Old 07-08-2012, 06:32 PM

Default profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base ... Cannot create directory

Hello!
I noticed some strange messages in my ~/.xsession-errors log-file
today. They look like this:

profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base:Cannot create directory
profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfce4-session-4.6.1-r1/work/xfce4-session-4.6.1/xfce4-session/xfce4_session-ice-layer.gcda:Skip
profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base:Cannot create directory
profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfce4-session-4.6.1-r1/work/xfce4-session-4.6.1/xfce4-session/xfce4_session-main.gcda:Skip
. . .
and so on.

I haven't seen such messages before, that is why decided to ask here
about what they mean. It is also strange that they mention the
'/var/tmp/portage/' directory. Maybe something is wrong with
installation system?

Thanks.
Vladimir

-----
<v_2e@ukr.net>

Old 07-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM, <v_2e@ukr.net> wrote:
> Hello!
> I noticed some strange messages in my ~/.xsession-errors log-file
> today. They look like this:
>
> profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base:Cannot create directory
> profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfce4-session-4.6.1-r1/work/xfce4-session-4.6.1/xfce4-session/xfce4_session-ice-layer.gcda:Skip
> profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base:Cannot create directory
> profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfce4-session-4.6.1-r1/work/xfce4-session-4.6.1/xfce4-session/xfce4_session-main.gcda:Skip
> . . .
> and so on.
>
> I haven't seen such messages before, that is why decided to ask here
> about what they mean. It is also strange that they mention the
> '/var/tmp/portage/' directory. Maybe something is wrong with
> installation system?
>
> Thanks.
> Vladimir
>

> -----
> <v_2e@ukr.net>

Out of space?

eclean-dist -pd possibly?

Cheers,
Mark

Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Chandler Paul

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 07:29:15 +0700
Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2012 1:39 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM, <v_2e@ukr.net> wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > > I noticed some strange messages in my ~/.xsession-errors
> > > log-file today. They look like this:
> > >
> > > profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base:Cannot create directory
> > >
> profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfce4-session-4.6.1-r1/work/xfce4-session-4.6.1/xfce4-session/xfce4_session-ice-layer.gcda:Skip
> > > profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base:Cannot create directory
> > >
> profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfce4-session-4.6.1-r1/work/xfce4-session-4.6.1/xfce4-session/xfce4_session-main.gcda:Skip
> > > . . .
> > > and so on.
> > >
> > > I haven't seen such messages before, that is why decided to ask
> > > here about what they mean. It is also strange that they mention
> > > the '/var/tmp/portage/' directory. Maybe something is wrong with
> > > installation system?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > > Vladimir
> > >

> > > -----
> > > <v_2e@ukr.net>
> > >

> > Out of space?
> >
> > eclean-dist -pd possibly?
> >

> Or out of inodes. I've painstakingly learnt to host the portage build
> directory on reiserfs instead of ext3/4.
>
> Rgds,

No, I don't think so. I've built things as large as Libreoffice on ext4
before. I can't imagine many situations where you could ever possibly
run out of inodes.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Pandu Poluan

Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 AM

Hello!

On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 11:36:21 -0700
Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM, <v_2e@ukr.net> wrote:
> > Hello!
> > I noticed some strange messages in my ~/.xsession-errors log-file
> > today. They look like this:
> >
> > profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base:Cannot create directory
> > profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfce4-session-4.6.1-r1/work/xfce4-session-4.6.1/xfce4-session/xfce4_session-ice-layer.gcda:Skip
> > profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base:Cannot create directory
> > profiling:/var/tmp/portage/xfce-base/xfce4-session-4.6.1-r1/work/xfce4-session-4.6.1/xfce4-session/xfce4_session-main.gcda:Skip
> > . . .
> > and so on.
> >
> > I haven't seen such messages before, that is why decided to ask
> > here about what they mean. It is also strange that they mention the
> > '/var/tmp/portage/' directory. Maybe something is wrong with
> > installation system?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Vladimir
>
> Out of space?
>
> eclean-dist -pd possibly?
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 07:29:15 +0700
Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> Or out of inodes. I've painstakingly learnt to host the portage build
> directory on reiserfs instead of ext3/4.
>
> Rgds,

I have enough free space on my '/' partition (although I'm not sure
about free inodes). But in any case, why should Xfce create something
in '/var/tmp/portage' at all? That's probably the main question.

Thanks.
Vladimir

-----
<v_2e@ukr.net>

Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 AM

Hello!

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 08:51:32 +0800
microcai <microcai@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> You forgot to disable pgo when you compile some xfce-session .

What is 'pgo'?

Thanks.
Vladimir
-----