Old 06-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Peter Humphrey

Default Nvidia-drivers + kernel 3.4

On Thursday 21 June 2012 04:28:35 Joćo Matos wrote:

> I've heard that this http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/?k=downloads
> is a good option

Portage includes app-benchmarks/phoronix-test-suite but it's keyworded.
On this box 21 other packages need installing first, including PHP, MySQL
and Apache. Perhaps I'll do it anyway just for fun.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 06-21-2012, 07:47 PM
walt

On 06/20/2012 07:46 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 20/06/12 17:04, walt wrote:
>>>
>>> I've updated to the latest testing 302.17 & it's working ok so far.
>>
>> I just did the same update. I thought at first everything was okay,
>> then I ran glxgears, which runs at 1/5 normal speed. Going back to
>> 295.59 fixed it. Very puzzling, since there was nothing unusual in
>> Xorg.0.log.
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176815

Would you mind translating that bulletin into Greek so I can
understand it?

Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 05:49:39AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote

> I don't suspend on my machines: Nvidia is running on my desktop PC.

I live in a condo building, with a separate electric meter for each
suite. I'm conserving a valuable resource, i.e. my bank account <G>, by
shutting down the machine overnight, etc. I noticed a problem with
suspend, but I didn't realize the connection with Nvidia 302.17.

> I do have a problem that occasionally an image on Firefox overflows
> & this then infects all the other desktop displays: it is cured by
> killing FF & re-opening it. That seems, however, to be due to Firefox
> 13 or possibly Flash, not to Nvidia, which I've only just updated.

It seems to be a problem with Nvidia+Flash. E.g. start a Youtube
Flash video in FF. Then drag an xterm over the FF window. You've seen
the images where xterms have a background image? Well this goes one
step further... there's actually a live video image playing under the
text. Somewhat distracting, to say the least.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 PM
walt

after installing Kernel 3.4 , Nvidia-drivers 295.49 wouldn't compile.

I can see that 295.53 and 295.59 are available. Use 295.59.

I've updated to the latest testing 302.17 & it's working ok so far.

I just did the same update. I thought at first everything was okay,
then I ran glxgears, which runs at 1/5 normal speed. Going back to
295.59 fixed it. Very puzzling, since there was nothing unusual in
Xorg.0.log.

Would you mind translating that bulletin into Greek so I can
understand it?

Aha. I re-emerged nvidia-drivers-302.17 and the lightbulb lit up:

$glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.292 FPS

Sure enough, my monitor's vertical refresh rate is 60Hz. I guess the
logic is that the video card needn't render more frames than the monitor
can display each second?

Old 06-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

[...]

Yes. You can set this stuff up in the nvidia-settings control panel.
Unfortunately, the Gentoo nvidia-drivers ebuild isn't the best, and it
doesn't install a start-up launch script for nvidia-settings (like
Ubuntu and other distros do.) So when you change settings, you need to
manually run nvidia-settings to restore them again after every login.

I solved this problem by creating an executable file:

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/95-nvidia-settings

with the following contents:

#!/bin/sh
[ -x /opt/bin/nvidia-settings ] &&
/opt/bin/nvidia-settings --load-config-only > /dev/null 2>&1

This restores the settings automatically on every X11 login. Ah well,
welcome to Gentoo :-P