Old 06-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Willie

Default Need Help!

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Willie <matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Paul Hartman

> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Willie <matthews.willie@gmail.com>

>> wrote:

>> > Hi All,

>> > I have been running a gentoo box for quite some time without a desktop

>> > manager. Did a lot of upgrading in between time also. The problem I am

>> > having is when I login I can't open any Windows. The only one that has

>> > open

>> > without crashing the entire computer that I know of is VLC.

>> > Any help is greatly appreciated.

>> Be sure to "emerge --oneshot @x11-module-rebuild" after upgrading xorg

>> stuff. Drivers might be out of sync and maybe that's causing your

>> pain.

>> Try to delete/rename your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if that makes a

>> difference. Modern Xorg can start a basic environment without it.

>> Try to run "startx" as a user instead of using xdm and see if you get

>> any better errors/logs.

>> If you have another computer/device SSH into your problematic computer

>> before starting X so you can see if it's still alive, just

>> unresponsive at the local terminal. Maybe then you can see logs and

>> stuff.

>> revdep-rebuild just to ensure everything is consistent on your system.

> I rebuild all of my x11-drivers it rebuild the nvidia driver along with a

> couple of others.

> I used startx and got the errors below. I have a feeling it has something to

> do with my nVidia card (Geforce 8400GS)

> SSH is not active anymore. It is also the computer that shares the internet

> and no one can access the internet either.

> Okay now I think we are getting somewhere. Didn't think to leave XDM out but

> I did do it. It still froze but I got some useful information soon as it did

> freeze. This is from /var/log/messages

> Jun 22 11:52:52 beast kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:02:00): 6, PE0001

> Jun 22 11:52:54 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU

> while in atomic or interrupt context

> Jun 22 11:52:54 beast kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:02:00): 3, C 00000002 SC

> 00000003 M 00000100 Data 00000000

> Jun 22 11:53:03 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU

> while in atomic or interrupt context

> Jun 22 11:53:05 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU

> while in atomic or interrupt context

> Jun 22 11:53:08 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU

> while in atomic or interrupt context

> That was printed as soon as XFCE froze.

Okay, now I googled those errors and it seems to be a fairly common

problem. The workaround I saw is to add "nolapic_timer" to your kernel

commandline. Try that, reboot and cross your fingers.

Yeah I see that too. Tried to add that to my grub.conf/menu.lst. It did not work for me. I rebuild my kernel for nouveau drivers. Rebuilt xorg-drivers and mesa, installed*xf86-video-nouveau. So far it is not working, still might have to do some tweaking.

--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com

Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Freitag, 22. Juni 2012, 14:51:04 schrieb Willie:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Paul Hartman <
>
> paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Willie <matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I rebuild all of my x11-drivers it rebuild the nvidia driver along with
> > > couple of others.
> > >
> > > I used startx and got the errors below. I have a feeling it has
> >
> > something to
> >
> > > do with my nVidia card (Geforce 8400GS)
> > >
> > > SSH is not active anymore. It is also the computer that shares the
> >
> > internet
> >
> > > and no one can access the internet either.
> > >
> > > Okay now I think we are getting somewhere. Didn't think to leave XDM out
> >
> > but
> >
> > > I did do it. It still froze but I got some useful information soon as it
> >
> > did
> >
> > > freeze. This is from /var/log/messages
> > >
> > > Jun 22 11:52:52 beast kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:02:00): 6, PE0001
> > > Jun 22 11:52:54 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the
> >
> > CPU
> >
> > > while in atomic or interrupt context
> > > Jun 22 11:52:54 beast kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:02:00): 3, C 00000002 SC
> > > 00000003 M 00000100 Data 00000000
> > > Jun 22 11:53:03 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the
> >
> > CPU
> >
> > > while in atomic or interrupt context
> > > Jun 22 11:53:05 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the
> >
> > CPU
> >
> > > while in atomic or interrupt context
> > > Jun 22 11:53:08 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the
> >
> > CPU
> >
> > > while in atomic or interrupt context
> > >
> > > That was printed as soon as XFCE froze.
> >
> > Okay, now I googled those errors and it seems to be a fairly common
> > problem. The workaround I saw is to add "nolapic_timer" to your kernel
> > commandline. Try that, reboot and cross your fingers.
>
> Yeah I see that too. Tried to add that to my grub.conf/menu.lst. It did not
> work for me. I rebuild my kernel for nouveau drivers. Rebuilt xorg-drivers
> and mesa, installed xf86-video-nouveau. So far it is not working, still
> might have to do some tweaking.

if you use nvidia binary, turn off all nvidia graphics related stuff in the
kernel and to be sure nothing screws you over - unmerge nouveau.

If you use nouveau, try the binary driver.

There are reasons, Linus does not like nvidia very much.

--
#163933

Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 22. Juni 2012, 14:51:04 schrieb Willie:
>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Paul Hartman <
>>
>> paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > something to

>> > internet

>> > but

>> > did

>> > CPU

>> > CPU

>> > CPU

>> > CPU

>> > Okay, now I googled those errors and it seems to be a fairly common
>> > problem. The workaround I saw is to add "nolapic_timer" to your kernel
>> > commandline. Try that, reboot and cross your fingers.
>>
>> Yeah I see that too. Tried to add that to my grub.conf/menu.lst. It did not
>> work for me. I rebuild my kernel for nouveau drivers. Rebuilt xorg-drivers
>> and mesa, installed xf86-video-nouveau. So far it is not working, still
>> might have to do some tweaking.
>
> if you use nvidia binary, turn off all nvidia graphics related stuff in the
> kernel and to be sure nothing screws you over - unmerge nouveau.
>
> If you use nouveau, try the binary driver.
>

> There are reasons, Linus does not like nvidia very much.

And if you use the nvidia binary driver be sure to blacklist nouveau
module so it does not autoload in case the module is still around from
a previous build.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Willie

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

Am Freitag, 22. Juni 2012, 14:51:04 schrieb Willie:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Paul Hartman <

> paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Willie <matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I rebuild all of my x11-drivers it rebuild the nvidia driver along with

> > > couple of others.

> > > I used startx and got the errors below. I have a feeling it has

> > something to

> > > do with my nVidia card (Geforce 8400GS)

> > > SSH is not active anymore. It is also the computer that shares the

> > internet

> > > and no one can access the internet either.

> > > Okay now I think we are getting somewhere. Didn't think to leave XDM out

> > but

> > > I did do it. It still froze but I got some useful information soon as it

> > did

> > > freeze. This is from /var/log/messages

> > > Jun 22 11:52:52 beast kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:02:00): 6, PE0001

> > > Jun 22 11:52:54 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the

> > CPU

> > > while in atomic or interrupt context

> > > Jun 22 11:52:54 beast kernel: NVRM: Xid (0000:02:00): 3, C 00000002 SC

> > > 00000003 M 00000100 Data 00000000

> > > Jun 22 11:53:03 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the

> > CPU

> > > while in atomic or interrupt context

> > > Jun 22 11:53:05 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the

> > CPU

> > > while in atomic or interrupt context

> > > Jun 22 11:53:08 beast kernel: NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the

> > CPU

> > > while in atomic or interrupt context

> > > That was printed as soon as XFCE froze.

> > Okay, now I googled those errors and it seems to be a fairly common

> > problem. The workaround I saw is to add "nolapic_timer" to your kernel

> > commandline. Try that, reboot and cross your fingers.

> Yeah I see that too. Tried to add that to my grub.conf/menu.lst. It did not

> work for me. I rebuild my kernel for nouveau drivers. Rebuilt xorg-drivers

> and mesa, installed xf86-video-nouveau. So far it is not working, still

> might have to do some tweaking.

if you use nvidia binary, turn off all nvidia graphics related stuff in the

kernel and to be sure nothing screws you over - unmerge nouveau.

If you use nouveau, try the binary driver.

There are reasons, Linus does not like nvidia very much.

--

#163933

It was working with this same kernel. I can't figure out for the life of me why it is not working now. I have a feeling after 6 months of upgrades something broke in that time.*I am fine with the nouveau driver. I only really want a GUI to play movies.

--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com

Old 06-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Alecks Gates

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Willie <matthews.willie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Am Freitag, 22. Juni 2012, 14:51:04 schrieb Willie:

>> > Yeah I see that too. Tried to add that to my grub.conf/menu.lst. It did
>> > not
>> > work for me. I rebuild my kernel for nouveau drivers. Rebuilt
>> > xorg-drivers
>> > and mesa, installed xf86-video-nouveau. So far it is not working, still
>> > might have to do some tweaking.
>>
>> if you use nvidia binary, turn off all nvidia graphics related stuff in
>> the
>> kernel and to be sure nothing screws you over - unmerge nouveau.
>>
>> If you use nouveau, try the binary driver.
>>

>> There are reasons, Linus does not like nvidia very much.
>>
>> --
>> #163933
>

> It was working with this same kernel. I can't figure out for the life of me
> why it is not working now. I have a feeling after 6 months of upgrades
> something broke in that time.*I am fine with the nouveau driver. I only
> really want a GUI to play movies.
>
> --
>
> Willie Matthews
> matthews.willie@gmail.com

A bit off topic but you don't really need a full GUI for movies. Try
just X + mplayer, or XBMC. Dunno if those alone would work for you
(and you probably want to fix your problems anyway). Depending on
your CPU and video card, the proprietary drivers may help you if you
can use VDPAU for video acceleration.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:01 AM
Willie

This is for my kid. He likes to watch movies. He knows how to use the shortcut on the desktop. I really don't need to reinvent the wheel on this one. It all works just like he learned it.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 20:28:11 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> protipp: in local.start:
> dmesg >> /dmesg.out

Or put log_dmesg="YES" into /etc/conf.d/bootmisc, which I think is there
by default anyway.

--
Neil Bothwick

When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in?