago. Http://bpaste.net/show/34833

Would a complete fresh install of gentoo do any good? There are still some 200+ packages left to build.

Also, can it be by chance a loose connection in some of the component?

<offtopic>

I got a new adata ssd recently and this is getting bad now. Though it has 3 year warranty, but still I wanted to keep it as long as possible. With this many number of writes it would die soon. Probably on 1 day past when the 3rd year ends as it usually happens.

</offtopic>

I've got so addicted to gentoo's customization that it was even hard to install arch from where I entered the world of rolling release distros.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Michael Hampicke

> Lately, ever since I installed gnome3 (3.2), a lot of things have gone
> unstable. Gnome crashes a lot and pulseaudio too, on every start (I see a
> segfault by the equalizer module).

I had lots of graphics related problems with gnome3.2 - from render
errors to system freezes. So in a desperate move I unmasked gnome3.4
(from the overlay) and installed it. Installing (and maintaining) 3.4 is
a bit hairy, but all my problems have gone since that.

So if recompiling with O2 does not help, and you don't mind bleeding
edge packages on your system, try 3.4

Old 07-14-2012, 04:24 AM
Nilesh Govindrajan

On Sat 14 Jul 2012 07:22:33 AM IST, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:

On Jul 13, 2012 10:37 PM, "Michael Hampicke" <gentoo-user@hadt.biz
<mailto:gentoo-user@hadt.biz>> wrote:

> > Lately, ever since I installed gnome3 (3.2), a lot of things have gone
> > unstable. Gnome crashes a lot and pulseaudio too, on every start
(I see a
> > segfault by the equalizer module).
>
> I had lots of graphics related problems with gnome3.2 - from render
> errors to system freezes. So in a desperate move I unmasked gnome3.4
> (from the overlay) and installed it. Installing (and maintaining) 3.4 is
> a bit hairy, but all my problems have gone since that.
>
> So if recompiling with O2 does not help, and you don't mind bleeding
> edge packages on your system, try 3.4

Already on gnome 3.4, unmasked from default portage, no overlay.

Complete rebuild over with O2, still getting these errors:

Http://bpaste.net/show/34934

It seems I was using only gnome-shell 3.4 and did not update others. Now
I unmasked 3.4 completely (gnome-base/*, gnome-extra/*).

It's much more stable than 3.2, except for the two faults I pasted above.

Watching this thing now for crashes, will post update soon.

--
Nilesh Govindrajan
http://nileshgr.com