Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 PM
William Kenworthy

Default qemu not working on a P3M

I have been using qemu to run windows and gentoo vms on gentoo for some
years and moved to qemu-kvm a while back - works well on my current
Intel core 2 desktop

I have decided to give VMware-workstation the boot off my work laptop
(even with work paying for a licence its just too hard to keep it
running) so after upgrading to kernel 3.4.4 and finding my existing
vmware wont build modules any more I installed qemu.

But that wont run either - its a P3M which means (correct me if wrong)
so it wont run qemu-kvm. So Ive installed app-emulation/qemu
and app-emulation/kqemu but there is no "qemu" binary and programs like
qemu-i386 just print a limited help and wont accept the usual arguments
- its almost like a wrapper is missing.

Can someone offer a guide or suggestions on how to get qemu working?

BillK

* I could use virtual box which would probably work but I prefer qemu -
its been less of a hassle over the years.