-   -   Should I re-emerge after switching to new gcc profile? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/675479-should-i-re-emerge-after-switching-new-gcc-profile.html)

Ezequiel Garcia 06-21-2012 03:40 PM

Should I re-emerge after switching to new gcc profile?

Hi folks,

I had rough times upgrading my gcc. Finally, I did this:

1. Upgrade gcc in a chroot
2. Use quickpkg gcc to create binary package (inside chroot)
3. Use emerge -K to install the created package

I read it here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-782003-start-0.html.

I must say WOW, gentoo continues to amaze me.

Now, the question is:
Do I need to re-emerge something due to having new gcc?
I'm pretty sure not, but just wanted to ask.

(Sorry for being so slow: I learn Basic as my first language
and Dijkstra says I'm mentally mutilated [1])

Thanks,
Ezequiel.

[1] http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/ewd498.html

Michael Mol 06-21-2012 03:47 PM

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I had rough times upgrading my gcc. Finally, I did this:
>
> 1. Upgrade gcc in a chroot
> 2. Use quickpkg gcc to create binary package (inside chroot)
> 3. Use emerge -K *to install the created package
>
> I read it here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-782003-start-0.html.
>
> I must say WOW, gentoo continues to amaze me.
>
> Now, the question is:
> Do I need to re-emerge something due to having new gcc?
> I'm pretty sure not, but just wanted to ask.

I don't think most people will agree with me, but I get away with this
because I've got CPU cycles to spare: When in doubt, "emerge -e
@world".

--
:wq

Paul Hartman 06-21-2012 03:51 PM

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I had rough times upgrading my gcc. Finally, I did this:
>
> 1. Upgrade gcc in a chroot
> 2. Use quickpkg gcc to create binary package (inside chroot)
> 3. Use emerge -K *to install the created package
>
> I read it here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-782003-start-0.html.
>
> I must say WOW, gentoo continues to amaze me.
>
> Now, the question is:
> Do I need to re-emerge something due to having new gcc?
> I'm pretty sure not, but just wanted to ask.
>
> (Sorry for being so slow: I learn Basic as my first language
> and Dijkstra says I'm mentally mutilated [1])
>
> Thanks,
> Ezequiel.
>
> [1] http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/ewd498.html

Hi,

After upgrading GCC this is what I do:

Use gcc-config to set new version active
source /etc/profile
emerge --oneshot libtool

Usually that's all that is required.

Ezequiel Garcia 06-21-2012 05:15 PM

Should I re-emerge after switching to new gcc profile?

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I had rough times upgrading my gcc. Finally, I did this:
>>
>> 1. Upgrade gcc in a chroot
>> 2. Use quickpkg gcc to create binary package (inside chroot)
>> 3. Use emerge -K *to install the created package
>>
>> I read it here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-782003-start-0.html.
>>
>> I must say WOW, gentoo continues to amaze me.
>>
>> Now, the question is:
>> Do I need to re-emerge something due to having new gcc?
>> I'm pretty sure not, but just wanted to ask.
>>
>> (Sorry for being so slow: I learn Basic as my first language
>> and Dijkstra says I'm mentally mutilated [1])
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ezequiel.
>>
>> [1] http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/ewd498.html
>>

> Hi,
>
> After upgrading GCC this is what I do:
>
> Use gcc-config to set new version active
> source /etc/profile
> emerge --oneshot libtool
>
> Usually that's all that is required.

I'll do that, thank you.

One more thing: after upgrading gcc to 4.7.0, I had to upgrade dev-libs/gmp.
I'm still working on it, though.

Hope this is usefule to someone,
Ezequiel.

walt 06-21-2012 07:44 PM

On 06/21/2012 08:40 AM, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:
> Now, the question is:
> Do I need to re-emerge something due to having new gcc?
> I'm pretty sure not, but just wanted to ask.

Technically, you should re-emerge c++ apps because you are
now using a newer version of libstc++. IRL I suspect that
nobody bothers to do that, but it's nice to know in case
something c++ starts misbehaving right after updating gcc.

Technically you should re-emerge glibc after updating the
linux kernel headers, too, but I doubt many people bother.

Helmut Jarausch 06-22-2012 08:33 AM

On 06/21/2012 09:44:28 PM, walt wrote:

On 06/21/2012 08:40 AM, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:
> Now, the question is:
> Do I need to re-emerge something due to having new gcc?
> I'm pretty sure not, but just wanted to ask.

Technically, you should re-emerge c++ apps because you are
now using a newer version of libstc++. IRL I suspect that
nobody bothers to do that, but it's nice to know in case
something c++ starts misbehaving right after updating gcc.

I have never had any problems with C++ applications.
What definitely doesn't work, is to compile a C++ application
with a newer compiler and try to run it on an old system, i.e. a system
where the newer libstdc++ is not installed.

Helmut.