Old 04-11-2008, 05:41 AM
Stroller

Default HIJACKING THREADS

On 10 Apr 2008, at 16:29, Mario Ignacio Rodríguez Cortés wrote:

I have a problem at the moment that i try to execute a command as a
sudo

user, quikly, I have two machines, the first is my LDAP server and the
second is my client on LDAP ...

Please don't hijack threads like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_hijacking
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.gentoo.user/msg/
8a540add45e7e9b8?

"It is irritating for people using thread-aware e-mail clients...
In case you didn't know, it happens when you use "reply" for sending
a new question instead of composing a "new" message."

Stroller.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Stroller

Was thinking of buying the Western Digital' My Book® Home Edition™,
specially because of the eSATA connection...
I heard they have an internal USB-hub for making the capacity gauge
working.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Hal Martin

Stroller wrote:

Was thinking of buying the Western Digital' My Book® Home Edition™,
specially because of the eSATA connection...
I heard they have an internal USB-hub for making the capacity gauge
working.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see why the above example mentioned qualifies
as Thread Hijacking. He started a new thread to pose his question, and,
if anything, was only being indirect in asking it.

Please don't hijack threads like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_hijacking
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.gentoo.user/msg/8a540add45e7e9b8?

"It is irritating for people using thread-aware e-mail clients...
In case you didn't know, it happens when you use "reply" for sending
a new question instead of composing a "new" message."
He *did* compose a new message, there is no Re: in the header and no
other content in the message.

-Hal

Old 06-11-2008, 05:42 PM

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 05:54:35PM +0100, Stroller wrote:

> Please don't hijack threads like this.

Even if that were an example of thread hijacking, are you perfect?
Have you never made a mistake?

If someone does it over and over, then complain. Otherwise buy
yourself a glass house.

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Old 06-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Hal Martin wrote:

[snip]

> I'm sorry, but I fail to see why the above example mentioned
> qualifies as Thread Hijacking. He started a new thread to pose his
> question, and, if anything, was only being indirect in asking it.

No, he did not start a new thread. Other wise why does his mail have
this header;

[snip]

> He *did* compose a new message, there is no Re: in the header and no
> other content in the message.

That's not how you determine if a thread has been hijacked. The Re: is
simply a subject line and can be edited. Deleting all content from a
headers to do it, specifically In-Reply-To and References

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 06-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Thomas Pedersen

Two points:

1) Yeah you're right about not living in a glass house, and make a big
deal out of nothing

2) Thanks for letting us know about the differences about clicking reply
and compose new ... I'm actually sure not all of us was aware about this
difference

Just a comment...

Thomas

Old 06-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Justin

Thomas Pedersen schrieb:

Two points:

1) Yeah you're right about not living in a glass house, and make a big
deal out of nothing

2) Thanks for letting us know about the differences about clicking
reply and compose new ... I'm actually sure not all of us was aware
about this difference

Just a comment...

Thomas

Yeah thats the right point of view!!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Hal Martin

Alan McKinnon wrote:

I'm sorry, but I fail to see why the above example mentioned
qualifies as Thread Hijacking. He started a new thread to pose his
question, and, if anything, was only being indirect in asking it.

No, he did not start a new thread. Other wise why does his mail have
this header;

[snip]

Quite right, my mistake for looking into it further.

He *did* compose a new message, there is no Re: in the header and no
other content in the message.

That's not how you determine if a thread has been hijacked. The Re: is
simply a subject line and can be edited. Deleting all content from a
headers to do it, specifically In-Reply-To and References

Using Thunderbird it appeared to be a new thread, the same applies to
the GMail web interface. However, on closer inspection of the message
header, it does appear to be a case of thread hijacking. My mistake, and
I would retract my previous comments regarding the matter. I instead
wish to resubmit my response on thread hijacking:

Thread Hijacking is bad, don't do it.

-Hal

Old 06-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-06-11, felix@crowfix.com <felix@crowfix.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 05:54:35PM +0100, Stroller wrote:
>
>> Please don't hijack threads like this.
>
> Even if that were an example of thread hijacking, are you perfect?
> Have you never made a mistake?

A mistake is a mistake, and wrong is wrong, regardless of the
how "perfect" the person pointing it out. OTOH, everybody
should probably get a pass on the occasional mis-step.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! The PILLSBURY DOUGHBOY
at is CRYING for an END to