Old 07-05-2012, 04:20 PM
James

Default GRUB2 migration

Has anyone seen/tried this guide?

http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/docs/grub2-migration.xml

The devs seem to be moving along with migration to grub2.

as evidence in the gentoo-dev thread. I curious if folks
are going to follow the docs, or are we each going to
wing out way to grub2 with the legacy installs of gentoo?

curiously,
James

Old 07-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2012-07-05, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Has anyone seen/tried this guide?
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/docs/grub2-migration.xml
>
> The devs seem to be moving along with migration to grub2.
>
> as evidence in the gentoo-dev thread. I curious if folks are going to
> follow the docs, or are we each going to wing out way to grub2 with
> the legacy installs of gentoo?

I plan on dragging my feet for as long as possible, and won't switch
until I'm forced to. And by "forced to" I mean that grub-legacy
simply won't work anymore -- regardless of whether there's a Gentoo
package for it or not.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I want EARS! I want
at two ROUND BLACK EARS

Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Sebastian Pipping

Hello,

On 07/05/2012 08:28 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2012-07-05, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone seen/tried this guide?
>>
>> http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/docs/grub2-migration.xml
>>
>> The devs seem to be moving along with migration to grub2.
>>
>> as evidence in the gentoo-dev thread. I curious if folks are going to
>> follow the docs, or are we each going to wing out way to grub2 with
>> the legacy installs of gentoo?
>
> I plan on dragging my feet for as long as possible, and won't switch
> until I'm forced to. And by "forced to" I mean that grub-legacy
> simply won't work anymore -- regardless of whether there's a Gentoo
> package for it or not.

a few weeks ago I was one of those people about to stay away from GRUB 2
as long as possible. What I didn't know is that part of what I knew and
disliked about GRUB 2 was (only) specific to Debian, the fact that you
no longer edit /etc/grub/grub.cfg directly: you edit parts that are
combined for you.

Short version: if it's fear of the unknown with you too, I recommend
getting to know that beast a little better. You'll either end up with
many good arguments against it or find out that it's better than you
expected in the beginning. My guess is the latter. Anyway. Give it a try.

Best,

Sebastian

Old 07-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Dale

Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Hello,
>

> On 07/05/2012 08:28 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2012-07-05, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>>> Has anyone seen/tried this guide?
>>>
>>> http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/docs/grub2-migration.xml
>>>
>>> The devs seem to be moving along with migration to grub2.
>>>
>>> as evidence in the gentoo-dev thread. I curious if folks are going to
>>> follow the docs, or are we each going to wing out way to grub2 with
>>> the legacy installs of gentoo?
>> I plan on dragging my feet for as long as possible, and won't switch
>> until I'm forced to. And by "forced to" I mean that grub-legacy
>> simply won't work anymore -- regardless of whether there's a Gentoo
>> package for it or not.
> a few weeks ago I was one of those people about to stay away from GRUB 2
> as long as possible. What I didn't know is that part of what I knew and
> disliked about GRUB 2 was (only) specific to Debian, the fact that you
> no longer edit /etc/grub/grub.cfg directly: you edit parts that are
> combined for you.
>
> Short version: if it's fear of the unknown with you too, I recommend
> getting to know that beast a little better. You'll either end up with
> many good arguments against it or find out that it's better than you
> expected in the beginning. My guess is the latter. Anyway. Give it a try.
>
> Best,
>

> Sebastian

I been reading up on this beast too. The commands and such appear to be
specific to Gentoo OR at least different from Kubuntu. My money is on
Kubuntu being weird. On my bro's Kubuntu I run grub-update but on
Gentoo it is grub-mkconfig or something to that effect. I noticed that
with Gentoo there is a option on the tail end too. With Kubuntu there
is no options or at least none needed anyway.

I'm waiting on new/more docs myself. I want to know not only how to
upgrade but how to fix if it pukes on my keyboard. Hopefully other than
chroot'in in and all. I have a lot of partitions and they are on LVM
right now. That chroot'in is a pain in the butt. Oh, LOTS of stuff in
/usr too so it has to be mounted for you to fix grub. < sighs >

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Peter Humphrey

---->8
> > Short version: if it's fear of the unknown with you too, I
> > recommend getting to know that beast a little better. You'll
> > either end up with many good arguments against it or find out that
> > it's better than you expected in the beginning. My guess is the
> > latter. Anyway. Give it a try.

Good advice. I don't intend to go the GRUB2 way though until I have to,
simply because GRUB ain't broke so I don't need to fix it.

---->8
> I'm waiting on new/more docs myself. I want to know not only how to
> upgrade but how to fix if it pukes on my keyboard. Hopefully other
> than chroot'in in and all. I have a lot of partitions and they are
> on LVM right now. That chroot'in is a pain in the butt. Oh, LOTS
> of stuff in /usr too so it has to be mounted for you to fix grub.

I have what seems to be an unusual solution of that problem. Each of my
boxes has a small, bootable rescue system in its own partition, and of
course its own entry in grub.conf. Its fstab defines all the main-system
partitions so I only have to mount them. Chrooting is as painless as it
can be.

Recently, since I've banished ~amd64 except in a few cases, I've only
used any of the rescue systems for backing up its main system to a USB
drive.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Dale

Peter Humphrey wrote:

>> I'm waiting on new/more docs myself. I want to know not only how to
>> upgrade but how to fix if it pukes on my keyboard. Hopefully other
>> than chroot'in in and all. I have a lot of partitions and they are
>> on LVM right now. That chroot'in is a pain in the butt. Oh, LOTS
>> of stuff in /usr too so it has to be mounted for you to fix grub.
> I have what seems to be an unusual solution of that problem. Each of my
> boxes has a small, bootable rescue system in its own partition, and of
> course its own entry in grub.conf. Its fstab defines all the main-system
> partitions so I only have to mount them. Chrooting is as painless as it
> can be.
>
> Recently, since I've banished ~amd64 except in a few cases, I've only
> used any of the rescue systems for backing up its main system to a USB
> drive.

But if you try to boot and the grub menu doesn't come up at all, then
what? You can't select to boot anything including the rescue system.

I want to be able to fix whatever happens. Grub has been good to me so
far but I have had a time when after the BIOS was done, I got nothing,
nothing at all. That would be something I would want to know how to fix
since I can't even boot to get help or search google. If it isn't
between my ears, I'm toast. Right now, there is very little grub2
between my ears. Sometimes there is very little at all between my
ears. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Alecks Gates

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter Humphrey wrote:
>>
>>> I'm waiting on new/more docs myself. I want to know not only how to
>>> upgrade but how to fix if it pukes on my keyboard. Hopefully other
>>> than chroot'in in and all. I have a lot of partitions and they are
>>> on LVM right now. That chroot'in is a pain in the butt. Oh, LOTS
>>> of stuff in /usr too so it has to be mounted for you to fix grub.
>> I have what seems to be an unusual solution of that problem. Each of my
>> boxes has a small, bootable rescue system in its own partition, and of
>> course its own entry in grub.conf. Its fstab defines all the main-system
>> partitions so I only have to mount them. Chrooting is as painless as it
>> can be.
>>
>> Recently, since I've banished ~amd64 except in a few cases, I've only
>> used any of the rescue systems for backing up its main system to a USB
>> drive.
>>

> But if you try to boot and the grub menu doesn't come up at all, then
> what? You can't select to boot anything including the rescue system.
>
> I want to be able to fix whatever happens. Grub has been good to me so
> far but I have had a time when after the BIOS was done, I got nothing,
> nothing at all. That would be something I would want to know how to fix
> since I can't even boot to get help or search google. If it isn't
> between my ears, I'm toast. Right now, there is very little grub2
> between my ears. Sometimes there is very little at all between my
> ears. lol
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)
>
> --
> I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!

I like to keep a copy of "Super Grub[2] Disk" around:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Never heard of "rescatux" until now, but that looks interesting.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:37 AM
walt

On 07/05/2012 04:20 PM, Dale wrote:

> I'm waiting on new/more docs myself. I want to know not only how to
> upgrade but how to fix if it pukes on my keyboard. Hopefully other than
> chroot'in in and all.

There are basically only two ways that grub2 or grub1 can fail:

First, you reboot and you don't even see a grub prompt because
the grub part of your boot sector is broken in some way. I think
the only practical way is to reinstall grub to the boot sector
of your boot disk, which probably involves booting from another
medium like a rescue CD, etc.

Second, you reboot and see a valid grub shell prompt but your
list of boot selections is missing for some reason.

In that case I've been able to bail out very simply by typing
various grub shell commands until I re-discover the right disk
in case the BIOS disk numbering has changed for some reason.

You do have to know the grub shell commands pretty well to get
away with that, though. The way to learn them is to hit 'c'
at the grub menu to drop into the grub shell mode and keep
hitting 'tab' to see a list of available commands wherever
you happen to be at the time. Just like legacy grub.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Dale

walt wrote:
> On 07/05/2012 04:20 PM, Dale wrote:
>
>> I'm waiting on new/more docs myself. I want to know not only how to
>> upgrade but how to fix if it pukes on my keyboard. Hopefully other than
>> chroot'in in and all.
> There are basically only two ways that grub2 or grub1 can fail:
>
> First, you reboot and you don't even see a grub prompt because
> the grub part of your boot sector is broken in some way. I think
> the only practical way is to reinstall grub to the boot sector
> of your boot disk, which probably involves booting from another
> medium like a rescue CD, etc.
>
> Second, you reboot and see a valid grub shell prompt but your
> list of boot selections is missing for some reason.
>
> In that case I've been able to bail out very simply by typing
> various grub shell commands until I re-discover the right disk
> in case the BIOS disk numbering has changed for some reason.
>
> You do have to know the grub shell commands pretty well to get
> away with that, though. The way to learn them is to hit 'c'
> at the grub menu to drop into the grub shell mode and keep
> hitting 'tab' to see a list of available commands wherever
> you happen to be at the time. Just like legacy grub.

The way it broke for me was when I updated grub but didn't update the
MBR. I found that out after I rebooted. It was in one of those ewarn
messages thingys. It's nice to see those after the fact tho. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Friday 06 July 2012 01:18:42 Dale wrote:

> But if you try to boot and the grub menu doesn't come up at all, then
> what? You can't select to boot anything including the rescue system.

Yet to happen, but if it did I'd have to boot a rescue CD, mount the
rescue system and chroot to it, rerun grub and reboot. Doesn't sound
like much of a problem to me.

> I want to be able to fix whatever happens. Grub has been good to me
> so far but I have had a time when after the BIOS was done, I got
> nothing, nothing at all. That would be something I would want to
> know how to fix since I can't even boot to get help or search
> google. If it isn't between my ears, I'm toast. Right now, there
> is very little grub2 between my ears. Sometimes there is very
> little at all between my ears. lol

Not sure what we're arguing about here. My method suits me, yours you.
:-)

--
Rgds
Peter