Old 07-04-2012, 04:34 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Default Wrong font displayed in opera

Strange issue on my thinkpad:

When I run the opera browser the menu font is displayed as Comic Sans
(no, I am not working at CERN ;-) ) even when it is SET as Droid Sans
Mono in the settings.

I double-checked the operaprefs.ini, I even rsynced over my .opera from
another machine where the same opera-release does not behave this way.

Re-emerging the droid-fonts didn't fix it.

What could be the reason? revdep-rebuild checked, yes.

~amd64, btw

Should I compare the font-files ... ?

Thanks, Stefan, scratching head ...

Old 07-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:

> Strange issue on my thinkpad:
>
> When I run the opera browser the menu font is displayed as Comic Sans
> (no, I am not working at CERN ;-) ) even when it is SET as Droid Sans
> Mono in the settings.
>
> I double-checked the operaprefs.ini, I even rsynced over my .opera from
> another machine where the same opera-release does not behave this way.
>
> Re-emerging the droid-fonts didn't fix it.
>
> What could be the reason? revdep-rebuild checked, yes.
>
> ~amd64, btw
>
> Should I compare the font-files ... ?
>
> Thanks, Stefan, scratching head ...

Apparently Opera 12 contains a new Font Engine and there are many
reports of people having font issues. Basic answers are try to disable
hardware acceleration in Opera (it is disabled by default), use a
different font/remove the misbehaving font from your system, or
downgrade to Opera 11 until they improve the new version.

None of that really explains why you have one system that works and
one that doesn't, of course. I suggest you file a support request/bug
report with Opera, since they are the only ones who can fix their
program.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:26 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 2012-07-04 19:04, schrieb Paul Hartman:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
>>
>> Strange issue on my thinkpad:
>>
>> When I run the opera browser the menu font is displayed as Comic Sans
>> (no, I am not working at CERN ;-) ) even when it is SET as Droid Sans
>> Mono in the settings.
>>
>> I double-checked the operaprefs.ini, I even rsynced over my .opera from
>> another machine where the same opera-release does not behave this way.
>>
>> Re-emerging the droid-fonts didn't fix it.
>>
>> What could be the reason? revdep-rebuild checked, yes.
>>
>> ~amd64, btw
>>
>> Should I compare the font-files ... ?
>>
>> Thanks, Stefan, scratching head ...
>
> Apparently Opera 12 contains a new Font Engine and there are many
> reports of people having font issues. Basic answers are try to disable
> hardware acceleration in Opera (it is disabled by default), use a
> different font/remove the misbehaving font from your system, or
> downgrade to Opera 11 until they improve the new version.
>
> None of that really explains why you have one system that works and
> one that doesn't, of course. I suggest you file a support request/bug
> report with Opera, since they are the only ones who can fix their
> program.

Thanks a lot, Paul, for this information.

I will consider filing a bug there, or at least browse their bugzilla
(or equivalent) ...

hw-accel should be off, I never enabled it afaik.

Checked both settings, hw-accel and webgl, both were ON! Disabled,
restarted opera, same ugly font ...

We will see how things work out ...

thanks once more, Stefan