Old 06-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Paul Hartman

Default Getting around ancient SATA disk size limitations

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM, <felix@crowfix.com> wrote:
> I bought a USB 3.0 disk enclosure and the system refused to even acknowledge its presence. *USB 3.0 may be advertised as backwards compatible, but not on my system.

Is the drive powered by USB, or an external power supply? USB3
supplies more power than USB2 was capable of, so if a USB3 device does
not have an external power supply it probably won't be backwards
compatible.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:05 PM

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:49:48AM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> A thought...if the system is old enough that it only has PCI and PCI-X
> (as opposed to PCIe), then it's definitely not going to have USB3.
>
> Perhaps putting attaching the USB3 enclosure to the system by way of a
> USB2 hub might work?

No USB 3 on the motherboard. I tried a USB 3 enclosure but got zero
response from Linux when plugging it in. Didn't even show up in
/var/log/messages.

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Old 06-19-2012, 04:07 PM

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:43:41AM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM, <felix@crowfix.com> wrote:
> > I bought a USB 3.0 disk enclosure and the system refused to even acknowledge its presence. ?USB 3.0 may be advertised as backwards compatible, but not on my system.
>
> Is the drive powered by USB, or an external power supply? USB3
> supplies more power than USB2 was capable of, so if a USB3 device does
> not have an external power supply it probably won't be backwards
> compatible.

Good question -- if it had a power supply, I would have used it, but I
don't remember now if it did. Doubt I would have given it a second
thought if it had no external power supply.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM, <felix@crowfix.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:49:48AM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
>> A thought...if the system is old enough that it only has PCI and PCI-X
>> (as opposed to PCIe), then it's definitely not going to have USB3.
>>
>> Perhaps putting attaching the USB3 enclosure to the system by way of a
>> USB2 hub might work?
>
> No USB 3 on the motherboard. *I tried a USB 3 enclosure but got zero
> response from Linux when plugging it in. *Didn't even show up in
> /var/log/messages.

I saw that. My thought is that the the USB3 enclosure might interact
better with the hardware on the USB2 hub than directly with the
hardware on the motherboard.

--
:wq

Old 06-20-2012, 07:25 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Tue, June 19, 2012 4:02 pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:

>> > That's implicit in the wedding vows
>>
>> That can be solved by making sure she has a decent paying job herself
>
> That worked for you??? :-O

Actually, it did

Might help that my wife also works in IT...

--
Joost