-   -   Everything disappeared from world list (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/680599-everything-disappeared-world-list.html)

Bill Kenworthy 07-06-2012 03:30 AM

Everything disappeared from world list

On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 08:41 +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> Hi,
> I yesterday got a ssd to replace my kaput hdd which had no data but
> os.
> Apparently something went wrong while migration, and now everything
> disappeared in portage's world list.
>
> So whenever I run depclean it tries to remove all packages. How to fix
> this?
>
> I don't have data on original hdd now, zeroed it.

troll ~ # regenworld --help
This script regenerates the portage world file by checking the portage
logfile for all actions that you've done in the past. It ignores any
arguments except --help. It is recommended that you make a backup of
your existing world file (/var/lib/portage/world) before using this
tool.
troll ~ #

Mark Knecht 07-06-2012 03:34 AM

Everything disappeared from world list

Replying on Kindle. Short suggestion is recreate
/var/lib/portage/world by hand by adding what you know you want
installed.

Good luck,
Mark

Frank Peters 07-06-2012 04:04 AM

Everything disappeared from world list

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 20:34:12 -0700
Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> Replying on Kindle. Short suggestion is recreate
> /var/lib/portage/world by hand by adding what you know you want
> installed.

AFAIK, Gentoo does not have a script or an option to back up the
world file and other associated files.

After I finish even a small update, I will run my own script
to copy /var/lib/portage and /var/db/pkg to another drive for
safekeeping. There may not be much point in doing so. If my
main HDD fails I will have to reinstall the entire OS, but
just in case of some freak accident that may affect the world
file I will make the backup.

My whole system I will backup once a week, and all very important
new data will be backed up (almost) immediately.

Frank Peters

Daniel Wagener 07-06-2012 06:52 AM

Everything disappeared from world list

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 00:04:35 -0400
Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 20:34:12 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Replying on Kindle. Short suggestion is recreate
> > /var/lib/portage/world by hand by adding what you know you want
> > installed.
>
> AFAIK, Gentoo does not have a script or an option to back up the
> world file and other associated files.

Regenerate world does ring a bell here though… unfortunately I have no internet connection for googling right now
perhaps something with equery

emaint world however is not what I think of, though it might be worth a try, dunno what it actually does, maybe it will just say it cannot find world

Neil Bothwick 07-06-2012 08:26 AM

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 20:34:12 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Replying on Kindle. Short suggestion is recreate
> /var/lib/portage/world by hand by adding what you know you want
> installed.

That's how I'd do it, except by using emerge -n instead of editing the
file by hand.

emerge -cp
emerge -n any packages in the list you know you want
rinse and repeat

--
Neil Bothwick

WYTYSYDG - What you thought you saw, you didn't get.

Mark Knecht 07-06-2012 01:48 PM

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Replying on Kindle. Short suggestion is recreate
> /var/lib/portage/world by hand by adding what you know you want
> installed.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark

Answering from computer now. A couple of ideas:

1) Copy one of my world files to your /var/lib/portage/world. Attached
at the end. This is for a typical KDE/nvidia desktop machine. Adjust
as you see fit. Run emerge -pvDuN @world and adjust the world file to
match your machines goals.

or...

2) I can't verify Neil's emerge -cp suggestion here as there's nothing
emerge wants to depclean but I suspect it would work fine. (Can't
remember when Neil last suggested something that didn't!) As an
alternative try

eix -Ic

which produces a list of all packages installed. Look for the ones
where the package names are green as they are the packages that should
be in your world file. All the gray ones are dependencies. Use Neil's
emerge -n to add them in.

HTH,
Mark

c2stable ~ # cat /var/lib/portage/world
app-admin/checkrestart
app-admin/logrotate
app-admin/syslog-ng
app-cdr/cdrtools
app-cdr/dvd+rw-tools
app-editors/vim
app-emulation/virtualbox
app-emulation/virtualbox-extpack-oracle
app-emulation/vmware-player
app-forensics/chkrootkit
app-misc/screen
app-portage/eix
app-portage/gentoolkit
app-portage/layman
app-portage/mirrorselect
app-portage/portage-utils
app-text/acroread
dev-util/strace
dev-vcs/git
dev-vcs/subversion
games-fps/nexuiz
kde-base/kde-meta
kde-base/kmix
mail-client/mailx
mail-mta/ssmtp
media-fonts/arphicfonts
media-fonts/bitstream-cyberbit
media-fonts/droid
media-fonts/font-bitstream-100dpi
media-fonts/font-bitstream-75dpi
media-fonts/font-bitstream-speedo
media-fonts/font-bitstream-type1
media-fonts/font-schumacher-misc
media-fonts/freefont-ttf
media-fonts/freefonts
media-fonts/ipamonafont
media-fonts/ja-ipafonts
media-fonts/liberation-fonts
media-fonts/libertine-ttf
media-fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera
media-fonts/wqy-microhei
media-fonts/wqy-zenhei
media-gfx/imagemagick
media-libs/exiftool
media-libs/mesa
media-sound/alsa-tools
media-sound/alsa-utils
media-video/handbrake
media-video/nvidia-settings
media-video/smplayer::gentoo
media-video/xine-ui
net-analyzer/iftop
net-analyzer/nethogs
net-analyzer/nettop
net-dns/noip-updater
net-fs/samba
net-misc/ntp
net-misc/rdesktop
net-misc/telnet-bsd
net-misc/whois
sys-apps/dstat
sys-apps/hdparm
sys-apps/hwinfo
sys-apps/less
sys-apps/lshw
sys-apps/microcode-ctl
sys-apps/mlocate
sys-apps/portage
sys-apps/smartmontools
sys-boot/grub-static
sys-fs/dosfstools
sys-fs/fuse
sys-fs/mdadm
sys-fs/ncdu
sys-fs/sysfsutils
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:3.2.12
sys-kernel/module-rebuild
sys-power/apcupsd
sys-power/cpufrequtils
sys-power/powertop
sys-process/htop
sys-process/iotop
sys-process/lsof
sys-process/time
sys-process/vixie-cron
virtual/jdk
virtual/jre
virtual/opencl
www-client/firefox
www-client/google-chrome
x11-apps/mesa-progs
x11-apps/xev
x11-apps/xhost
x11-apps/xvidtune
x11-base/xorg-drivers
x11-base/xorg-server
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev
x11-misc/read-edid
c2stable ~ #

Doug Hunley 07-06-2012 02:13 PM

Everything disappeared from world list

> AFAIK, Gentoo does not have a script or an option to back up the
> world file and other associated files.

This is why I keep an empty world file and use /etc/portage/sets/
exclusively. I'm backing up /etc/portage anyway (package.use and
friends), so it just makes sense to have 'world' in there ;)
--
Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley@gmail.com)
Twitter: @hunleyd Web:

Nilesh Govindrajan 07-06-2012 04:53 PM

On 07/06/2012 09:00 AM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 08:41 +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I yesterday got a ssd to replace my kaput hdd which had no data but
>> os.
>> Apparently something went wrong while migration, and now everything
>> disappeared in portage's world list.
>>
>> So whenever I run depclean it tries to remove all packages. How to fix
>> this?
>>
>> I don't have data on original hdd now, zeroed it.
>>

> troll ~ # regenworld --help
> This script regenerates the portage world file by checking the portage
> logfile for all actions that you've done in the past. It ignores any
> arguments except --help. It is recommended that you make a backup of
> your existing world file (/var/lib/portage/world) before using this
> tool.
> troll ~ #

This fixed the problem. It generated some extra packages, but I fixed them.
@everyone, thanks for your replies. For some reason the this reply
wasn't sent earlier and got saved as draft.

--
Nilesh Govindrajan
http://nileshgr.com

Claudio Roberto França Pereira 07-11-2012 03:55 PM

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley@gmail.com> wrote:
>> AFAIK, Gentoo does not have a script or an option to back up the
>> world file and other associated files.
>
> This is why I keep an empty world file and use /etc/portage/sets/
> exclusively. I'm backing up /etc/portage anyway (package.use and
> friends), so it just makes sense to have 'world' in there ;)

How would you do that? I'm currently using ~amd64 and can't yet use
sets for some reason.

Alex Schuster 07-11-2012 04:17 PM

Claudio Roberto França Pereira writes:

> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > This is why I keep an empty world file and use /etc/portage/sets/
> > exclusively. I'm backing up /etc/portage anyway (package.use and
> > friends), so it just makes sense to have 'world' in there ;)
>
> How would you do that? I'm currently using ~amd64 and can't yet use
> sets for some reason.

Then you probably need portage 2.2 for this. Which will never ever become
stable it seems, but I'm using it just fine for three years now. You have
to put this into /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords:

<sys-apps/portage-9999 ~*

Or just enable a specific version, and put that in your local overlay, if
you don't trust the updates which happen every few days.

Is emerge @preserved-rebuild (with FEATURES=preserve-libs) also a 2.2
feature? I like this most, I no longer need to use revdep-rebuild. I
always considered having to use it a bug, fixing broken things after
breaking them, instead of preventing breakage.

Wonko