Old 04-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Uwe Thiem

Default VQF deprecated?

On Thursday 10 April 2008, Mateusz A. Mierzwiński wrote:

Multiple parse errors. :-(

Didn't get at all what you were trying to say.

Please don't get me wrong. I know your mother tongue isn't English,
neither is mine. You have got one thing to keep in mind: If your
command of the language you are writing in isn't top notch you better
adhere to a couple of rules:

- Phrase things as simply as possible. Avoid complicated sentences.

- Don't be sarcastic. Sarcasm gets lost and so does the *content* of
your post.

- Don't try to be funny. It doesn't come across if you don't know how
to be funny in a foreign language.

- Be as straight forward as possible. Even if you sound rude (people
will give you credit for expressing yourself in a language you
haven't grown up with), that's far better than sounding gibberish.

Native speakers on this lists can try to be funny/ironic/sarcastic.
People like you and I better use simple English.

I am *not* saying you can't express yourself. You most probably can in
Polish.

Couldn't resist to rant a wee bit here. So for balacing it off: Peace,
love, sunshine, good beer and single malt!

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/

Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 10 April 2008, Mateusz A. Mierzwiński wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wan't to know, why software such as amarok don't go way, like
> winamp - more formats available for playing because of plugins?

Dunno. You should ask the amarok developers why they chose the
architecture they did. Or you could try gstreamer?

> SO
> libraries are also dynamic linked, so why I don't have any player for
> VQF format?

Maybe no-one has written one. It won't be written until someone care
enough to write it.

> I must emulate Winamp with wine to play VQF of course
> with better sound quality with DSP plugins like 3D Spatial Sound. My
> god! This is Linux - best operating system on the world, why software
> producers are so closed to world? Wining with Windows is endless
> future. XMMS was playing VQF but XMMS was removed from portage
> because some bugs (what software don't have one).

XMMS was removed from portage because it was a huge monolithic piece of
crap. Upstream ABANDONED the project years before, no-one had touched
the ebuild for ages and no-one was prepared to maintain it. And, just
to top everything off, it wouldn't build.

> I know that OGG is
> better, or even MP3 (MPEG-1 Layer 3) but VQF in 80kbps is still
> lossless compresion - MP3 and OGG not, and I like to listen good
> quality music with all tones, even not heared. PS: human ear
> toleration is little part different for different people - MP3 and
> OGG is not good compression for audiophiles.

Mateusz, this is the wrong place to vent your frustrations and have a
rant. The people here will help you take something that exists and get
it running. They are not the devs, and no-one here has influence with
the devs.

I suggest you code the necessary plugins yourself. That's how this best
operating system in the world got to be the best - someone like you
needed it to do something and wrote the code to do it.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com