-   -   grub2 in portage (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/678589-grub2-portage.html)

Allan Gottlieb 06-29-2012 06:46 PM

grub2 in portage

Now that grub is slotted (slot:2 is grub2; slot:0 is legacy grub),
an update world will merge grub-2.00 along side my current
grub-0.97-r12.

Am I correct in believing that, if I *do* the emerge but *not* do
anything else with grub, I will continue to use legacy grub (-0.97-r12)
whenever I boot?

I realize I can add
sys-boot/grub:2
to package.mask

thanks,
allan

Hinnerk van Bruinehsen 06-29-2012 06:56 PM

grub2 in portage

Todd Goodman 06-29-2012 07:01 PM

grub2 in portage

* Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> [120629 14:53]:
> Now that grub is slotted (slot:2 is grub2; slot:0 is legacy grub),
> an update world will merge grub-2.00 along side my current
> grub-0.97-r12.
>
> Am I correct in believing that, if I *do* the emerge but *not* do
> anything else with grub, I will continue to use legacy grub (-0.97-r12)
> whenever I boot?
>
> I realize I can add
> sys-boot/grub:2
> to package.mask
>
> thanks,
> allan

I believe that's the case. Until you run grub2-install you'll still run
your old grub 0.92-r12.

Make sure you do the step mentioned in the emerge output though and get
grub:0 in your world file or else the next emerge --depclean will remove
your grub-0.97-r12.

Todd

Allan Gottlieb 06-29-2012 07:04 PM

grub2 in portage

On Fri, Jun 29 2012, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:

> On 29.06.2012 20:46, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> Now that grub is slotted (slot:2 is grub2; slot:0 is legacy grub),
>> an update world will merge grub-2.00 along side my current
>> grub-0.97-r12.
>>
>> Am I correct in believing that, if I *do* the emerge but *not* do
>> anything else with grub, I will continue to use legacy grub
>> (-0.97-r12) whenever I boot?
>>
>> I realize I can add sys-boot/grub:2 to package.mask
>>
>> thanks, allan
>>

> Yes - to both
>
> - you can mask the slot for grub2
> - you can install grub2 (that is the binaries) and continue to use
> grub legacy (until you issue grub2-install <device>).

Great. As I thought.
thanks,
allan

Allan Gottlieb 06-29-2012 08:47 PM

grub2 in portage

On Fri, Jun 29 2012, Todd Goodman wrote:

> * Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> [120629 14:53]:
>> Now that grub is slotted (slot:2 is grub2; slot:0 is legacy grub),
>> an update world will merge grub-2.00 along side my current
>> grub-0.97-r12.
>>
>> Am I correct in believing that, if I *do* the emerge but *not* do
>> anything else with grub, I will continue to use legacy grub (-0.97-r12)
>> whenever I boot?
>>
>> I realize I can add
>> sys-boot/grub:2
>> to package.mask
>>
>> thanks,
>> allan
>
> I believe that's the case. Until you run grub2-install you'll still run
> your old grub 0.92-r12.
>
> Make sure you do the step mentioned in the emerge output though and get
> grub:0 in your world file or else the next emerge --depclean will remove
> your grub-0.97-r12.

Thanks for the heads-up.
allan