Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Frank Peters

Default Make Gentoo Live USB Stick

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 14:15:56 -0700
Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml
>
> Don't know if it works but like all things Gentoo I suspect it does...

That's the first thing that I tried, but it does not seem to involve
the Gentoo Live DVD.

For example, after following the procedure one comes to the point:

"Download the Gentoo Weekly Minimal Install CD for your architecture
from your local Gentoo Linux mirror ..."

Huh? What happened to the Live DVD iso stuff? It's not mentioned.

I ended up using Unetbootin from an MS Windows machine to copy the Gentoo
Live DVD iso to a USB thumb drive. I'm just wondering if there is a CLI
procedure to copy same from Linux.

Frank Peters

Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 PM
David Abbott

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This question more than likely has been posted before, either to
> this or some other list. *If so, then please let me know and I'll
> start searching.
>
> I want to make a Gentoo Live bootable USB stick using the available
> Gentoo Live DVD iso. *Can this be done by simply copying the iso file
> to the USB drive with a utility like dd? *Or are there some special files
> that need to be copied to the boot sector?
>
> Unetbootin (unetbootin.sf.net) is a GUI program that claims to do this,
> but there must be a simpler CLI alternative.
>
> Frank Peters

Hi Frank,
dd works fine;

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/pr/releases/12.1/faq.xml#usb

HTH,
David

Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 14:15:56 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml
>>
>> Don't know if it works but like all things Gentoo I suspect it does...
>>

> That's the first thing that I tried, but it does not seem to involve
> the Gentoo Live DVD.
>
> For example, after following the procedure one comes to the point:
>
> "Download the Gentoo Weekly Minimal Install CD for your architecture
> from your local Gentoo Linux mirror ..."
>
> Huh? *What happened to the Live DVD iso stuff? *It's not mentioned.
>
> I ended up using Unetbootin from an MS Windows machine to copy the Gentoo
> Live DVD iso to a USB thumb drive. *I'm just wondering if there is a CLI
> procedure to copy same from Linux.
>
> Frank Peters

I guess I'm misunderstanding a fine point here in terms of what you
want to do. Immediately following those words the process does:

(Create the /mnt/cdrom mount point if needed)
# mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom
# mount -o loop,ro -t iso9660 /path/to/iso.iso /mnt/cdrom

So it seems to mount the ISO image. Is there anything other than a
"Gentoo Weekly Minimal Install CD" anymore? Would it matter if it was
a minimal ISO or something more complicated? I don't know.

In my case I was looking into building a new machine that wouldn't
have a CD, so I was wondering about using a USB drive vs maybe an
external USB CDROM drive. If you are doing something where you require
lots and lots of prebuilt programs on the USB drive then this ISO
wouldn't be appropriate.

Good luck,
Mark

Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 17:06:49 -0400, Frank Peters wrote:

> I want to make a Gentoo Live bootable USB stick using the available
> Gentoo Live DVD iso. Can this be done by simply copying the iso file
> to the USB drive with a utility like dd?

The latest Gentoo ISOs are hybrid files, able to boot from optical discs
and USB sticks, so just dd it to the stick.

--
Neil Bothwick

COSSYSTEMBATCHUTILSAPIDOCSREADSTOREDWHERETHEHELL AMI?