Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 PM
walt

Default Getting around ancient SATA disk size limitations

On 06/18/2012 07:28 AM, felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 06:59:13AM -0700, walt wrote:
>> On 06/17/2012 11:16 PM, felix@crowfix.com wrote:
>>> I bought a USB 3.0 disk enclosure and the system refused to even
>>> acknowledge its presence.
>>
>> By 'system' do you mean the BIOS, or the kernel driver?
>
> I plugged them into the USB after boot, so it's the kernel. I didn't
> try booting with them.

I have an outboard usb3 docking station that needs the xhci driver.
Do you have that driver enabled? Maybe one of the many rescue/install
CD's will recognize the drive/enclosure combination?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:00 AM

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 04:46:15PM -0700, walt wrote:
> On 06/18/2012 07:28 AM, felix@crowfix.com wrote:
> >>
> >> By 'system' do you mean the BIOS, or the kernel driver?
> >
> > I plugged them into the USB after boot, so it's the kernel. I didn't
> > try booting with them.
> >

> I have an outboard usb3 docking station that needs the xhci driver.
> Do you have that driver enabled? Maybe one of the many rescue/install
> CD's will recognize the drive/enclosure combination?

Compiled as a module, and not loaded. Hadn't thought of that. I'll
try it when I get back there.

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Old 06-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Jun 19, 2012 6:45 AM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:24:58 -0400

> Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> [snip]

> > Felix, did you follow any

> > analogous steps for the 4TB drives?

> > (Cripes, that's a lot of data. One drive, bigger than any of my

> > aggregate volumes.)

> Completely OT but what the heck: :-)

> I built a 12TB FreeNAS Storage box for the home and dared the wife to

> fill it with content. For purposes of illustration I told her that this

> was an awful lot of data - 1357 raw DVD movie rips for example.

> "Go for it honey!" I said thinking the myself "She will NEVER fill that,

> or even come close!"

> The joke's on me. After 6 weeks, she's halfway there *^_^

Lucky you didn't challenge her to max out your Platinum credit card ;-)

Rgds,

Old 06-19-2012, 02:54 AM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:24:58 -0400
> Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Felix, did you follow any
>> analogous steps for the 4TB drives?
>>
>> (Cripes, that's a lot of data. One drive, bigger than any of my
>> aggregate volumes.)
>
> Completely OT but what the heck: :-)
>
> I built a 12TB FreeNAS Storage box for the home and dared the wife to
> fill it with content. For purposes of illustration I told her that this
> was an awful lot of data - 1357 raw DVD movie rips for example.
>
> "Go for it honey!" I said thinking the myself "She will NEVER fill that,
> or even come close!"
>
> The joke's on me. After 6 weeks, she's halfway there ^_^

Well, I got a 750Gb drive and it is full. Good thing I use LVM. I had
to add a 250Gb drive and it's filling up too. I'm still trying to get
to where I can afford a 3Tb. Maybe that will take me a while to fill
up. o_O

If I had a really fast DSL or a cable connection, oh boy. It wouldn't
last long.

Dale

:-) :-)

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:30:33 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> Lucky you didn't challenge her to max out your Platinum credit card ;-)

That's implicit in the wedding vows

--
Neil Bothwick

A. Top posters.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Tue, June 19, 2012 12:06 pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:30:33 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
>
>> Lucky you didn't challenge her to max out your Platinum credit card ;-)
>
> That's implicit in the wedding vows

That can be solved by making sure she has a decent paying job herself

--
Joost

Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Tue, June 19, 2012 1:37 am, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:24:58 -0400
> Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Felix, did you follow any
>> analogous steps for the 4TB drives?
>>
>> (Cripes, that's a lot of data. One drive, bigger than any of my
>> aggregate volumes.)
>

> Completely OT but what the heck: :-)
>
> I built a 12TB FreeNAS Storage box for the home and dared the wife to
> fill it with content. For purposes of illustration I told her that this
> was an awful lot of data - 1357 raw DVD movie rips for example.
>
> "Go for it honey!" I said thinking the myself "She will NEVER fill that,
> or even come close!"
>
> The joke's on me. After 6 weeks, she's halfway there ^_^

Are you sure those are all unique files?
Not multiple versions of the same movie?

I've got a decent sized storage box as well. When building it, I already
planned ahead to allow additional disks to be easily added.
Now I need to change the layout at home, as she finds the server too noisy

--
Joost

Old 06-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:54:26 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:

> >> Lucky you didn't challenge her to max out your Platinum credit
> >> card ;-)
> >
> > That's implicit in the wedding vows
>
> That can be solved by making sure she has a decent paying job herself

That worked for you??? :-O

--
Neil Bothwick

Access denied--nah nah na nah nah!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Stroller

On 18 June 2012, at 15:39, felix@crowfix.com wrote:
>> It does bring to mind a question...when I went to put SATAII drives in
>> a SATA box, I needed to flip a jumper on the drive so that it would
>> operate at 1.5Gb/s instead of 3Gb/s. Felix, did you follow any
>> analogous steps for the 4TB drives?
>
> I don't remember seeing any jumpers at all. I'll take another look when I get back there.

With some drives this is done in software / firmware.

I think you mentioned these drives are Hitachi - previous models of their drives were set using their "Hard-drive Feature Tool" bootable CD (e.g. ftool_215.iso). This now appears to be obsolete, but they may offer a newer alternative.

From experience, if the motherboard / SATA controller is old enough you will *definitely* have to set the drives to 1.5Gb/s.

Stroller.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 18 June 2012, at 15:39, felix@crowfix.com wrote:
>>> It does bring to mind a question...when I went to put SATAII drives in
>>> a SATA box, I needed to flip a jumper on the drive so that it would
>>> operate at 1.5Gb/s instead of 3Gb/s. Felix, did you follow any
>>> analogous steps for the 4TB drives?
>>
>> I don't remember seeing any jumpers at all. *I'll take another look when I get back there.
>
> With some drives this is done in software / firmware.
>
> I think you mentioned these drives are Hitachi - previous models of their drives were set using their "Hard-drive Feature Tool" bootable CD (e.g. ftool_215.iso). This now appears to be obsolete, but they may offer a newer alternative.
>
> From experience, if the motherboard / SATA controller is old enough you will *definitely* have to set the drives to 1.5Gb/s.

A thought...if the system is old enough that it only has PCI and PCI-X
(as opposed to PCIe), then it's definitely not going to have USB3.

Perhaps putting attaching the USB3 enclosure to the system by way of a
USB2 hub might work?

Otherwise, the firmware adjustment might be the way to go. (Or a
motherboard upgrade...)

--
:wq