Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 AM
Philip Webb

Default I/net server throttling

In recent weeks, I've seen many instances of downloads of files
coming in small segments, which seem to be the same for each server,
but vary between different servers. Some Gentoo mirrors suffer this way
-- not all -- & some general news sites, eg when delivering videos,
which run for a few secs, then freeze, then resume etc.
Once I observed a server doing this for several hours (a large file),
then suddenly loosening up & delivering the rest of the file in one go.

Does anyone else have similar experiences or any comments ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 06-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Mick

On Friday 22 Jun 2012 05:41:14 Philip Webb wrote:
> In recent weeks, I've seen many instances of downloads of files
> coming in small segments, which seem to be the same for each server,
> but vary between different servers. Some Gentoo mirrors suffer this way
> -- not all -- & some general news sites, eg when delivering videos,
> which run for a few secs, then freeze, then resume etc.
> Once I observed a server doing this for several hours (a large file),
> then suddenly loosening up & delivering the rest of the file in one go.
>
> Does anyone else have similar experiences or any comments ?

Yes, when I use the wireless network at work. It could be the ISP or it could
be other users taking up bandwidth. Really early in the morning performance
is generally higher than during work hours.

So what I'm saying is that this could be due to contention on the local
network, or the ISP's pipe. Do you get such problems off peak hours?
Mick

Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Philip Webb

120622 Mick wrote:
> On Friday 22 Jun 2012 05:41:14 Philip Webb wrote:
>> In recent weeks, I've seen many instances of downloads of files
>> coming in small segments, which seem to be the same for each server,
>> but vary between different servers. Some Gentoo mirrors suffer this way
>> -- not all -- & some general news sites, eg when delivering videos,
>> which run for a few secs, then freeze, then resume etc.
>> Once I observed a server doing this for several hours (a large file),
>> then suddenly loosening up & delivering the rest of the file in one go.
> Yes, when I use the wireless network at work.
> It could be the ISP or it could be other users taking up bandwidth.
> Really early in the morning performance is generally higher
> than during work hours. this could be due to contention
> on the local network or the ISP's pipe.
> Do you get such problems off peak hours?

I think you're describing a different phenomenon, traffic jams (smile).
That sometimes happens here & may persist for 1 - 2 weeks ,
but it feels just like driving on the highway when 1 lane is closed.
That probably is some piece of the Internet or ISP under repair or test.

What I'm refering to is getting downloaded files in slices,
eg using Wget, a piece of the file downloads for 22 sec , then stops;
Wget tries again & another 22 sec piece comes down the pipe, then stops.
This can go on for hours with a big file
& doesn't seem related to the local time of day.
My guess is that the server has been programmed to stop after 22 sec
in an effort to share access among many clients,
but it is irritating & also suggests the server needs faster hardware.

Have others noticed this -- it seems to be a recent innovation --
& is it a known ploy of server managers ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 06-22-2012, 10:29 AM
William Kenworthy

On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 05:10 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> 120622 Mick wrote:
> > On Friday 22 Jun 2012 05:41:14 Philip Webb wrote:
> >> In recent weeks, I've seen many instances of downloads of files
> >> coming in small segments, which seem to be the same for each server,
> >> but vary between different servers. Some Gentoo mirrors suffer this way
> >> -- not all -- & some general news sites, eg when delivering videos,
> >> which run for a few secs, then freeze, then resume etc.
> >> Once I observed a server doing this for several hours (a large file),
> >> then suddenly loosening up & delivering the rest of the file in one go.
> > Yes, when I use the wireless network at work.
> > It could be the ISP or it could be other users taking up bandwidth.
> > Really early in the morning performance is generally higher
> > than during work hours. this could be due to contention
> > on the local network or the ISP's pipe.
> > Do you get such problems off peak hours?
>
> I think you're describing a different phenomenon, traffic jams (smile).
> That sometimes happens here & may persist for 1 - 2 weeks ,
> but it feels just like driving on the highway when 1 lane is closed.
> That probably is some piece of the Internet or ISP under repair or test.
>
> What I'm refering to is getting downloaded files in slices,
> eg using Wget, a piece of the file downloads for 22 sec , then stops;
> Wget tries again & another 22 sec piece comes down the pipe, then stops.
> This can go on for hours with a big file
> & doesn't seem related to the local time of day.
> My guess is that the server has been programmed to stop after 22 sec
> in an effort to share access among many clients,
> but it is irritating & also suggests the server needs faster hardware.
>
> Have others noticed this -- it seems to be a recent innovation --
> & is it a known ploy of server managers ?

Are you using traffic shaping like a "police filter", or is there
shaping somewhere in the path? - most of the linux shaping methods work
on a burst principle that produces a given throughput by gating the
traffic for an average throughput. I have seen the effect you mention
with block transfer protocols (ftp) and wget when trying to use its
built in bandwidth regulation which works similarly to when traffic
shaping is in effect. There seems to be an interaction between the two
instances of regulating the traffic to create an effect like you have
seen. This also affects other traffic trying to use the link at the
same time as the available bandwidth gets very "choppy".

I have less experience with other than linux based shaping methods such
as Cisco QoS methods but have not seen the same effect there.

BillK

Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Mick

On Friday 22 Jun 2012 11:29:00 William Kenworthy wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 05:10 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> > 120622 Mick wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, when I use the wireless network at work.
> > > It could be the ISP or it could be other users taking up bandwidth.
> > > Really early in the morning performance is generally higher
> > > than during work hours. this could be due to contention
> > > on the local network or the ISP's pipe.
> > > Do you get such problems off peak hours?
> >
> > I think you're describing a different phenomenon, traffic jams (smile).
> > That sometimes happens here & may persist for 1 - 2 weeks ,
> > but it feels just like driving on the highway when 1 lane is closed.
> > That probably is some piece of the Internet or ISP under repair or test.
> >
> > What I'm refering to is getting downloaded files in slices,
> > eg using Wget, a piece of the file downloads for 22 sec , then stops;
> > Wget tries again & another 22 sec piece comes down the pipe, then
> > stops. This can go on for hours with a big file
> > & doesn't seem related to the local time of day.
> > My guess is that the server has been programmed to stop after 22 sec
> > in an effort to share access among many clients,
> > but it is irritating & also suggests the server needs faster hardware.
> >
> > Have others noticed this -- it seems to be a recent innovation --
> > & is it a known ploy of server managers ?
>
> Are you using traffic shaping like a "police filter", or is there
> shaping somewhere in the path? - most of the linux shaping methods work
> on a burst principle that produces a given throughput by gating the
> traffic for an average throughput. I have seen the effect you mention
> with block transfer protocols (ftp) and wget when trying to use its
> built in bandwidth regulation which works similarly to when traffic
> shaping is in effect. There seems to be an interaction between the two
> instances of regulating the traffic to create an effect like you have
> seen. This also affects other traffic trying to use the link at the
> same time as the available bandwidth gets very "choppy".
>
> I have less experience with other than linux based shaping methods such
> as Cisco QoS methods but have not seen the same effect there.

Now that I understood what Philip was describing I have not seen anything like
that (yet). When there is throttling at the server it just shaves off
anything above a certain transmission rate. So a bar chart that would
otherwise show a variable bar height as the client-server try to negotiate
maximum throughout up to the ADSL max capacity, is now cropped at a lower than
max throughput. There is no starting and stopping.

If there is contention on the line then there will be some throughput
variability, but not really stopping completely and then restarting. Unless
perhaps the contention is so abysmal or the server/ISP are under some DDoS
attack?

Mick

Old 07-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Philip Webb

Recently, I asked on the list whether anyone had seen this phenomenon :

> What I'm refering to is getting downloaded files in slices,
> eg using Wget, a piece of the file downloads for 22 sec , then stops;
> Wget tries again & another 22 sec piece comes down the pipe, then
> stops. This can go on for hours with a big file
> & doesn't seem related to the local time of day.
> My guess is that the server has been programmed to stop after 22 sec
> in an effort to share access among many clients,
> but it is irritating & also suggests the server needs faster hardware.
> Have others noticed this -- it seems to be a recent innovation --
> & is it a known ploy of server managers ?

> NB This is not the same as traffic jams.
> That sometimes happens here & may persist for 1 - 2 weeks ,
> but it feels just like driving on the highway when 1 lane is closed.
> That probably is some piece of the Internet or ISP under repair or test.

I now have an explicit example of a server doing this :

503: hold> wget --no-check-certificate -c http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
--2012-07-01 15:07:18-- http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
Resolving www.math.wisc.edu... 144.92.166.196
Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf [following]
--2012-07-01 15:07:18-- https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:443... connected.
WARNING: The certificate of `www.math.wisc.edu' is not trusted.
WARNING: The certificate of `www.math.wisc.edu' hasn't got a known issuer.
Length: 24184097 (23M) [application/pdf]
Saving to: `keislercalc-2-12.pdf'

6% [==========> ] 1,638,400 64.5K/s eta 38m 5s

NB the word 'throttle' in the 2nd URL. It has just completed
a 2nd slice downloading 3 % of the file each time.
Yesterday when I tried, it refused to honor the '-c' flag,
which made downloading impossible, but today it seems to be honoring it.

BTW the Internet is ordinarily responsive at the moment here.

Has anyone else come across this ? Any thoughts or comments ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Jarry

[...]

Everything OK here:

obelix ~ # wget --no-check-certificate -c
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
--2012-07-01 19:35:14--
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf

Resolving www.math.wisc.edu... 144.92.166.196
Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location:
https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
[following]
--2012-07-01 19:35:14--
https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf

Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:443... connected.
Length: 24184097 (23M) [application/pdf]
Saving to: `keislercalc-2-12.pdf'

100%[======================================>] 24,184,097 6.88M/s in 4.4s

2012-07-01 19:35:19 (5.25 MB/s) - `keislercalc-2-12.pdf' saved
[24184097/24184097]

Jarry

Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 21:34:23 +0200
Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01-Jul-12 21:20, Philip Webb wrote:
>
> > I now have an explicit example of a server doing this :
> >
> > 503: hold> wget --no-check-certificate -c
> > http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf --2012-07-01
> > 15:07:18-- http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
> > Resolving www.math.wisc.edu... 144.92.166.196 Connecting to
> > www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:80... connected. HTTP request
> > sent, awaiting response... 302 Found Location:
> > https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
> > [following] --2012-07-01 15:07:18--
> > https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
> > Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:443... connected.
> > WARNING: The certificate of `www.math.wisc.edu' is not trusted.
> > WARNING: The certificate of `www.math.wisc.edu' hasn't got a known
> > issuer. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length:
> > 24184097 (23M) [application/pdf] Saving to: `keislercalc-2-12.pdf'
> >
> > 6% [==========> ] 1,638,400 64.5K/s eta 38m
> > 5s
> >

> Everything OK here:
>
> obelix ~ # wget --no-check-certificate -c
> http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
> --2012-07-01 19:35:14--
> http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
> Resolving www.math.wisc.edu... 144.92.166.196
> Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
> Location:
> https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
> [following]
> --2012-07-01 19:35:14--
> https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
> Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:443... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> Length: 24184097 (23M) [application/pdf]
> Saving to: `keislercalc-2-12.pdf'
>
> 100%[======================================>] 24,184,097 6.88M/s
> in 4.4s
>
> 2012-07-01 19:35:19 (5.25 MB/s) - `keislercalc-2-12.pdf' saved
> [24184097/24184097]
>
> Jarry

Same for me, download is OK

Maybe Philip has downloaded too much stuff from that site, and hit a
trigger amount that puts him in the category of special users. I have
no idea what wisc.edu's policy is in this regard so can't comment, it's
just an idea

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Mick

On Sunday 01 Jul 2012 20:34:23 Jarry wrote:
> On 01-Jul-12 21:20, Philip Webb wrote:
> > I now have an explicit example of a server doing this :
> > 503: hold> wget --no-check-certificate -c
> > http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf --2012-07-01
> > 15:07:18-- http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
> > Resolving www.math.wisc.edu... 144.92.166.196
> > Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:80... connected.
> > HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
> > Location:
> > https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keisler
> > calc-2-12.pdf [following] --2012-07-01 15:07:18--
> > https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keisler
> > calc-2-12.pdf Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:443...
> > connected. WARNING: The certificate of `www.math.wisc.edu' is not
> > trusted. WARNING: The certificate of `www.math.wisc.edu' hasn't got a
> > known issuer. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> > Length: 24184097 (23M) [application/pdf]
> > Saving to: `keislercalc-2-12.pdf'
> >
> > 6% [==========> ] 1,638,400 64.5K/s eta 38m 5s
>
> Everything OK here:
>
> obelix ~ # wget --no-check-certificate -c
> http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
> --2012-07-01 19:35:14--
> http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
> Resolving www.math.wisc.edu... 144.92.166.196
> Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
> Location:
> https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2
> -12.pdf [following]
> --2012-07-01 19:35:14--
> https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2
> -12.pdf Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:443... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> Length: 24184097 (23M) [application/pdf]
> Saving to: `keislercalc-2-12.pdf'
>
> 100%[======================================>] 24,184,097 6.88M/s in 4.4s
>
> 2012-07-01 19:35:19 (5.25 MB/s) - `keislercalc-2-12.pdf' saved
> [24184097/24184097]
>
> Jarry

Everything OK here too maxing out my ADSL connection (I'm envious of Jarry's
fibre! )

$ wget --no-check-certificate -c
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
--2012-07-01 20:54:06--
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
Resolving www.math.wisc.edu... 144.92.166.196
Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location:
https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
[following]
--2012-07-01 20:54:07--
https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:443... connected.
Length: 24184097 (23M) [application/pdf]
Saving to: `keislercalc-2-12.pdf'

100%[======================================>] 24,184,097 821K/s in 38s

2012-07-01 20:54:46 (619 KB/s) - `keislercalc-2-12.pdf' saved
[24184097/24184097]

This pretty good given that I am connecting all the way from ol' Blighty and
there is some latency and potentially dropped packets:

# mtr -c 3 -s 955 -u -l -r wisc.edu
HOST: dell_xps Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev
1.|-- router 0.0% 3 4.0 3.9 3.9 4.0 0.0
2.|-- b.gormless.thn.aa.net.uk 0.0% 3 43.5 44.9 43.5 46.1 1.3
3.|-- a.aimless.thn.aa.net.uk 0.0% 3 45.6 45.0 43.1 46.3 1.7
4.|-- 10gigabitethernet1-1.core 0.0% 3 47.7 58.2 45.1 81.9 20.5
5.|-- 10gigabitethernet7-4.core 0.0% 3 112.5 112.9 112.5 113.7 0.7
6.|-- 10gigabitethernet8-3.core 0.0% 3 131.9 136.3 131.9 139.8 4.0
7.|-- ??? 100.0 3 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
8.|-- r-uwmadison-isp-xe-8-0-1- 0.0% 3 165.7 166.8 161.1 173.6 6.3
| `|-- 140.189.8.1
9.|-- r-peer-xe-1-1-0-945.net.w 0.0% 3 160.0 161.0 160.0 161.9 1.0
10.|-- r-cssc-b280c-9-core-vlan- 0.0% 3 161.9 160.4 159.5 161.9 1.3
| `|-- 146.151.167.85
11.|-- r-csscplat-b380-1-node-vl 0.0% 3 159.9 160.4 159.6 161.7 1.2
12.|-- ??? 100.0 3 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

If as I recall you said this happens at all times and it is not related to
Internet congestion, then all I can suggest is to try using a different ISP's
network and see if you are getting similar problems.

Mick

Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Michael Mol

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> 4.|-- 10gigabitethernet1-1.core 0.0% 3 47.7 58.2 45.1 81.9 20.5
> 5.|-- 10gigabitethernet7-4.core 0.0% 3 112.5 112.9 112.5 113.7 0.7
> 6.|-- 10gigabitethernet8-3.core 0.0% 3 131.9 136.3 131.9 139.8 4.0
> 7.|-- ??? 100.0 3 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
> 8.|-- r-uwmadison-isp-xe-8-0-1- 0.0% 3 165.7 166.8 161.1 173.6 6.3
> | `|-- 140.189.8.1
> 9.|-- r-peer-xe-1-1-0-945.net.w 0.0% 3 160.0 161.0 160.0 161.9 1.0
> 10.|-- r-cssc-b280c-9-core-vlan- 0.0% 3 161.9 160.4 159.5 161.9 1.3
> | `|-- 146.151.167.85
> 11.|-- r-csscplat-b380-1-node-vl 0.0% 3 159.9 160.4 159.6 161.7 1.2
> 12.|-- ??? 100.0 3 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
>

> If as I recall you said this happens at all times and it is not related to
> Internet congestion, then all I can suggest is to try using a different ISP's
> network and see if you are getting similar problems.

It could be a connection duration limit. Either the web server or an
intermediate proxy server may place a limit on how long a connection
may be open. If you have a low-bandwidth pipe, you'd be more
vulnerable to hitting that limit than someone with a high-bandwidth
pipe.

Possible sources off the top of my head: PHP scripts' script time
limits. squid connection time limits.

Try launching two simultaneous wget processes, and see if they both
fail out around the same time.

--
:wq