Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Philip Webb

Default Nvidia-drivers + kernel 3.4

120615 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> 2012/6/15 Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net>
>> after installing Kernel 3.4 , Nvidia-drivers 295.49 wouldn't compile.
> I can see that 295.53 and 295.59 are available. Use 295.59.

I've updated to the latest testing 302.17 & it's working ok so far.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 05:29:13AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote

> I've updated to the latest testing 302.17 & it's working ok so far.

<AOL> Me too </AOL>. Thanks for starting the thread, and giving the
answer. I ran an update last night, and X wouldn't restart today. I
remembered the thread, keyworded 302.17, and am back up and running.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 06-20-2012, 02:04 PM
walt

On 06/18/2012 02:29 AM, Philip Webb wrote:
> 120615 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> 2012/6/15 Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net>
>>> after installing Kernel 3.4 , Nvidia-drivers 295.49 wouldn't compile.
>> I can see that 295.53 and 295.59 are available. Use 295.59.
>
> I've updated to the latest testing 302.17 & it's working ok so far.

I just did the same update. I thought at first everything was okay,
then I ran glxgears, which runs at 1/5 normal speed. Going back to
295.59 fixed it. Very puzzling, since there was nothing unusual in
Xorg.0.log.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:47 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 07:04:13AM -0700, walt wrote

> I just did the same update. I thought at first everything was okay,
> then I ran glxgears, which runs at 1/5 normal speed. Going back to
> 295.59 fixed it. Very puzzling, since there was nothing unusual in
> Xorg.0.log.

What does glxgears prove anyways? With 295.59 I get 5300 fps, and
302.17 gives me 3 spf (yes... seconds per frame!!!). But Youtube, etc
seems to function the same. So I'm wondering about the point of
glxgears.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 06-21-2012, 03:28 AM
Joćo Matos

glxgears is not a benchmark. http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Glxgears_is_not_a_Benchmark

*I've heard that this http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/?k=downloads is a good option, but I still didn't have time to try it.

2012/6/20 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 07:04:13AM -0700, walt wrote

> I just did the same update. *I thought at first everything was okay,

> then I ran glxgears, which runs at 1/5 normal speed. *Going back to

> 295.59 fixed it. *Very puzzling, since there was nothing unusual in

> Xorg.0.log.

*What does glxgears prove anyways? *With 295.59 I get 5300 fps, and

302.17 gives me 3 spf (yes... seconds per frame!!!). *But Youtube, etc

seems to function the same. *So I'm wondering about the point of

glxgears.

--

Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

--
Joćo de Matos
Linux User #461527

Old 06-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Daniel Troeder

On 18.06.2012 11:29, Philip Webb wrote:
> I've updated to the latest testing 302.17 & it's working ok so far.
Just wanted to let you know, that there is a bug that affects lots of
people with 302.xx: X-console-switch and resume-from-suspend are broken.

I have to revert back to 295.xx for my notebook to suspend again

Greetings,
Daniel

Old 06-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:47:08 -0400
"Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 07:04:13AM -0700, walt wrote
>
> > I just did the same update. I thought at first everything was okay,
> > then I ran glxgears, which runs at 1/5 normal speed. Going back to
> > 295.59 fixed it. Very puzzling, since there was nothing unusual in
> > Xorg.0.log.
>
> What does glxgears prove anyways? With 295.59 I get 5300 fps, and
> 302.17 gives me 3 spf (yes... seconds per frame!!!). But Youtube, etc
> seems to function the same. So I'm wondering about the point of
> glxgears.

glx gears shows you that stuff works or not.

So it's a quick go-no go test, just not useful for measuring anything.
It's designed for the scenario where you want to judge relatively how
well things are working today video-wise. Now, you could run a 3D
rendering app, or play a video, or something like that and see how it
performs compared to the same thing yesterday. But those apps all do
many other things as well as drive the video card so you don't really
know what is influencing the mix.

With glxgears, all it does is drive the video and draw spinning gears,
nothing else. So if version X-1 yesterday worked fine and the video was
smooth, but version X today plays very jerkily, and nothing else
changed, then you know your system does not like version X.

It's a perfectly valid test, just don't trust the numbers - trust what
your eyes tell you.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Philip Webb

120621 Daniel Troeder wrote:
> On 18.06.2012 11:29, Philip Webb wrote:
>> I've updated to the latest testing 302.17 & it's working ok so far.
> that there is a bug that affects lots of people with 302.xx:
> X-console-switch and resume-from-suspend are broken.
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=179956
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=179891
> I have to revert back to 295.xx for my notebook to suspend again

I don't suspend on my machines: Nvidia is running on my desktop PC.

Commenting on the other msgs re Glxgears, (1) which pkg is it in ?
(2) there's a Gears screen in Xscreensaver, which I've seen today & is ok ;
(3) I managed to get a bit of video to run using Flash today.

I do have a problem that occasionally an image on Firefox overflows
& this then infects all the other desktop displays:
it is cured by killing FF & re-opening it.
That seems, however, to be due to Firefox 13 or possibly Flash,
not to Nvidia, which I've only just updated.

Thanks to both.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Hartmut Figge

Philip Webb:

>Commenting on the other msgs re Glxgears, (1) which pkg is it in ?

hafi@i5_64 ~ $ equery b glxgears
* Searching for glxgears ...
x11-apps/mesa-progs-8.0.1 (/usr/bin/glxgears)

Hartmut
--
Usenet-ABC-Wiki http://www.usenet-abc.de/wiki/
Von Usern fuer User :-)