-   -   better alternative to NX (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/681690-better-alternative-nx.html)

Joseph 07-09-2012 05:05 PM

better alternative to NX

Are there better alternative to NX?

--
Joseph

Alex Schuster 07-09-2012 05:30 PM

better alternative to NX

Joseph writes:

> Are there better alternative to NX?

I don't know. The commercial original version from nomachine.org
(net-misc/nxserver-freeedition) was said to be somewhat faster than FreeNX
(net-misc/nxserver-freenx), not sure if this is still true, but as
FreeNX is dead, it's probably right. For up to two users, original NX is
free, you only need to pay for more users.

Then there's net-misc/neatx from Google, I don't know about this. The
successor of FreeNX is X2Go (net-misc/x2go{server,client}), but I did not
have any success with that yet. I didn't try much, though.

Wonko

Joseph 07-09-2012 07:50 PM

better alternative to NX

I don't know. The commercial original version from nomachine.org
(net-misc/nxserver-freeedition) was said to be somewhat faster than FreeNX
(net-misc/nxserver-freenx), not sure if this is still true, but as
FreeNX is dead, it's probably right. For up to two users, original NX is
free, you only need to pay for more users.

Then there's net-misc/neatx from Google, I don't know about this. The
successor of FreeNX is X2Go (net-misc/x2go{server,client}), but I did not
have any success with that yet. I didn't try much, though.

Wonko

Do you have a good link how to setup net-misc/neatx on Gentoo?
I'm not having much luck with nxserver-freenx, how I have key authentication problem.

--
Joseph

Alex Schuster 07-09-2012 08:31 PM

better alternative to NX

Joseph writes:

> Do you have a good link how to setup net-misc/neatx on Gentoo?

No. I installed Beatx once, but that was on Fedora I think. The
system got another distro soon after, so Neatx was abandoned. There is
no development for it any more, so the next remote desktop service was
FreeNX again.

> I'm not having much luck with nxserver-freenx, how I have key
> authentication problem.

nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key maybe? This manual step is necessary after
installation.

Wonko