Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Jarry

Default OT: HW-raid1 & SSD?

Hi,

I'm building small server for VPS-hosting purpose (not decided
yet, probably KVM or ESXi). Althought it is "non production",
reliability is still issue for me. I'm considering using two
small SSD (ie. Intel 313, 24GB, SLC) in hw-raid1 (Adaptec 3805)
just for hypervisor, and 2xHDD/raid1 for VPS.

I started looking for info on internet but results are not
conclusive. Opinions vary from "no problem, use SSD&raid1"
to "using SSD in raid is not recommended no matter if it is
SW or HW". Mostly missing trim-command is mentioned as reason
for not using SSD in any raid.

Does anyone have any experience with SSD in raid (SW or HW)?
Is it safe to use it on server?

Jarry