Old 06-22-2012, 04:47 PM
walt

Default Need Help!

On 06/22/2012 09:20 AM, Willie wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been running a gentoo box for quite some time without a
> desktop manager. Did a lot of upgrading in between time also. The
> problem I am having is when I login I can't open any Windows. The
> only one that has open without crashing the entire computer that I
> know of is VLC.

Can you give us more details about the symptoms? What steps do you
follow and what do you see, for example, when the machine finishes
booting up? What do you do to log in, and what do you do to (try)
to open a window?

Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Freitag, 22. Juni 2012, 09:20:24 schrieb Willie:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been running a gentoo box for quite some time without a desktop
> manager. Did a lot of upgrading in between time also. The problem I am
> having is when I login I can't open any Windows. The only one that has open
> without crashing the entire computer that I know of is VLC.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

dmesg, Xorg.0.log, .xsession-errors... for starters.
--
#163933

Old 06-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Willie

Fist thing I do is start XDM, login with my normal users. I can't open Session and Startup. Like I said before, I haven't been on it in XFCE for a long time. When I do that the screen becomes blurry, no keyboard, mouse or ssh access to the computer. I assume that the entire computer is frozen. There is nothing in /var/log/messages but a jump in time from when it crashed to when it started to boot again. Can't read dmesg, if I am not mistaken that starts over when you restart the computer. Haven't tried to read the Xorg.0.log or the .xsession-errors yet. I am going to try it again now and see what it says about this.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

Am Freitag, 22. Juni 2012, 09:20:24 schrieb Willie:

> Hi All,

> I have been running a gentoo box for quite some time without a desktop

> manager. Did a lot of upgrading in between time also. The problem I am

> having is when I login I can't open any Windows. The only one that has open

> without crashing the entire computer that I know of is VLC.

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

dmesg, Xorg.0.log, .xsession-errors... for starters.

--

#163933

--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com

Old 06-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Freitag, 22. Juni 2012, 11:07:55 schrieb Willie:
> Fist thing I do is start XDM, login with my normal users. I can't open
> Session and Startup. Like I said before, I haven't been on it in XFCE for a
> long time. When I do that the screen becomes blurry, no keyboard, mouse or
> ssh access to the computer. I assume that the entire computer is frozen.
> There is nothing in /var/log/messages but a jump in time from when it
> crashed to when it started to boot again. Can't read dmesg, if I am not
> mistaken that starts over when you restart the computer. Haven't tried to
> read the Xorg.0.log or the .xsession-errors yet. I am going to try it again
> now and see what it says about this.

protipp: in local.start:
dmesg >> /dmesg.out

--
#163933

Old 06-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Willie

Fist thing I do is start XDM, login with my normal users. I can't open Session and Startup. Like I said before, I haven't been on it in XFCE for a long time. When I do that the screen becomes blurry, no keyboard, mouse or ssh access to the computer. I assume that the entire computer is frozen. There is nothing in /var/log/messages but a jump in time from when it crashed to when it started to boot again. Can't read dmesg, if I am not mistaken that starts over when you restart the computer. Haven't tried to read the Xorg.0.log or the .xsession-errors yet. I am going to try it again now and see what it says about this.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

Am Freitag, 22. Juni 2012, 09:20:24 schrieb Willie:

> Hi All,

> I have been running a gentoo box for quite some time without a desktop

> manager. Did a lot of upgrading in between time also. The problem I am

> having is when I login I can't open any Windows. The only one that has open

> without crashing the entire computer that I know of is VLC.

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

dmesg, Xorg.0.log, .xsession-errors... for starters.

--

#163933

--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com

The two files are empty after a reboot.
--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com

Old 06-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Michael Mol

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Willie <matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Willie <matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Fist thing I do is start XDM, login with my normal users. I can't open
>> Session and Startup. Like I said before, I haven't been on it in XFCE for a
>> long time. When I do that the screen becomes blurry, no keyboard, mouse or
>> ssh access to the computer. I assume that the entire computer is frozen.
>> There is nothing in /var/log/messages but a jump in time from when it
>> crashed to when it started to boot again. Can't read dmesg, if I am not
>> mistaken that starts over when you restart the computer. Haven't tried to
>> read the Xorg.0.log or the .xsession-errors yet. I am going to try it again
>> now and see what it says about this.
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> dmesg, Xorg.0.log, .xsession-errors... for starters.

[snip]

> The two files are empty after a reboot.

Any Xorg.*.log file would help.

dmesg's prior output should find its way into /var/log/messages

In any case, try removing xdm from your default runlevel, and run
startx and your X session manually?

--
:wq

Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Willie <matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been running a gentoo box for quite some time without a desktop
> manager. Did a lot of upgrading in between time also. The problem I am
> having is when I login I can't open any Windows. The only one that has open
> without crashing the entire computer that I know of is VLC.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Be sure to "emerge --oneshot @x11-module-rebuild" after upgrading xorg
stuff. Drivers might be out of sync and maybe that's causing your
pain.

Try to delete/rename your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if that makes a
difference. Modern Xorg can start a basic environment without it.

Try to run "startx" as a user instead of using xdm and see if you get
any better errors/logs.

If you have another computer/device SSH into your problematic computer
before starting X so you can see if it's still alive, just
unresponsive at the local terminal. Maybe then you can see logs and
stuff.

revdep-rebuild just to ensure everything is consistent on your system.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Willie

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Willie <matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,

> I have been running a gentoo box for quite some time without a desktop

> manager. Did a lot of upgrading in between time also. The problem I am

> having is when I login I can't open any Windows. The only one that has open

> without crashing the entire computer that I know of is VLC.

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Be sure to "emerge --oneshot @x11-module-rebuild" after upgrading xorg

stuff. Drivers might be out of sync and maybe that's causing your

pain.

Try to delete/rename your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if that makes a

difference. Modern Xorg can start a basic environment without it.

Try to run "startx" as a user instead of using xdm and see if you get

any better errors/logs.

If you have another computer/device SSH into your problematic computer

before starting X so you can see if it's still alive, just

unresponsive at the local terminal. Maybe then you can see logs and

stuff.

revdep-rebuild just to ensure everything is consistent on your system.

I rebuild all of my x11-drivers it rebuild the nvidia driver along with a couple of others.
I used startx and got the errors below. I have a feeling it has something to do with my nVidia card (Geforce 8400GS)

SSH is not active anymore. It is also the computer that shares the internet and no one can access the internet either.
Okay now I think we are getting somewhere. Didn't think to leave XDM out but I did do it. It still froze but I got some useful information soon as it did freeze. This is from /var/log/messages

Jun 22 11:52:52 beast kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:02:00): 6, PE0001*Jun 22 11:52:54 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU while in atomic or interrupt contextJun 22 11:52:54 beast kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:02:00): 3, C 00000002 SC 00000003 M 00000100 Data 00000000

Jun 22 11:53:03 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU while in atomic or interrupt contextJun 22 11:53:05 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU while in atomic or interrupt context

Jun 22 11:53:08 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU while in atomic or interrupt context
That was printed as soon as XFCE froze.
--

Willie Matthews

matthews.willie@gmail.com

Old 06-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Michael Mol

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Willie <matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Willie <matthews.willie@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I have been running a gentoo box for quite some time without a desktop
>> > manager. Did a lot of upgrading in between time also. The problem I am
>> > having is when I login I can't open any Windows. The only one that has
>> > open
>> > without crashing the entire computer that I know of is VLC.
>> >
>> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Be sure to "emerge --oneshot @x11-module-rebuild" after upgrading xorg
>> stuff. Drivers might be out of sync and maybe that's causing your
>> pain.
>>
>> Try to delete/rename your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if that makes a
>> difference. Modern Xorg can start a basic environment without it.
>>
>> Try to run "startx" as a user instead of using xdm and see if you get
>> any better errors/logs.
>>
>> If you have another computer/device SSH into your problematic computer
>> before starting X so you can see if it's still alive, just
>> unresponsive at the local terminal. Maybe then you can see logs and
>> stuff.
>>
>> revdep-rebuild just to ensure everything is consistent on your system.
>>

> I rebuild all of my x11-drivers it rebuild the nvidia driver along with a
> couple of others.
>
> I used startx and got the errors below. I have a feeling it has something to
> do with my nVidia card (Geforce 8400GS)
>
> SSH is not active anymore. It is also the computer that shares the internet
> and no one can access the internet either.
>
> Okay now I think we are getting somewhere. Didn't think to leave XDM out but
> I did do it. It still froze but I got some useful information soon as it did
> freeze. This is from /var/log/messages
>
> Jun 22 11:52:52 beast kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:02:00): 6, PE0001
> Jun 22 11:52:54 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU
> while in atomic or interrupt context
> Jun 22 11:52:54 beast kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:02:00): 3, C 00000002 SC
> 00000003 M 00000100 Data 00000000
> Jun 22 11:53:03 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU
> while in atomic or interrupt context
> Jun 22 11:53:05 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU
> while in atomic or interrupt context
> Jun 22 11:53:08 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU
> while in atomic or interrupt context
>
> That was printed as soon as XFCE froze.

What do you have for VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/make.conf?

--
:wq

Old 06-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Willie <matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Willie <matthews.willie@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I have been running a gentoo box for quite some time without a desktop
>> > manager. Did a lot of upgrading in between time also. The problem I am
>> > having is when I login I can't open any Windows. The only one that has
>> > open
>> > without crashing the entire computer that I know of is VLC.
>> >
>> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Be sure to "emerge --oneshot @x11-module-rebuild" after upgrading xorg
>> stuff. Drivers might be out of sync and maybe that's causing your
>> pain.
>>
>> Try to delete/rename your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if that makes a
>> difference. Modern Xorg can start a basic environment without it.
>>
>> Try to run "startx" as a user instead of using xdm and see if you get
>> any better errors/logs.
>>
>> If you have another computer/device SSH into your problematic computer
>> before starting X so you can see if it's still alive, just
>> unresponsive at the local terminal. Maybe then you can see logs and
>> stuff.
>>
>> revdep-rebuild just to ensure everything is consistent on your system.
>>

> I rebuild all of my x11-drivers it rebuild the nvidia driver along with a
> couple of others.
>
> I used startx and got the errors below. I have a feeling it has something to
> do with my nVidia card (Geforce 8400GS)
>
> SSH is not active anymore. It is also the computer that shares the internet
> and no one can access the internet either.
>
> Okay now I think we are getting somewhere. Didn't think to leave XDM out but
> I did do it. It still froze but I got some useful information soon as it did
> freeze. This is from /var/log/messages
>
> Jun 22 11:52:52 beast kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:02:00): 6, PE0001
> Jun 22 11:52:54 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU
> while in atomic or interrupt context
> Jun 22 11:52:54 beast kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:02:00): 3, C 00000002 SC
> 00000003 M 00000100 Data 00000000
> Jun 22 11:53:03 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU
> while in atomic or interrupt context
> Jun 22 11:53:05 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU
> while in atomic or interrupt context
> Jun 22 11:53:08 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU
> while in atomic or interrupt context
>
> That was printed as soon as XFCE froze.

Okay, now I googled those errors and it seems to be a fairly common
problem. The workaround I saw is to add "nolapic_timer" to your kernel
commandline. Try that, reboot and cross your fingers.