Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Frank Peters

Default Make Gentoo Live USB Stick

Hello,

This question more than likely has been posted before, either to
this or some other list. If so, then please let me know and I'll
start searching.

I want to make a Gentoo Live bootable USB stick using the available
Gentoo Live DVD iso. Can this be done by simply copying the iso file
to the USB drive with a utility like dd? Or are there some special files
that need to be copied to the boot sector?

Unetbootin (unetbootin.sf.net) is a GUI program that claims to do this,
but there must be a simpler CLI alternative.

Frank Peters

Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This question more than likely has been posted before, either to
> this or some other list. *If so, then please let me know and I'll
> start searching.
>
> I want to make a Gentoo Live bootable USB stick using the available
> Gentoo Live DVD iso. *Can this be done by simply copying the iso file
> to the USB drive with a utility like dd? *Or are there some special files
> that need to be copied to the boot sector?
>
> Unetbootin (unetbootin.sf.net) is a GUI program that claims to do this,
> but there must be a simpler CLI alternative.
>
> Frank Peters

Hi Frank,
This is almost too easy to answer as I was wondering the same thing
just a couple of days ago.

<hehe> In Google try

Gentoo USB live CD

which yields:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml

Don't know if it works but like all things Gentoo I suspect it does...

HTH, ;-)
Mark