FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Allan Gottlieb
 
Default network scanner not seen by xsane on *some* systems

I have one network (a linksys) to which all my devices are attached.

I have two laptops running ~amd64 and one desktop running amd64.
I have one scanner, an hp officejet 7310 that is (wired) ethernet
attached.

When I try xsane from either laptop I receive the popup saying that no
devices are found. From the desktop all is well.

I can print to the 7310 from all three machines.
I can ping the 7310 from all machines.

I would appreciate suggestions for finding the problem.

thanks,
allan
 
Old 07-07-2012, 11:27 AM
walt
 
Default network scanner not seen by xsane on *some* systems

On 07/06/2012 05:35 PM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> I have one network (a linksys) to which all my devices are attached.
>
> I have two laptops running ~amd64 and one desktop running amd64.
> I have one scanner, an hp officejet 7310 that is (wired) ethernet
> attached.
>
> When I try xsane from either laptop I receive the popup saying that no
> devices are found. From the desktop all is well.
>
> I can print to the 7310 from all three machines.
> I can ping the 7310 from all machines.

That's pretty strange, for sure. I assume you have cups and hplip on
all three?

When I use a web browser on localhost:631 I can see two printers on each
machine: hp_LaserJet_3015 and hp_LaserJet_3015_fax. (No 3015_scanner, but
I figure the 'fax' doubles as the scanner.)

Do you have the 'fax' device on your laptops?
 
Old 07-07-2012, 02:26 PM
walt
 
Default network scanner not seen by xsane on *some* systems

On 07/07/2012 04:27 AM, walt wrote:

> Do you have the 'fax' device on your laptops?

BTW, did you 'install' the printer devices with hp-setup?
 
Old 07-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Hinnerk van Bruinehsen
 
Default network scanner not seen by xsane on *some* systems

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07.07.2012 02:35, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> I have one network (a linksys) to which all my devices are
> attached.
>
> I have two laptops running ~amd64 and one desktop running amd64. I
> have one scanner, an hp officejet 7310 that is (wired) ethernet
> attached.
>
> When I try xsane from either laptop I receive the popup saying that
> no devices are found. From the desktop all is well.
>
> I can print to the 7310 from all three machines. I can ping the
> 7310 from all machines.
>
> I would appreciate suggestions for finding the problem.
>
> thanks, allan
>

Hi,

have you checked that the users on the laptops are members of the
scanner group?

WKR
Hinnerk

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJP+EgzAAoJEJwwOFaNFkYcnIwH/A/NWGYQbn+udTEHYR3QX2U1
+GU6JPyPhoOwgEa8mpI65nmM+b0e6Wr9QYS6O1nFtk7ZQVKHdN AaQbf/Y/pRHMGm
E3nWIe/+uz/1IfbSWPUqwZujC1x5UVagAGDWF0EI05kdQDF7S+ONBoY+hQlrM mnQ
FJLv5IiqUSrYJqI7y9LJy8ENSX00nwVeOKJ71Cx0X2i0XquTiw 2Fb1Y4tsgXt7yS
aaBhJhxR6mFbM1S19Logd97FuOJob3n2Vkp6+z1+8Fmu7X2dbJ rk+B/WrCsmh5yo
1V96PdwxLz8F2ATV3bX7AaAwqLLyOMycQASPLYd+MeuEgkiD0+/slNr5osXVi4g=
=aG+5
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
Old 07-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Allan Gottlieb
 
Default network scanner not seen by xsane on *some* systems

On Sat, Jul 07 2012, walt wrote:

> On 07/06/2012 05:35 PM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> I have one network (a linksys) to which all my devices are attached.
>>
>> I have two laptops running ~amd64 and one desktop running amd64.
>> I have one scanner, an hp officejet 7310 that is (wired) ethernet
>> attached.
>>
>> When I try xsane from either laptop I receive the popup saying that no
>> devices are found. From the desktop all is well.
>>
>> I can print to the 7310 from all three machines.
>> I can ping the 7310 from all machines.
>
> That's pretty strange, for sure. I assume you have cups and hplip on
> all three?

Yes.

> When I use a web browser on localhost:631 I can see two printers on each
> machine: hp_LaserJet_3015 and hp_LaserJet_3015_fax. (No 3015_scanner, but
> I figure the 'fax' doubles as the scanner.)
>
> Do you have the 'fax' device on your laptops?

Interesting. I set up the desktop printing several years ago and don't
really use it (except yesterday to confirm that xsane would fail, but it
succeeded).

Cups on the desktop says (ignoring another device, a p2055 laser printer)

Queue name Description location Make and model

Officejet_7300 found by hp-setup found by hp-setup HP Officejet 7300 Series
hpcups 3.9.12

ss hp 7310 on ss South Salem network HP Officejet 7300 Series
hpcups 3.9.12

I guess this means I added it both via cups and via hp-setup. No
explicit mention of fax. I am loath to mess with this until I get some
success elsewhere as it is my only way to scan.

On one laptop (again ignoring P2055) I had just

ss HP OfficeJet 7300 local lan HP Officejet 7300 Series
hpcups 3.12.4

This is a cups install as I recall that that I couldn't get hp-setup to
work. I tried hp-setup again and it prints

-error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12):
hpfax:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc=HPCC9932
error: Unable to communicate with the device. Please check the device
and try again.

I choose cancel and see the box with Printer Setup and Fax Setup,
the latter checked

If I click "add printer", hp-setup fails with the same msg as above.

However, CUPS now see both devices (plain and _fax) like yours.

xsane changes as well. Instead of "no devices" I get
"Failed to open device `hpaio:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc1HPCC((32':
Invalid argument."

Moreover the new printer entry in cups fails to print a test page (the
old, cups-installed, entry continues to work).

Thanks for your help.
allan
 
Old 07-07-2012, 03:11 PM
walt
 
Default network scanner not seen by xsane on *some* systems

On 07/07/2012 07:33 AM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> Moreover the new printer entry in cups fails to print a test page (the
> old, cups-installed, entry continues to work).

<sigh> Once again I forgot my number-one fallback move: I always delete
all the existing printer devices after upgrading cups (or hplip) and run
hp-setup to reinstall them. It has fixed many similar printing mysteries
for me in the past.

If in doubt, back up all of your cups configuration files first
 
Old 07-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Allan Gottlieb
 
Default network scanner not seen by xsane on *some* systems

On Sat, Jul 07 2012, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:

> On 07.07.2012 02:35, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> I have one network (a linksys) to which all my devices are
>> attached.
>>
>> I have two laptops running ~amd64 and one desktop running amd64. I
>> have one scanner, an hp officejet 7310 that is (wired) ethernet
>> attached.
>>
>> When I try xsane from either laptop I receive the popup saying that
>> no devices are found. From the desktop all is well.
>>
>> I can print to the 7310 from all three machines. I can ping the
>> 7310 from all machines.
>>
>> I would appreciate suggestions for finding the problem.
>>
>> thanks, allan
>>
>
> Hi,
>
> have you checked that the users on the laptops are members of the
> scanner group?
>
> WKR
> Hinnerk

Yes, the user (me) is a member.
thanks,
allan
 
Old 07-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Allan Gottlieb
 
Default network scanner not seen by xsane on *some* systems

On Sat, Jul 07 2012, walt wrote:

> On 07/07/2012 07:33 AM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> Moreover the new printer entry in cups fails to print a test page (the
>> old, cups-installed, entry continues to work).
>
> <sigh> Once again I forgot my number-one fallback move: I always delete
> all the existing printer devices after upgrading cups (or hplip) and run
> hp-setup to reinstall them. It has fixed many similar printing mysteries
> for me in the past.
>
> If in doubt, back up all of your cups configuration files first

I think I have done that in the past but let's do it again.

1. By mistake I first did the (working) desktop.

A. All printers deleted (via CUPS).

B. Tried hp-setup. If found the (irrelevant) laserjet and the all
in one officejet. But, at the end, said it couldn't install the
fax since hplip wasn't build with fax support (correct).

C. Everything still works! Can print and scan.

2. Next tried my backup laptop (it does emerge update world a day
before the main laptop). It is called oldlap.

A. All printers deleted (via CUPS).

B. /etc/init.d/cupsd restart

C. hp-setup: Tried Installing officejet. Again (correctly) says
hplip not build with fax support.

D. Fails to print test page (dialog below)

E. Can't print test page from CUPS (pending forever).

F. Can't scan. xsane says "failed to open device 'hpaio:...'"

G. Tried B-F for the laserjet with same bad result

thanks again,
allan


=============== hp-setup dialog =================

oldlap ~ # hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.6)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-14 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.)


--------------------------------
| SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |
--------------------------------

Num Connection Description
Type
-------- ---------- -----------------------------------------
0* usb Universal Serial Bus (USB)
1 net Network/Ethernet/Wireless
(direct connection or JetDirect)

Enter number 0...1 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 1

Using connection type: net

-----------------
| SELECT DEVICE |
-----------------

Num Device URI CUPS Printer(s)
--- ----------------------------------------- ------------------------
0 hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc=HPCC9932 Officejet_7300_series,
Officejet_7300_series, HPCC9932
1 hp:/net/HP_LaserJet_P2055dn?zc=lj2055 HP_LaserJet_P2055dn,
HP_LaserJet_P2055dn,lj2055

Enter number 0...1 for device (q=quit) ?0

Setting up device: hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc=HPCC9932

---------------------
| PRINT QUEUE SETUP |
---------------------

Please enter a name for this print queue (m=use model name:'Officejet_7300'*, q=quit) ?ss
Using queue name: ss
Locating PPD file... Please wait.
warning: No PPD found for model officejet_7300 using new algorithm. Trying old algorithm...

Found PPD file: drv:///hp/hpcups.drv/hp-officejet_7300_series.ppd
Enter a location description for this printer (q=quit) ?ss lan
Enter additonal information or notes for this printer (q=quit) ?hp-lip

Adding print queue to CUPS:
Device URI: hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc=HPCC9932
Queue name: ss
PPD file: drv:///hp/hpcups.drv/hp-officejet_7300_series.ppd
Location: ss lan
Information: hp-lip
error: Cannot setup fax - HPLIP not built with fax enabled.

---------------------
| PRINTER TEST PAGE |
---------------------

Would you like to print a test page (y=yes*, n=no, q=quit) ? y
warning: hp-testpage should not be run as root/superuser.

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.6)
Testpage Print Utility ver. 6.0

Copyright (c) 2001-14 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12): hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc=HPCC9932
error: Unable to print to printer. Please check device and try again.

note: If an error occured, or the test page failed to print, refer to the HPLIP website
note: at: http://hplip.sourceforge.net for troubleshooting and support.

Done.
oldlap ~ #
 
Old 07-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Michael Mol
 
Default network scanner not seen by xsane on *some* systems

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 07 2012, walt wrote:
>
>> On 07/07/2012 07:33 AM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>>> Moreover the new printer entry in cups fails to print a test page (the
>>> old, cups-installed, entry continues to work).
>>
>> <sigh> Once again I forgot my number-one fallback move: I always delete
>> all the existing printer devices after upgrading cups (or hplip) and run
>> hp-setup to reinstall them. It has fixed many similar printing mysteries
>> for me in the past.
>>
>> If in doubt, back up all of your cups configuration files first
>
> I think I have done that in the past but let's do it again.
>
> 1. By mistake I first did the (working) desktop.
>
> A. All printers deleted (via CUPS).
>
> B. Tried hp-setup. If found the (irrelevant) laserjet and the all
> in one officejet. But, at the end, said it couldn't install the
> fax since hplip wasn't build with fax support (correct).
>
> C. Everything still works! Can print and scan.
>
> 2. Next tried my backup laptop (it does emerge update world a day
> before the main laptop). It is called oldlap.
>
> A. All printers deleted (via CUPS).
>
> B. /etc/init.d/cupsd restart
>
> C. hp-setup: Tried Installing officejet. Again (correctly) says
> hplip not build with fax support.
>
> D. Fails to print test page (dialog below)
>
> E. Can't print test page from CUPS (pending forever).
>
> F. Can't scan. xsane says "failed to open device 'hpaio:...'"
>
> G. Tried B-F for the laserjet with same bad result
>
> thanks again,
> allan
>
>
> =============== hp-setup dialog =================
>
> oldlap ~ # hp-setup
>
> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.6)
> Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0
>
> Copyright (c) 2001-14 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
> under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.
>
> (Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.)
>
>
> --------------------------------
> | SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |
> --------------------------------
>
> Num Connection Description
> Type
> -------- ---------- -----------------------------------------
> 0* usb Universal Serial Bus (USB)
> 1 net Network/Ethernet/Wireless
> (direct connection or JetDirect)
>
> Enter number 0...1 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 1
>
> Using connection type: net
>
> -----------------
> | SELECT DEVICE |
> -----------------
>
> Num Device URI CUPS Printer(s)
> --- ----------------------------------------- ------------------------
> 0 hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc=HPCC9932 Officejet_7300_series,
> Officejet_7300_series, HPCC9932
> 1 hp:/net/HP_LaserJet_P2055dn?zc=lj2055 HP_LaserJet_P2055dn,
> HP_LaserJet_P2055dn,lj2055
>
> Enter number 0...1 for device (q=quit) ?0
>
> Setting up device: hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc=HPCC9932
>
> ---------------------
> | PRINT QUEUE SETUP |
> ---------------------
>
> Please enter a name for this print queue (m=use model name:'Officejet_7300'*, q=quit) ?ss
> Using queue name: ss
> Locating PPD file... Please wait.
> warning: No PPD found for model officejet_7300 using new algorithm. Trying old algorithm...
>
> Found PPD file: drv:///hp/hpcups.drv/hp-officejet_7300_series.ppd
> Enter a location description for this printer (q=quit) ?ss lan
> Enter additonal information or notes for this printer (q=quit) ?hp-lip
>
> Adding print queue to CUPS:
> Device URI: hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc=HPCC9932
> Queue name: ss
> PPD file: drv:///hp/hpcups.drv/hp-officejet_7300_series.ppd
> Location: ss lan
> Information: hp-lip
> error: Cannot setup fax - HPLIP not built with fax enabled.
>
> ---------------------
> | PRINTER TEST PAGE |
> ---------------------
>
> Would you like to print a test page (y=yes*, n=no, q=quit) ? y
> warning: hp-testpage should not be run as root/superuser.
>
> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.6)
> Testpage Print Utility ver. 6.0
>
> Copyright (c) 2001-14 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
> under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.
>
> error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12): hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc=HPCC9932
> error: Unable to print to printer. Please check device and try again.
>
> note: If an error occured, or the test page failed to print, refer to the HPLIP website
> note: at: http://hplip.sourceforge.net for troubleshooting and support.
>
> Done.
> oldlap ~ #
>

Stupid question...might your firewall be dropping packets? Check your
firewall logs.

Similarly, is there a difference in network connectivity between the
machine that works and the two that don't?

Also similarly, is the mfp on the wireless network along with the
functioning box, while the two nonfunctioning boxes are on the wired
side of your network? In that case, firewall and protection mechanisms
on the router might be interfering.

--
:wq
 
Old 07-07-2012, 11:54 PM
walt
 
Default network scanner not seen by xsane on *some* systems

On 07/07/2012 11:03 AM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12): hp:/net/Officejet_7300_series?zc=HPCC9932
> error: Unable to print to printer. Please check device and try again.

Make me want to throw your laptop out of my window

You can ping your printer, so I'd want to know what network traffic
is going/coming from cups/hplip, if any. (I really like ngrep because
it's absolutely trivial to use, so that's the tool I would use.)

I saw this simple test on the hplip debugging website:



Determine the IP address of your printer by printing out the network
configuration page (or if you know it or can determine it in another way)

Run:

$ hp-makeuri <ip-address>

For example:

$ hp-makeuri 192.168.1.1

This will result in a device URI printed to the console. For example:

hp:/net/Officejet_9100_series?ip=192.168.1.1

Copy this device URI
Open the CUPS UI:

http://localhost:631

(or YasT, etc) and install the printer by pasting the generated URI.

I noticed that your hp:/<etc> URI looks reasonable, but I'd try using
the ip address directly as an experiment. It's very quick even if
it's useless
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:41 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org