-   -   OT: 'Best' Desktop Environment (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/673741-ot-best-desktop-environment.html)

Pandu Poluan 06-17-2012 02:34 PM

On Jun 17, 2012 4:42 PM, "Pandu Poluan" <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> So, while we're meta-discussing Linus' rant on Gnome3, here's an article from TechRadar exploring the usability of the leading Linux desktop environments.

> http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/whats-the-best-linux-desktop-environment-1045280*

Here's the mobile version of the above:

http://m.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/whats-the-best-linux-desktop-environment-1045280

Rgds,

Canek Peláez Valdés 06-17-2012 04:52 PM

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> So, while we're meta-discussing Linus' rant on Gnome3, here's an article
> from TechRadar exploring the usability of the leading Linux desktop
> environments.
>
> http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/whats-the-best-linux-desktop-environment-1045280

In my humble opinion, you should use whatever you actually like. You
don't like GNOME? Then don't use it; and if you used it before and
don't like the new version, either get involver to get it "fixed" (for
whatever defintion of "fixed" you want), fork it (although maybe you
should first try Unity, MATE, or Cinnamon before), or go to another
desktop.

I like GNOME 3, therefore I use it. I like systemd, therefore I use
it. I like Emacs, therefore I use it. If someone else wants to use
KDE, OpenRC, and Vim, it's none of my business. To each his own.

There is no "best" desktop environment. There are only preferences.

I like GNOME 3 a lot, and (in my personal case) it has helped me to
actually improve my productivity in my what I do; other users may
experience the opposite, even if they do exactly the same things I do.
Other users maybe do something completely different, and they may also
benefit from GNOME 3.

Really, use whatever floats your boat. And if you don't like a
particular software (or developer, or design), then simply don't use
it.

I really, really, *really* don't like KDE. I have never done (and I
tried versions 1, 2, and 3; I lost interest in trying for version 4);
but I have *never* told anyone that they should not use it, nor
criticized their users and developers. It's none of my business; I
don't like it, therefore I don't use it.

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho
ajeno es la paz. Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the
rights of others is peace.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Keith Dart 06-17-2012 05:57 PM

OT: 'Best' Desktop Environment

Re
CAA2qdGUzjvpsZ6bB7oTHTKDo+HFC95Ma+PraEZOQzVtED5ESf w@mail.gmail.comCAA2qdGUzjvpsZ6bB7oTHTKDo+HFC95Ma+ PraEZOQzVtED5ESfw@mail.gmail.com,
Canek Peláez Valdés said:
> Really, use whatever floats your boat. And if you don't like a
> particular software (or developer, or design), then simply don't use
> it.

That's the really nice thing about the Linux platform. You have
choices. But it seems to be human nature that as soon as you have
choices people will argue over what's "best".

But I like choices. This is also why I use Gentoo Linux. :-)

BTW, I recently eradicated Gnome from my systems. I'm strictly XFCE
now. I'm happy and thankful to the xfce developers to have that choice.

-- Keith

--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz>

Volker Armin Hemmann 06-17-2012 05:58 PM

Am Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012, 11:52:48 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> > So, while we're meta-discussing Linus' rant on Gnome3, here's an article
> > from TechRadar exploring the usability of the leading Linux desktop
> > environments.
> >
> > http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/whats-the-best-li
> > nux-desktop-environment-1045280

> In my humble opinion, you should use whatever you actually like. You
> don't like GNOME? Then don't use it; and if you used it before and
> don't like the new version, either get involver to get it "fixed" (for
> whatever defintion of "fixed" you want), fork it (although maybe you
> should first try Unity, MATE, or Cinnamon before), or go to another
> desktop.
>
> I like GNOME 3, therefore I use it. I like systemd, therefore I use
> it. I like Emacs, therefore I use it. If someone else wants to use
> KDE, OpenRC, and Vim, it's none of my business. To each his own.

one question - how can you call something that doesn't even let you change the
fonts call a 'desktop environment'?

--
#163933

Alecks Gates 06-17-2012 06:09 PM

OT: 'Best' Desktop Environment

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012, 11:52:48 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
>> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
>> > So, while we're meta-discussing Linus' rant on Gnome3, here's an article
>> > from TechRadar exploring the usability of the leading Linux desktop
>> > environments.
>> >
>> > http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/whats-the-best-li
>> > nux-desktop-environment-1045280

>> In my humble opinion, you should use whatever you actually like. You
>> don't like GNOME? Then don't use it; and if you used it before and
>> don't like the new version, either get involver to get it "fixed" (for
>> whatever defintion of "fixed" you want), fork it (although maybe you
>> should first try Unity, MATE, or Cinnamon before), or go to another
>> desktop.
>>
>> I like GNOME 3, therefore I use it. I like systemd, therefore I use
>> it. I like Emacs, therefore I use it. If someone else wants to use
>> KDE, OpenRC, and Vim, it's none of my business. To each his own.
>
> one question - how can you call something that doesn't even let you change the
> fonts call a 'desktop environment'?
>
> --
> #163933

Ignoring the fact that I *can* change the font, why should I have to?
It's fine as it is for me ;).

Canek Peláez Valdés 06-17-2012 07:18 PM

OT: 'Best' Desktop Environment

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012, 11:52:48 schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
>> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
>> > So, while we're meta-discussing Linus' rant on Gnome3, here's an article
>> > from TechRadar exploring the usability of the leading Linux desktop
>> > environments.
>> >
>> > http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/whats-the-best-li
>> > nux-desktop-environment-1045280

>> In my humble opinion, you should use whatever you actually like. You
>> don't like GNOME? Then don't use it; and if you used it before and
>> don't like the new version, either get involver to get it "fixed" (for
>> whatever defintion of "fixed" you want), fork it (although maybe you
>> should first try Unity, MATE, or Cinnamon before), or go to another
>> desktop.
>>
>> I like GNOME 3, therefore I use it. I like systemd, therefore I use
>> it. I like Emacs, therefore I use it. If someone else wants to use
>> KDE, OpenRC, and Vim, it's none of my business. To each his own.
>
> one question - how can you call something that doesn't even let you change the
> fonts call a 'desktop environment'?

Really? I try to write a conciliatory post about how we should respect
each others preferences and that's the first thing you respond?

To all of us who actually believe that everyone has the right to like
whatever they choose, please don't feed the trolls. The intent of my
post was exactly to prevent flame wars.

Regards.

Michael Mol 06-17-2012 07:31 PM

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 5:42 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> So, while we're meta-discussing Linus' rant on Gnome3, here's an article
> from TechRadar exploring the usability of the leading Linux desktop
> environments.
>
> http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/whats-the-best-linux-desktop-environment-1045280

For me? I like using awesomewm where I can, though sometimes I switch
to XFCE where useful. KDE isn't bad, except for compile times; I'm not
enough of a KDE power user to really be affected by the differences
between KDE3 and KDE4.

I tend to recommend LXDE, XFCE or GNOME to Linux newcomers, depending
on where they're coming from. LXDE is an excellent choice if the
newbie hails from WinXP, for example. XFCE is reasonable for Mac or
late-model Windows users. GNOME (either 2 or 3) is reasonable for
low-end users.

I don't deal with many "I don't want to touch it" users, but for
those, I found netbook-oriented window managers work best. The less
the user has to think about the interface, the more they can get on to
complaining about apps.

--
:wq

"Walter Dnes" 06-17-2012 07:36 PM

OT: 'Best' Desktop Environment

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:52:48AM -0500, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s wrote

> In my humble opinion, you should use whatever you actually like. You
> don't like GNOME? Then don't use it; and if you used it before and
> don't like the new version, either get involver to get it "fixed" (for
> whatever defintion of "fixed" you want), fork it (although maybe you
> should first try Unity, MATE, or Cinnamon before), or go to another
> desktop.

My attitude towards KDE and GNOME is "the pox on both their houses"; I
don't run desktops, I run applications. I use ICEWM with my most-used
apps in the launch menu and launchbar. "Desktop" users moving to LXDE
or XFCE is perfectly understandable.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Nikos Chantziaras 06-17-2012 09:17 PM

OT: 'Best' Desktop Environment

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:52:48AM -0500, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s wrote

In my humble opinion, you should use whatever you actually like. You
don't like GNOME? Then don't use it; and if you used it before and
don't like the new version, either get involver to get it "fixed" (for
whatever defintion of "fixed" you want), fork it (although maybe you
should first try Unity, MATE, or Cinnamon before), or go to another
desktop.

My attitude towards KDE and GNOME is "the pox on both their houses"; I
don't run desktops, I run applications.

It's just that most people prefer a unified look and feel, rather than
each application inventing the same things in a different and
incompatible way. This is why DEs are so popular.

Michael Mol 06-17-2012 09:33 PM

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/06/12 22:36, Walter Dnes wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:52:48AM -0500, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s wrote
>>
>>> In my humble opinion, you should use whatever you actually like. You
>>> don't like GNOME? Then don't use it; and if you used it before and
>>> don't like the new version, either get involver to get it "fixed" (for
>>> whatever defintion of "fixed" you want), fork it (although maybe you
>>> should first try Unity, MATE, or Cinnamon before), or go to another
>>> desktop.
>>

>> * My attitude towards KDE and GNOME is "the pox on both their houses"; I
>> don't run desktops, I run applications.
>

> It's just that most people prefer a unified look and feel, rather than each
> application inventing the same things in a different and incompatible way.
> *This is why DEs are so popular.

We had a unified look and feel...but nobody liked that particular Motif. ;)

--
:wq