Old 04-10-2008, 02:04 PM
"Amar Cosic"

Default Dell PowerEdge 750 problem

Actually hell.. Dont know what to do. I am tryng to setup Gentoo on this server all the day and whatever I try there is no luck. I used genkernel andd Lilo and whenever I try to boot from HD I got:

Block device /dev/sda3 is not valid root device...

Could not find the root block device in.

Anyone knows at all any solution to this ? :/

Thanks
--
Amar Ćosić
amar.cosic@gmail.com

+38761240095
http://www.amar.co.ba

Old 04-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 10 April 2008, Amar Cosic wrote:
> Actually hell.. Dont know what to do. I am tryng to setup Gentoo on
> this server all the day and whatever I try there is no luck. I used
> genkernel andd Lilo and whenever I try to boot from HD I got:
>
> Block device /dev/sda3 is not valid root device...
> Could not find the root block device in.

You have not compiled all the needed drivers into the kernel. You'll
need drivers for your chipset, the scsi stuff and libata.

Try google, this has been asked and answered hundreds of times this year
alone.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-10-2008, 02:57 PM
"Amar Cosic"

Alan

I tried everything, tor on all scsi stuff,almost all ata/sata stuff, but still no luck :/ .Do you know exactly where to look for libata in kernel menu ?

Thanks

Old 04-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 10 April 2008, Amar Cosic wrote:
> Alan
>
> I tried everything, tor on all scsi stuff,almost all ata/sata stuff,
> but still no luck :/ .Do you know exactly where to look for libata in
> kernel menu ?

What disk hardware do you have?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:12 PM
"Amar Cosic"

What disk hardware do you have?

--

Alan McKinnon

alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

http://pastebin.ca/979686

http://pastebin.ca/979691

DOnt know actualy how to get full disk info. Hope this can help

Thanks
--
Amar Ćosić
amar.cosic@gmail.com

Old 04-11-2008, 05:43 AM
Stroller

... whenever I try to boot from HD I got:

Block device /dev/sda3 is not valid root device...
Could not find the root block device in.

You have not compiled all the needed drivers into the kernel. You'll
need drivers for your chipset, the scsi stuff and libata.

And for the filesystem of the root fs.

Stroller.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 09:07 +0200, Amar Cosic wrote:
> This is hell! I have all SATA stuff, all SCSI stuff ,almost all ATA
> stuf, all Intel stuff, all Linux FS stuff and still same errorr for 24
> hours (

with my Poweredge 2900, the live cd shows a different device to the
kernel, eg livecd shows my disks as sda, but the kernel shows the as
hda, or vice versa. You might want to try all (h|s)da3 combinations...

HTH,

FIVE DAYS IS NOT TOO LONG TO WAIT FOR A GUN

Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode 1F20

Old 04-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 10 April 2008 15:04:56 Amar Cosic wrote:

> Block device /dev/sda3 is not valid root device...
> Could not find the root block device in.

Is AHCI set up correctly in your BIOS? Try toggling it and see if that
helps.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 04-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Hal Martin

Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Thursday 10 April 2008 15:04:56 Amar Cosic wrote:
>

>> Block device /dev/sda3 is not valid root device...
>> Could not find the root block device in.
>>

> Is AHCI set up correctly in your BIOS? Try toggling it and see if that
> helps.

On these lines, what CPU does this thing use? AFAIK Lilo has some issues
with newer (specifically AMD64 and 64-bit systems) hardware. I'm aware
that this server is equipped with an Intel CPU, but could it be that
Lilo simply doesn't support your hardware?

Unfortunately, it is proving harder than I expected to find a list of
Lilo supported hardware.

-Hal