Old 06-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

Default Alternatives to the gnome-system-monitor panel applet?

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> (I considered posting this into the Linus-bashing-gnome3 thread, then
> I decided against it
>
> There are tons of stuff in gnome(any version) that I don't need, but
> for many years I've stuck with gnome for one, maybe silly, reason.
>
> The gnome-system-monitor applet displays graphs of processor use,
> memory use, network load, disk activity, and swap usage in one tiny
> panel applet about 5cm wide and 1cm high.
>
> The important thing to me is that the graphs display the values of
> all of those things over last 60 seconds or so. *And the graphs are
> never hidden behind other windows because the panel is always visible.
>
> Over the years I've caught $LARGE_NUMBER of bugs that show up as
> inappropriate cpu load or excessive memory use or network traffic
> or hard-disk activity.
>
> Yes, that's my own fault because I choose to live on the bleeding
> edge *I get pain and pleasure at the same time -- but I don't
> need to explain that to this group
>
> I'd probably be using xfce if not for that one panel applet.
>
> Any suggestions?

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/120/system-monitor/

Pretty similar to the GNOME 2 version. Or

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/9/systemmonitor/

If you want it a little large and visible when pressing the windows key.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 06-18-2012, 07:21 AM
Keith Dart

Re , walt said:
> Any suggestions?

I use gkrellm. It also has a number of plugins and can launch
applications.

emerge app-admin/gkrellm
emerge x11-themes/gkrellm-themes
emerge x11-plugins/gkrellm-cpufreq