Old 07-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Joseph

Default better alternative to NX

Are there better alternative to NX?

--
Joseph

Old 07-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Alex Schuster

Joseph writes:

> Are there better alternative to NX?

I don't know. The commercial original version from nomachine.org
(net-misc/nxserver-freeedition) was said to be somewhat faster than FreeNX
(net-misc/nxserver-freenx), not sure if this is still true, but as
FreeNX is dead, it's probably right. For up to two users, original NX is
free, you only need to pay for more users.

Then there's net-misc/neatx from Google, I don't know about this. The
successor of FreeNX is X2Go (net-misc/x2go{server,client}), but I did not
have any success with that yet. I didn't try much, though.

Wonko

Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Joseph

I don't know. The commercial original version from nomachine.org
(net-misc/nxserver-freeedition) was said to be somewhat faster than FreeNX
(net-misc/nxserver-freenx), not sure if this is still true, but as
FreeNX is dead, it's probably right. For up to two users, original NX is
free, you only need to pay for more users.

Then there's net-misc/neatx from Google, I don't know about this. The
successor of FreeNX is X2Go (net-misc/x2go{server,client}), but I did not
have any success with that yet. I didn't try much, though.

Wonko

Do you have a good link how to setup net-misc/neatx on Gentoo?
I'm not having much luck with nxserver-freenx, how I have key authentication problem.

--
Joseph

Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Alex Schuster

Joseph writes:

> Do you have a good link how to setup net-misc/neatx on Gentoo?

No. I installed Beatx once, but that was on Fedora I think. The
system got another distro soon after, so Neatx was abandoned. There is
no development for it any more, so the next remote desktop service was
FreeNX again.

> I'm not having much luck with nxserver-freenx, how I have key
> authentication problem.

nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key maybe? This manual step is necessary after
installation.

Wonko