Old 04-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Roger Mason

Default NFS through a firewall

Hello,

I'm trying to configure the firewall on a client to allow that client
to mount an nfs directory. The client runs a netfilter firewall, the
server uses tcpwrapper.

rpcinfo -p on the server shows:

beryl rmason # rpcinfo -p
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100024 1 udp 32765 status
100024 1 tcp 32765 status
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
100021 1 udp 4001 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 4001 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 4001 nlockmgr
100021 1 tcp 4001 nlockmgr
100021 3 tcp 4001 nlockmgr
100021 4 tcp 4001 nlockmgr
100005 1 udp 32767 mountd
100005 1 tcp 32767 mountd
100005 2 udp 32767 mountd
100005 2 tcp 32767 mountd
100005 3 udp 32767 mountd
100005 3 tcp 32767 mountd

When I try to mount the exported directory when the firewall is
running I get a timeout:

minnie ~ $ mount -v Help/
mount: trying 134.153.37.5 prog 100003 vers 3 prot tcp port 2049
mount: trying 134.153.37.5 prog 100005 vers 3 prot udp port 32767
mount: mount to NFS server 'beryl.esd.mun.ca' failed: timed out
(retrying).

If I drop the client firewall the mount succeeds.

Can someone help me figure out what must be put in my iptables script
to get this to work?

Thanks,
Roger