Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 PM

Default pvcreate won't create pv

Got my two 4TB drives installed. Now I need to get stuff off /dev/hda
so I can turn it into an LVM volumne. So I copied everything there to
the the 7.3TB LVM filesystem, then tried to create a new pv on
/dev/hda1. No joy. I get

Device /dev/hda1 not found (or ignored by filtering).

/dev/hda has only /dev/hda1 which takes all the space. The partition
type is 8e, Linux LVM. It's not mounted. I tried pvcreate -f. I
tried dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 count=1. What is pvcreate really
complaining about?

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Old 06-29-2012, 09:56 PM

felix@crowfix.com wrote:

> Got my two 4TB drives installed. Now I need to get stuff off /dev/hda
> so I can turn it into an LVM volumne. So I copied everything there to
> the the 7.3TB LVM filesystem, then tried to create a new pv on
> /dev/hda1. No joy. I get
>
> Device /dev/hda1 not found (or ignored by filtering).
>
> /dev/hda has only /dev/hda1 which takes all the space. The partition
> type is 8e, Linux LVM. It's not mounted. I tried pvcreate -f. I
> tried dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 count=1. What is pvcreate really
> complaining about?
How come its hda? Perhaps this is the problem, it certainly should be
fixed anyway.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 PM

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 05:56:58PM -0400, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:

> felix@crowfix.com wrote:
>
> > Got my two 4TB drives installed. Now I need to get stuff off /dev/hda
> > so I can turn it into an LVM volumne. So I copied everything there to
> > the the 7.3TB LVM filesystem, then tried to create a new pv on
> > /dev/hda1. No joy. I get
> >
> > Device /dev/hda1 not found (or ignored by filtering).
> >
> > /dev/hda has only /dev/hda1 which takes all the space. The partition
> > type is 8e, Linux LVM. It's not mounted. I tried pvcreate -f. I
> > tried dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 count=1. What is pvcreate really
> > complaining about?
> How come its hda? Perhaps this is the problem, it certainly should be
> fixed anyway.

Because it was set up that way 8 years ago. /dev/hda is the only IDE
drive in the system, and has the MBR, so I can't make /dev/hda an LVM
volume, it has to be /dev/hda1. I don't want to make some other drive
the boot drive; they are LVM volumes also. And I also want an hd(0,x)
for grub which doesn't change as I add new drives.

Besides all that, why do you think it's a problem and how do you
propose fixing it?

Old 06-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Paul Colquhoun

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:26:51 felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> Got my two 4TB drives installed. Now I need to get stuff off /dev/hda
> so I can turn it into an LVM volumne. So I copied everything there to
> the the 7.3TB LVM filesystem, then tried to create a new pv on
> /dev/hda1. No joy. I get
>
> Device /dev/hda1 not found (or ignored by filtering).
>
> /dev/hda has only /dev/hda1 which takes all the space. The partition
> type is 8e, Linux LVM. It's not mounted. I tried pvcreate -f. I
> tried dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 count=1. What is pvcreate really
> complaining about?

What active 'filter = ' lines do you currently have in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf?

Does it have something like 'r|/dev/hd.*' in it to hide all the IDE devices
from LVM?

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:

Old 06-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Michael Mol

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM, <felix@crowfix.com> wrote:
> Got my two 4TB drives installed. *Now I need to get stuff off /dev/hda
> so I can turn it into an LVM volumne. *So I copied everything there to
> the the 7.3TB LVM filesystem, then tried to create a new pv on
> /dev/hda1. *No joy. *I get
>
> * *Device /dev/hda1 not found (or ignored by filtering).
>
> /dev/hda has only /dev/hda1 which takes all the space. *The partition
> type is 8e, Linux LVM. *It's not mounted. *I tried pvcreate -f. *I
> tried dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 count=1. *What is pvcreate really
> complaining about?

...I don't know, but I think you ought to burn in those drives before
you move all of your data onto them. One good way might be to create,
damage and rebuild a raid5 volume on them. They're at the high risk
period of their lifetime, and you don't want them to fail once you've
got data on them.

--
:wq

Old 06-30-2012, 12:55 AM

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:05:40AM +1000, Paul Colquhoun wrote:

> What active 'filter = ' lines do you currently have in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf?
>
> Does it have something like 'r|/dev/hd.*' in it to hide all the IDE devices
> from LVM?

Ah geez, yet more LVM lore I have long since forgotten from lack of
use. I didn't see it in 'man pvcreate' and had other things to do for
the time being. I guess LVM is not like a bicycle..

Yes it does. Thanks.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:58 AM

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 08:13:54PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:

> ...I don't know, but I think you ought to burn in those drives before
> you move all of your data onto them. One good way might be to create,
> damage and rebuild a raid5 volume on them. They're at the high risk
> period of their lifetime, and you don't want them to fail once you've
> got data on them.

I don't have much data at all for them yet. My plan is to gradually
fill them, and have two sets of USB backups in the fire safe. It may
take years to fill them, so the USB backups will start small and
gradually expand as necessary.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:02 AM

felix@crowfix.com wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 05:56:58PM -0400, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> >
> > felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> >
> > > Got my two 4TB drives installed. Now I need to get stuff off /dev/hda
> > > so I can turn it into an LVM volumne. So I copied everything there to
> > > the the 7.3TB LVM filesystem, then tried to create a new pv on
> > > /dev/hda1. No joy. I get
> > >
> > > Device /dev/hda1 not found (or ignored by filtering).
> > >
> > > /dev/hda has only /dev/hda1 which takes all the space. The partition
> > > type is 8e, Linux LVM. It's not mounted. I tried pvcreate -f. I
> > > tried dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 count=1. What is pvcreate really
> > > complaining about?
> > How come its hda? Perhaps this is the problem, it certainly should be
> > fixed anyway.
>
> Because it was set up that way 8 years ago. /dev/hda is the only IDE
> drive in the system, and has the MBR, so I can't make /dev/hda an LVM
> volume, it has to be /dev/hda1. I don't want to make some other drive
> the boot drive; they are LVM volumes also. And I also want an hd(0,x)
> for grub which doesn't change as I add new drives.
>
> Besides all that, why do you think it's a problem and how do you
> propose fixing it?
If they are serial ata drives, I thought newer kernels would use
/dev/sda etc. Is this really a ide drive? Or do you have the BIOS
pretend they are?

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 06-30-2012, 01:26 AM
walt

On 06/29/2012 03:05 PM, felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 05:56:58PM -0400, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
>>
>> felix@crowfix.com wrote:
>>
>>> Got my two 4TB drives installed. Now I need to get stuff off /dev/hda
>>> so I can turn it into an LVM volumne. So I copied everything there to
>>> the the 7.3TB LVM filesystem, then tried to create a new pv on
>>> /dev/hda1. No joy. I get
>>>
>>> Device /dev/hda1 not found (or ignored by filtering).
>>>
>>> /dev/hda has only /dev/hda1 which takes all the space. The partition
>>> type is 8e, Linux LVM. It's not mounted. I tried pvcreate -f. I
>>> tried dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 count=1. What is pvcreate really
>>> complaining about?
>> How come its hda? Perhaps this is the problem, it certainly should be
>> fixed anyway.
>
> Because it was set up that way 8 years ago. /dev/hda is the only IDE
> drive in the system, and has the MBR, so I can't make /dev/hda an LVM
> volume, it has to be /dev/hda1. I don't want to make some other drive
> the boot drive; they are LVM volumes also. And I also want an hd(0,x)
> for grub which doesn't change as I add new drives.
>
> Besides all that, why do you think it's a problem and how do you
> propose fixing it?

I can't speak for John, obviously, but /dev/hdxx is typical for the
deprecated kernel drivers. The newer drivers use /dev/sdxx

Old 06-30-2012, 01:57 AM

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 09:02:42PM -0400, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> If they are serial ata drives, I thought newer kernels would use
> /dev/sda etc. Is this really a ide drive? Or do you have the BIOS
> pretend they are?

Please gve me a little credit. I can screw up lots of things and
forget lots of things, but this drive is a replacement for a drive so
old that it is labeled IDE, not PATA, it has that awful big flat
ribbon, and there are two IDE connectors on the main board (which is
old enough to be called a mother board), and there were two IDE DVD
drives on there also, in fact hiding the IDE drive so that I had to
trace cables to find it.