Old 06-27-2012, 01:48 AM
"Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)"

Default USE="jpeg" not part of hardened/linux/x86 profile

Hello,

First sorry for taking this long to answer this, somehow this mail
slipped through my radar and couldn't find it when somebody moved it to
the gentoo-hardened list, add to that an... interesting live and we are set.

And now let's get answers:

First the Gentoo Hardened team DOES support the use of Gentoo Hardened
on desktop and this has been so for a long time, there are many reasons
for this amongst others the fact that currently desktops tend to be more
vulnerable to attacks than servers. As a matter of fact I do tend to
state that my laptop is running Gentoo Hardened whenever I have to give
a talk on it and I can tell you I'm not the only user here, amongst
other examples I recall an interesting remotely managed kiosk project by
another user.

Regarding the profiles the main reason why they don't exist is the non
existence of a desktop feature that makes it easier for us to have it
(as it happens for example with the selinux or multilib features). This
said we tend to be very open to people wanting to join the community so
if you want to create them feel free to come to the meeting we are
holding on 2012-06-27 20:00 at #GentooHardened and say so when we touch
the profiles topic, be warned though that profiles tend to be very
complex and fragile so are a thing not to be taken easily.

Regarding skype, in theory you can use it but you need to paxmark it
with legacy USE flags and well it is quite awkward, another option is
using the new xattr based marks but I think this is still in
development. You will also need to disable TPE.

Regarding things like totem check also dmesg, at times you need to
disable TPE to get orc code to work properly. Anyway I have no problems
like that with kaffeine.

Finally regarding Gwibber and Hotot make sure you don't have the jit USE
flag set, jit code and hardened match just as well as a bobcat and a
pitbull in a small closed box with a lit firecracker to startle them.
Worst case try choqok it works well for me.

That covers all on this thread, I hope this e-mail is useful and as
always feel free to come back with any questions you have.
klondike