Old 04-10-2008, 06:44 PM
"Jason Messerschmitt"

Default Postfix Question

I guess I'll dip my toes in here and admit that I can't figure this out.

Synopsis:* I've setup Postfix to be a mail out only smtp server. I just want it for our Joomla based web pages and our helpdesk to be able to mail to users from the local server. The problem is this: I can mail to any domain (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc) without problem, but I can't receive mail directly through our A-plus based mail (the worst!). What happens is that A-plus' server rejects the user as unkown even though I know it is correct. What really gets my goat is that after that message is returned to my server it is then delivered to the A-plus server and thusly shows up in my webmail and email client. Below are my configs.

Postfix:

#soft_bounce = no
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/lib64/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
#default_privs = nobody
myhostname = abulafia.ipr.edu

#myhostname = virtual.domain.tld
mydomain = ipr.edu
myorigin = $myhostname
#myorigin = $mydomain
inet_interfaces = all
#proxy_interfaces =
#proxy_interfaces = 1.2.3.4

#local_recipient_maps = unixasswd.byname $alias_maps
#local_recipient_maps = proxy:unixasswd.byname $alias_maps
#local_recipient_maps =
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450

mynetworks_style = host
mynetworks = 168.100.189.0/28, 127.0.0.0/8
#relay_domains = $mydestination
#relayhost = mail.ipr.edu

#relayhost = smtp.comcast.net
#relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients
#in_flow_delay = 1s
#alias_maps = dbm:/etc/aliases
#alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

#alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, nis:mail.aliases
#alias_maps = netinfo:/aliases
#alias_database = dbm:/etc/aliases
#alias_database = dbm:/etc/mail/aliases
#alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
#alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/opt/majordomo/aliases

#home_mailbox = Mailbox
#home_mailbox = Maildir/
#mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
#mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail
#mailbox_command = /some/where/procmail
#mailbox_command = /some/where/procmail -a "$EXTENSION"

#mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/file/name
#mailbox_transport = cyrus
#fallback_transport = lmtp:unix:/file/name
#fallback_transport = cyrus
#fallback_transport =
#luser_relay = $user@other.host
#luser_relay = $local@other.host

#luser_relay = admin+$local
#header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks
#fast_flush_domains = $relay_domains
#smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
#smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name ($mail_version)

#local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
#default_destination_concurrency_limit = 20
debug_peer_level = 2
#debug_peer_list = 127.0.0.1
#debug_peer_list = some.domain
debugger_command =

*** *PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
*** *xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5

sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq

setgid_group = postdrop
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.4.5/html
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
sample_directory = /etc/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.4.5/readme
home_mailbox = .maildir/

Old 04-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Stroller

It's kinda difficult to help with this, without knowing what the A-Plus server is seeing.An unsanitised*copy of the bounce message would probably show the problem.Does it*definitely*show the correct email address of a user for which*A-Plus has a mailbox?Can you reproduce the problem telnetting to the A-Plus MX server on port 25?http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtp.html*http://www.simplescripts.de/smtp-check-port-25-telnet-command.htmStroller
On 10 Apr 2008, at 19:44, Jason Messerschmitt wrote:I guess I'll dip my toes in here and admit that I can't figure this out.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 PM
"Jason Messerschmitt"

Thanks for your response. Here is the output of my telnet test. I guess I'm really not sure what to make of it. The bolded text is of some concern to me.pc130:~ admin$ telnet mail.ipr.edu 25
Trying 66.226.64.2...Connected to mail.ipr.edu.Escape character is '^]'.220 pro.abac.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.1/8.14.1; Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:27:30 -0700 (PDT)
helo abulafia.ipr.edu250 pro.abac.com Hello 75-146-145-253-stlouispark.mn.minn.hfc.comcastbusiness.net [75.146.145.253] (may be forged), pleased to meet you
mail from:root@abulafia.ipr.edu250 2.1.0 root@abulafia.ipr.edu... Sender okrcpt to:jason@ipr.edu
550 5.1.1 jason@ipr.edu... User unknownThanks again. I'm not necessarily looking for someone to give me the answer, as it were, but if I could get some help looking in the right direction I would be very appreciative.*
Best to you,Jason