Old 07-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Jarry

Default error compiling kernel: watchdog missing?

Hi, I'm trying to compile new kernel, but it failed:
CC arch/x86/kernel/process_64.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/signal.o
AS arch/x86/kernel/entry_64.o
CC arch/x86/kernel/traps.o
arch/x86/kernel/traps.c: In function ‚default_do_nmi‚:
arch/x86/kernel/traps.c:509:3: error: implicit declaration of function
‚nmi_watchdog_tick‚
arch/x86/kernel/traps.c:512:3: error: implicit declaration of function
‚do_nmi_callback‚

make[2]: *** [arch/x86/kernel/traps.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [arch/x86/kernel] Error 2
make: *** [arch/x86] Error 2

If I understand correctly, function "default_do_nmi" in traps.c
triggered check for nmi_watchdog_tick and do_nmi_callback which
are probably missing.

Q1: how can I find which "make menuconfig" option activated
"default_do_nmi"?

Q2: If I can not disable default_do_nmi, what else do I have to
check/activate in kernel config to fix this error?

Jarry

Old 07-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to compile new kernel, but it failed:
> CC arch/x86/kernel/process_64.o
> CC arch/x86/kernel/signal.o
> AS arch/x86/kernel/entry_64.o
> CC arch/x86/kernel/traps.o
> arch/x86/kernel/traps.c: In function ‚default_do_nmi‚:
> arch/x86/kernel/traps.c:509:3: error: implicit declaration of function
> ‚nmi_watchdog_tick‚
> arch/x86/kernel/traps.c:512:3: error: implicit declaration of function
> ‚do_nmi_callback‚
> make[2]: *** [arch/x86/kernel/traps.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [arch/x86/kernel] Error 2
> make: *** [arch/x86] Error 2
>
> If I understand correctly, function "default_do_nmi" in traps.c
> triggered check for nmi_watchdog_tick and do_nmi_callback which
> are probably missing.
>
> Q1: how can I find which "make menuconfig" option activated
> "default_do_nmi"?
>
> Q2: If I can not disable default_do_nmi, what else do I have to
> check/activate in kernel config to fix this error?

I would backup your .config then run "make oldconfig", this should do
some dependency checks on your configuration choices. Afterward you
can diff the two files and see if anything has changed. Otherwise I
would try "make clean" and start the build over in case it somehow
became confused.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Jarry

arch/x86/kernel/traps.c: In function ‚default_do_nmi‚:
arch/x86/kernel/traps.c:509:3: error: implicit declaration of function
‚nmi_watchdog_tick‚
arch/x86/kernel/traps.c:512:3: error: implicit declaration of function
‚do_nmi_callback‚
make[2]: *** [arch/x86/kernel/traps.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [arch/x86/kernel] Error 2
make: *** [arch/x86] Error 2

I would backup your .config then run "make oldconfig", this should do
some dependency checks on your configuration choices. Afterward you
can diff the two files and see if anything has changed. Otherwise I

I tried it, but nothing changed (except for date/time of config file).

would try "make clean" and start the build over in case it somehow
became confused.

Still the same. I checked corresponding part of traps.c:
#ifndef CONFIG_LOCKUP_DETECTOR
/*
* Ok, so this is none of the documented NMI sources,
* so it must be the NMI watchdog.
*/
if (nmi_watchdog_tick(regs, reason) +
do_nmi_show_regs(regs, cpu))
return;
if (!do_nmi_callback(regs, cpu))
#endif /* !CONFIG_LOCKUP_DETECTOR */

Does this mean that if CONFIG_LOCKUP_DETECTOR is *not* set,
then this part of code is active? Then I'd better activate it.
The only problem is I can not find this option in config...

Jarry

Old 07-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Frank Peters

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 19:13:09 +0200