Old 06-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Andrew Lowe

Default Hibernate and a few other things have gone missing

Hi all,
I've been doing sort of regular syncs and emerge worlds, every couple
of days, but not really paying attention to changes as they have
happened. On the other hand I've read, or rather I think I have read,
the news and comments/warnings that appear after the emerge world and
can't remember anything groundbreaking that I had to follow up. Today I
noticed a few things have disappeared and was wondering if anyone had
the same problems.

1) Hibernate has disappeared from the "Leave" option in the KDE menu

2) My Dolphin has lost some mappings to an NTFS disk that I dual boot
to. On the left hand side of Dolphin there's a panel, "Places" I think
it's called, where you can put commonly used dir's. Network mappings I
have are still there but the NTFS dir's has gone walkabout.

3) Dolphin no longer automagically places into "Places", the thingy
mentioned above in 2), memory sticks when I insert them. In fact if
automounting is working shouldn't something appear in the /media dir?
I'm getting nothing in there.

Does anyone know of any changes that have happened recently that could
have caused this or has my machine just decided to be flakey on my.

Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
Andrew

Old 06-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Liam Symonds

Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Liam Symonds

On 23/06/12 10:36, Liam Symonds wrote:

> On 23/06/12 08:28, Andrew Lowe wrote:

> > Hi all,

> > I've been doing sort of regular syncs and emerge worlds,
every couple

> of days, but not really paying attention to changes as they
have

> happened. On the other hand I've read, or rather I think I
have read,

> the news and comments/warnings that appear after the emerge
world and

> can't remember anything groundbreaking that I had to follow
up. Today I

> noticed a few things have disappeared and was wondering if
anyone had

> the same problems.

> > 1) Hibernate has disappeared from the "Leave" option in
the KDE menu

> > 2) My Dolphin has lost some mappings to an NTFS disk
that I dual boot

> to. On the left hand side of Dolphin there's a panel,
"Places" I think

> it's called, where you can put commonly used dir's. Network
mappings I

> have are still there but the NTFS dir's has gone walkabout.

> > 3) Dolphin no longer automagically places into "Places",
the thingy

> mentioned above in 2), memory sticks when I insert them. In
fact if

> automounting is working shouldn't something appear in the
/media dir?

> I'm getting nothing in there.

> > Does anyone know of any changes that have happened
recently that could

> have caused this or has my machine just decided to be flakey
on my.

> > Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,

> > Andrew

> Hi Andrew,

> Could you please copy & paste the output of /etc/fstab
please? That

> could be the answer about the automounting problem!

> Regarding the problem about hibernation, can you use the
terminal

> command pm-hibernate? If it does not work correctly then you
may have

> something wrong with the pm-utils package (if that is what
Gentoo uses,

> I have no idea).

> Warm Regards,

> Liam.

Regarding my previous statement "if that is what Gentoo uses" I
meant if that is what KDE uses, my mistake

- - Liam.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:28:15 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:

> 1) Hibernate has disappeared from the "Leave" option in the KDE menu

It may or may not help, but I've just upgraded from KDE 4.8.3 to 4.8.4
and the hibernate option is still there.

--
Neil Bothwick

Kludge: (v., adj., or n.) to fix a program in the usual way.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Frank Steinmetzger

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 03:28:15PM +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:
> Hi all,
> […]
>
> 1) Hibernate has disappeared from the "Leave" option in the KDE menu
>
> 2) My Dolphin has lost some mappings to an NTFS disk that I dual boot
> to. On the left hand side of Dolphin there's a panel, "Places" I think
> it's called, where you can put commonly used dir's. Network mappings I
> have are still there but the NTFS dir's has gone walkabout.
>
> 3) Dolphin no longer automagically places into "Places", the thingy
> mentioned above in 2), memory sticks when I insert them. In fact if
> automounting is working shouldn't something appear in the /media dir?
> I'm getting nothing in there.
>
> Does anyone know of any changes that have happened recently that could
> have caused this or has my machine just decided to be flakey on my.
>
> Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
> Andrew

Sounds a little bit like dbus not running. Such dynamic stuff is mostly done
through dbus calls. I installed a fresh system here and upon first login in
KDE, I got some strange errors. Turned out that I forgot to rc-update-add
dbus.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.

Even a dream job does not entitle to sleeping during work hours.