Old 06-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Neil Bothwick

Default Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 22:10:44 -0500, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> > I mostly gentoo, but ubuntu has this marvellous tool 'boot-repair'
> > based on grub2 in the yannbuntu repo. With one click it finds all the
> > bootable partitions on your box, writes and installs the grub.cfg.
> > Next time you boot viola! there's all your OSes ready to be started.
>
> It should be a front-end for grub2-mkconfig, which in Gentoo uses
> os-prober:

As does Ubuntu. But os-prober is used to find non-Linux installations.
There are other scripts to detect Linux and Xen installs. All of these
are configurable, which is one of the strengths of GRUB2, it is not a
Linux bootloader, it is more universal and adapts itself well to the wide
variety of systems it may be used on. This makes it a much better choice
for distros.

--
Neil Bothwick

In the begining, there was nothing.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Tanstaafl

Has the Handbook/Install docs been updated to provide for installing
Grub2 with a fresh install?

I'm about to do one, and would like to not have to switch this out later...

Old 06-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> On 2012-06-25 1:05 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> It appears that grub2 is coming soon.
>

> Has the Handbook/Install docs been updated to provide for installing Grub2
> with a fresh install?
>
> I'm about to do one, and would like to not have to switch this out later...

No, handbook only discusses grub (not grub2) and lilo.

Which is sad; I'd love to use stuff like grub2 and {ext,sys}linux.
It'd be sweet to make things more easily convertible to netboot or
cdrom-boot scenarios.

--
:wq

Old 06-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Dale

Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> <<< SNIP >>>
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Well, I got lots of info now. May just wait a bit but I do like the
idea of being able to boot a CD image from grub2 tho. Then again, I
don't have enough room on /boot right now anyway.

Thanks to all for the info. Maybe others learned something too. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> It appears that grub2 is coming soon.

grub 2.00 has been released!

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Dale

Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It appears that grub2 is coming soon.
> grub 2.00 has been released!
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

I wasn't expecting it to be that soon. I guess it will hit the tree
pretty soon then. Well, we all need to think about the goods and bads
of upgrading or staying with the old. I'm thinking about using the new
one pretty soon. Heck, they ticked me off pretty bad with the /usr and
init thingy so I may as well jump off the cliff I was pushed up to. :/

1/4 of the way down, all is good so far. 1/2 way down and all is good
so far. 3/4 way down and all is good so far. I'm worried about that
sudden stop now. O_O

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 AM
walt

On 06/28/2012 03:41 PM, Dale wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It appears that grub2 is coming soon.
>> grub 2.00 has been released!
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

> I wasn't expecting it to be that soon. I guess it will hit the tree
> pretty soon then. Well, we all need to think about the goods and bads
> of upgrading or staying with the old. I'm thinking about using the new
> one pretty soon. Heck, they ticked me off pretty bad with the /usr and
> init thingy so I may as well jump off the cliff I was pushed up to. :/
>
> 1/4 of the way down, all is good so far. 1/2 way down and all is good
> so far. 3/4 way down and all is good so far. I'm worried about that
> sudden stop now. O_O

Well said

I've heard a rumor that Windows doesn't like GUID partition tables, so
I haven't yet installed grub2 on my one machine that still multiboots
between operating systems. (That's my one remaining machine with a
legal install of Windows.) I confess I'm not interested enough to
confirm the rumor, so I continue to wait because there is no incentive
for me to make the change.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Alecks Gates

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/28/2012 03:41 PM, Dale wrote:
> > Paul Hartman wrote:
> >> grub 2.00 has been released!
> >>
> >> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
>

> > I wasn't expecting it to be that soon. *I guess it will hit the tree
> > pretty soon then. *Well, we all need to think about the goods and bads
> > of upgrading or staying with the old. *I'm thinking about using the new
> > one pretty soon. *Heck, they ticked me off pretty bad with the /usr and
> > init thingy so I may as well jump off the cliff I was pushed up to. *:/
> >
> > 1/4 of the way down, all is good so far. *1/2 way down and all is good
> > so far. *3/4 way down and all is good so far. *I'm worried about that
> > sudden stop now. *O_O
>
> Well said
>
> I've heard a rumor that Windows doesn't like GUID partition tables, so
> I haven't yet installed grub2 on my one machine that still multiboots
> between operating systems. *(That's my one remaining machine with a
> legal install of Windows.) *I confess I'm not interested enough to
> confirm the rumor, so I continue to wait because there is no incentive
> for me to make the change.

I've never had a problem with Grub 2 + Windows (XP, Vista, 7, still
haven't had the will to sacrifice myself for 8). Although sometimes
it seems, with all the complaining some linux users like to do about
new software, I must be a wee bit lucky. Been using Grub 2 alpha/beta
for years with much success! I've so far enjoyed the configuration
more than legacy Grub.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:36 AM
walt

On 06/28/2012 05:19 PM, Alecks Gates wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I wasn't expecting it to be that soon. I guess it will hit the tree
>>> pretty soon then. Well, we all need to think about the goods and bads
>>> of upgrading or staying with the old. I'm thinking about using the new
>>> one pretty soon. Heck, they ticked me off pretty bad with the /usr and
>>> init thingy so I may as well jump off the cliff I was pushed up to. :/
>>>
>>> 1/4 of the way down, all is good so far. 1/2 way down and all is good
>>> so far. 3/4 way down and all is good so far. I'm worried about that
>>> sudden stop now. O_O
>>
>> Well said
>>
>> I've heard a rumor that Windows doesn't like GUID partition tables, so
>> I haven't yet installed grub2 on my one machine that still multiboots
>> between operating systems. (That's my one remaining machine with a
>> legal install of Windows.) I confess I'm not interested enough to
>> confirm the rumor, so I continue to wait because there is no incentive
>> for me to make the change.
>>

> I've never had a problem with Grub 2 + Windows (XP, Vista, 7, still
> haven't had the will to sacrifice myself for 8). Although sometimes
> it seems, with all the complaining some linux users like to do about
> new software, I must be a wee bit lucky. Been using Grub 2 alpha/beta
> for years with much success! I've so far enjoyed the configuration
> more than legacy Grub.

Just to confirm, my reservations are not about Windows, but about GUID
partitions. Are you using GUID partition tables?

Old 06-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Michael Mol

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It appears that grub2 is coming soon.
>> grub 2.00 has been released!
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
>>

> I wasn't expecting it to be that soon. *I guess it will hit the tree
> pretty soon then. *Well, we all need to think about the goods and bads
> of upgrading or staying with the old. *I'm thinking about using the new
> one pretty soon. *Heck, they ticked me off pretty bad with the /usr and
> init thingy so I may as well jump off the cliff I was pushed up to. *:/
>
> 1/4 of the way down, all is good so far. *1/2 way down and all is good
> so far. *3/4 way down and all is good so far. *I'm worried about that
> sudden stop now. *O_O
>
> Dale

*shuffles his feet*

I've started using genkernel. Once I discovered I can specify my own
kernel configuration, it got a lot less ugly to me. The initramfs
thing hasn't gotten in my way...yet. And it helped me recover an
install process once so far, so I can't complain _to_ much. My only
complaint thus far is its terrible error reporting. And since I'm
using an initramfs, I went ahead and dropped my / on top of a raid5
volume.

But even before I started using genkernel...grub2 sounded like a good
thing. One of the previous threads in here described how you assemble
its configuration, and it made a *lot* of sense, from an architectural
standpoint.

--
:wq