FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Chandler Paul
 
Default Issues with Cando touch screen

Hello, recently I got my hands on a Lenovo S10-3t with a Cando touch screen built in, and although I have gotten the touch screen to work, I am having some issues with it. For one, I want to be able to configure it so that I can hold my finger down in a position and automatically have it do a right click after holding it there for a few seconds. According to what I have read on the internet, I should be able to easily do this simply by setting the option "ThirdButtonEmulation" in the evdev configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to "on", however, this does not seem to make any difference even though I can see Xorg picking up the configuration option on boot in the logs. I have also tried to set this during run time by using xinput, however this has made no difference either.
In addition, window borders in Xfce also do not seem to respond I try to interact with them using my touch screen. I cannot close windows, drag them, resize them, or even give them focus by trying to use their titlebars. However, when I try to use my touch pad, then I have absolutely no problem with it. I have looked all over Google, talked in multiple chat rooms, and posted on the forums here, but I have had no luck. Hopefully you guys can help. I have attached /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/05-evdev.conf with this e-mail. Thank you.
 
Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 PM
walt
 
Default Issues with Cando touch screen

On 07/07/2012 02:26 PM, Chandler Paul wrote:
> I should be able to easily do this simply by setting the option
> "ThirdButtonEmulation" in the evdev configuration file in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to "on", however, this does not seem to make
> any difference even though I can see Xorg picking up the
> configuration option on boot in the logs.

I had similar problems configuring a non-standard mouse. By using
xev to examine mouse-clicks I discovered that the button numbering
was completely different from what I expected. Maybe your touch
screen is doing something similar?
 
Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Chandler Paul
 
Default Issues with Cando touch screen

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 05:30:23 -0700
walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had similar problems configuring a non-standard mouse. By using
> xev to examine mouse-clicks I discovered that the button numbering
> was completely different from what I expected. Maybe your touch
> screen is doing something similar?

A good suggestion, but after checking it doesn't look like that's the issue, I see Xev showing that the click events are returning button 1.
 
Old 07-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Chandler Paul
 
Default Issues with Cando touch screen

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 14:36:26 -0700
walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you generate any other events beside button1-down/up? Maybe by
> sliding your finger across the screen? I imagine that if I were
> designing such a gadget I'd want a finger-slide to translate to a
> scroll-wheel event. What events does your touchpad generate?

No, not yet. Such is possible with the use of other programs, however for the time being I really just want to get right clicking to work, along with being able to control windows.
And my touch pad seems to generate the same button 1 events when I left click it, if that's what you were asking.
 
Old 07-08-2012, 09:36 PM
walt
 
Default Issues with Cando touch screen

On 07/08/2012 06:02 AM, Chandler Paul wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 05:30:23 -0700 walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I had similar problems configuring a non-standard mouse. By using
>> xev to examine mouse-clicks I discovered that the button numbering
>> was completely different from what I expected. Maybe your touch
>> screen is doing something similar?

> A good suggestion, but after checking it doesn't look like that's the
> issue, I see Xev showing that the click events are returning button 1.

I'm happy to know that because I know nothing about touch-screens and
I think I'd better learn now while I still have some brain cells left

Can you generate any other events beside button1-down/up? Maybe by
sliding your finger across the screen? I imagine that if I were
designing such a gadget I'd want a finger-slide to translate to a
scroll-wheel event. What events does your touchpad generate?
 
Old 07-09-2012, 12:20 PM
walt
 
Default Issues with Cando touch screen

On 07/08/2012 10:58 AM, Chandler Paul wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 14:36:26 -0700 walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can you generate any other events beside button1-down/up? Maybe
>> by sliding your finger across the screen? I imagine that if I
>> were designing such a gadget I'd want a finger-slide to translate
>> to a scroll-wheel event. What events does your touchpad generate?
>
> No, not yet. Such is possible with the use of other programs, however
> for the time being I really just want to get right clicking to work,
> along with being able to control windows. And my touch pad seems to
> generate the same button 1 events when I left click it, if that's
> what you were asking.

Thanks. I see you're getting good advice in the xorg mailing list,
so I'll shut up now and leave it to the experts
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:34 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org