Old 07-07-2012, 02:14 PM
walt

Default qemu not working on a P3M

On 07/07/2012 06:17 AM, William Kenworthy wrote:
> Ive installed app-emulation/qemu
> and app-emulation/kqemu but there is no "qemu" binary and programs like
> qemu-i386 just print a limited help and wont accept the usual arguments
> - its almost like a wrapper is missing.

I don't use the gentoo qemu package, I build my own from the git repo,
so my answer may not apply to you.

Qemu supplies two different binaries: one you can run as an unprivileged
user (usually named qemu-i386 or whatever) and another that needs special
privileges (usually named gemu-system-i386 or whatever).

(Qemu will also take advantage of hardware virtualization via the kernel
modules if it's configured that way, but you need to use the -kvm flag
on the command line to make it work.)

I always use the qemu-system-i386 flavor so I don't even know how to use
the userspace version. Someone else here will surely know how.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:32 PM
walt

On 07/07/2012 07:14 AM, walt wrote:
> Qemu supplies two different binaries: one you can run as an unprivileged
> user (usually named qemu-i386 or whatever) and another that needs special
> privileges (usually named gemu-system-i386 or whatever).

I just remembered that installing the git version actually does give you
a binary named 'qemu' but I never understood how that relates to the other
two binaries, so I've never used that one either

Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 PM
"wdk@moriah"

if I try and use qemu-386 it has limited cmd line options according to -h, and barfs on any of the normal options such as -cdrom - hence my feeling its missing a wrapper.

thanks, might have to do git to see if its different.
BillK

Old 07-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Bill Kenworthy

On Sun, 2012-07-08 at 07:19 +0800, wdk@moriah wrote:
> if I try and use qemu-386 it has limited cmd line options according to -h, and barfs on any of the normal options such as -cdrom - hence my feeling its missing a wrapper.
>
> thanks, might have to do git to see if its different.
> BillK
>
> On 07/07/2012, at 22:32, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 07/07/2012 07:14 AM, walt wrote:
> >> Qemu supplies two different binaries: one you can run as an unprivileged
> >> user (usually named qemu-i386 or whatever) and another that needs special
> >> privileges (usually named gemu-system-i386 or whatever).
> >
> > I just remembered that installing the git version actually does give you
> > a binary named 'qemu' but I never understood how that relates to the other
> > two binaries, so I've never used that one either

Solved - might help others ...

Thanks Walt for the hints.

Most of the gentoo/qemu guides are seriously out of date and
semi-useless.

You need certain kernel features enabled, otherwise qemu will just
silently give you very limited set of options and basically wont run,
and wont tell you why. Which options ... I just turned on everything
with VM in it.

You need the following in make.conf:
QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS="i386"
QEMU_USER_TARGETS="i386"
to build x86 only

qemu-kvm has simple script to start it up:
moriah qemu # cat `which qemu-kvm`
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 --enable-kvm "$@"
moriah qemu #

Other qemu ebuilds dont install a similar script. The qemu-user ebuild
installs static builds (or at least they have static in the name - why?)
You need to run qemu-system-i386 to start the emulator.

On a P3M I am using the app-emulation/qemu and app-emulation/kqemu
ebuilds - not sure if I need kqemu so that needs testing when I get a
guest installed. kqemu needs a user patch on 3.4.4 but builds and
inserts ok once patched.

The app-emulation/qemu-kvm installs but dies on a P3 when you try and
run it - needs a cpu with the right VM facilities.

Oh, and I installed from git to test ... and found it didnt have an
uninstall. messy! Makes one appreciate ebuilds/gentoo and devs
Part of my problem was using vmware and bochs/qemu for years and having
legacy ideas on whats required.

BillK