Old 04-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Michael Sullivan

Default OT - Migrating servers to a new box

This morning my server box died (power supply problem
I think). I've pulled the hard drive and am trying to
set up a similar environment on one of my other boxes.
I've copied over two user home directories, as well
as exim.conf and dovecot.conf to their proper places,
and restarted the servers. I think we're getting new
mail in, but I'm not sure where it's going. Attached
is the results of grep 'Apr 10' /var/log/mail.log .
AFAIK, nothing is being rejected. While we're on the
subject, what files do I need to move/replace in order
to make sure that all my users can log onto their
accounts on this alternate box; is it just /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow, or is there more?

Old 04-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Michael Sullivan

--- Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This morning my server box died (power supply
> problem
> I think). I've pulled the hard drive and am trying
> set up a similar environment on one of my other
> boxes.
> I've copied over two user home directories, as well
> as exim.conf and dovecot.conf to their proper
> places,
> and restarted the servers. I think we're getting
> new
> mail in, but I'm not sure where it's going.
> Attached
> is the results of grep 'Apr 10' /var/log/mail.log .
> AFAIK, nothing is being rejected. While we're on
> the
> subject, what files do I need to move/replace in
> order
> to make sure that all my users can log onto their
> accounts on this alternate box; is it just
> /etc/passwd
> and /etc/shadow, or is there more?

I forgot to add in my previous post that I'm using

camille ~ # emerge -pv exim

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] mail-mta/exim-4.69 USE="X exiscan-acl
ldap mysql pam perl sasl ssl syslog tcpd -dnsdb
-domainkeys -dovecot-sasl -exiscan -gnutls -ipv6 -lmtp
-mailwrapper -mbox -mbx -nis -postgres -radius -spf
-sqlite -srs" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0
kB

and my exim.conf file (attached)

And on closer inspection of the mail.log I saw that
all the messages are being temporarily rejected after
DATA. Now if only I knew what that meant...

Old 04-10-2008, 06:57 PM
luis jure

just out of curiosity, doesn't this list have a limit on the size of
the messages that can be posted?

Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Uwe Thiem

On Thursday 10 April 2008, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> This morning my server box died (power supply problem
> I think).

You didn't mean it, did you? Sending an email just short of 1MB to a
mailing list. Please tell me you made a silly mistake.

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/

Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Michael Sullivan

--- luis jure <ljc@internet.com.uy> wrote:

> just out of curiosity, doesn't this list have a
> limit on the size of
> the messages that can be posted?

I'm sorry. I'm panicking here. This mail server is
the only thing in my life I can do that almost
matters. I guess there's not a strict size limit or
it would be set in the Gentoo mail server...

Old 04-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Michael Sullivan

--- Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > This morning my server box died (power supply
> > problem
> > I think). I've pulled the hard drive and am
> trying
> > set up a similar environment on one of my other
> > boxes.
> > I've copied over two user home directories, as
> well
> > as exim.conf and dovecot.conf to their proper
> > places,
> > and restarted the servers. I think we're getting
> > new
> > mail in, but I'm not sure where it's going.
> > Attached
> > is the results of grep 'Apr 10' /var/log/mail.log
> .
> > AFAIK, nothing is being rejected. While we're on
> > the
> > subject, what files do I need to move/replace in
> > order
> > to make sure that all my users can log onto their
> > accounts on this alternate box; is it just
> > /etc/passwd
> > and /etc/shadow, or is there more?
> >

> I forgot to add in my previous post that I'm using
>
> camille ~ # emerge -pv exim
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in
> order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] mail-mta/exim-4.69 USE="X
> exiscan-acl
> ldap mysql pam perl sasl ssl syslog tcpd -dnsdb
> -domainkeys -dovecot-sasl -exiscan -gnutls -ipv6
> -lmtp
> -mailwrapper -mbox -mbx -nis -postgres -radius -spf
> -sqlite -srs" 0 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0
> kB
>
> and my exim.conf file (attached)
>
> And on closer inspection of the mail.log I saw that
> all the messages are being temporarily rejected
> after
> DATA. Now if only I knew what that meant...

camille ~ # exim -bt michael@espersunited.com
michael@baby.espersunited.com is undeliverable:
Unrouteable address
<-- michael@espersunited.com

Where would it be rewritten as
michael@baby.espersunited.com?

camille ~ # grep baby /etc/exim/*
camille ~ #

Would this be a DNS thing?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Michael Sullivan

--- Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > This morning my server box died (power supply
> > problem
> > I think). I've pulled the hard drive and am
> trying
> > set up a similar environment on one of my other
> > boxes.
> > I've copied over two user home directories, as
> well
> > as exim.conf and dovecot.conf to their proper
> > places,
> > and restarted the servers. I think we're getting
> > new
> > mail in, but I'm not sure where it's going.
> > Attached
> > is the results of grep 'Apr 10' /var/log/mail.log
> .
> > AFAIK, nothing is being rejected. While we're on
> > the
> > subject, what files do I need to move/replace in
> > order
> > to make sure that all my users can log onto their
> > accounts on this alternate box; is it just
> > /etc/passwd
> > and /etc/shadow, or is there more?
> >

> I forgot to add in my previous post that I'm using
>
> camille ~ # emerge -pv exim
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in
> order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] mail-mta/exim-4.69 USE="X
> exiscan-acl
> ldap mysql pam perl sasl ssl syslog tcpd -dnsdb
> -domainkeys -dovecot-sasl -exiscan -gnutls -ipv6
> -lmtp
> -mailwrapper -mbox -mbx -nis -postgres -radius -spf
> -sqlite -srs" 0 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0
> kB
>
> and my exim.conf file (attached)
>
> And on closer inspection of the mail.log I saw that
> all the messages are being temporarily rejected
> after
> DATA. Now if only I knew what that meant...

OK. I found out that michael@espersunited.com was
being rewritten to michael@baby.espersunited.com in
/etc/aliases (the first thing I would've thought of if
I'd been using sendmail). I've updated that file, and
now we're back to:

Apr 10 15:16:56 camille exim[26689]: [124] 2008-04-10
15:16:56 1Jk3CZ-0006wT-UD
H=web82708.mail.mud.yahoo.com [68.142.201.89]
F=<msulli1355@yahoo.com> temporarily rejected after
DATA

Any thoughts?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:30:49 -0700 (PDT), Michael Sullivan wrote:

> I guess there's not a strict size limit or
> it would be set in the Gentoo mail server...

That's right. It relies on the consideration of users to think before
sending 1MB mails

--
Neil Bothwick

If you think talk is cheap, try hiring a lawyer.