Old 06-16-2012, 06:27 PM
walt

Default OT: Linus ranting about Gnome3

FWIW, I recently tried Windows 8 beta (on virtualbox, of course)
and I found it unusable. Why? Because they are rushing to
catch up with gnome3. Their new desktop looks very much like
a smartphone.

I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon
and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the
smartphone market.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I recently tried Windows 8 beta (on virtualbox, of course)
> and I found it unusable. *Why? *Because they are rushing to
> catch up with gnome3. *Their new desktop looks very much like
> a smartphone.
>
> I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon
> and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the
> smartphone market.

Or they realized that the "old" users doesn't really matter, because
what is important is the younger generation being raised using
smartphones and tablets, and which play with Wii, Xbox Kinect or PS3
Move. That's the important market, and the future.

BTW, using GNOME 3 for more than one year in my laptop and desktop,
and I love it. I also want a tablet with it.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 06-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon
and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the
smartphone market.

Ah yes, the death of the desktop PC, which is happening for 15 years now.

Are we dead yet?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Matthew Finkel

I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon

and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the

smartphone market.

Ah yes, the death of the desktop PC, which is happening for 15 years now.

Are we dead yet?

I'm not holding my breath. There will always be a divide for the power users. A single,*under-powered*interface isn't going to cut it for a lot of us. X provides us with the flexibility that isn't available with the mobile interface.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 00:00:04 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16/06/12 21:27, walt wrote:
> > I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon
> > and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the
> > smartphone market.
>
> Ah yes, the death of the desktop PC, which is happening for 15 years
> now.
>
> Are we dead yet?

Fine comment.

Yes indeed, Microsoft's *real* cash cow - millions of corporate
desktops running $LATEST_WINDOWS and $LATEST_OFFICE are all going to
die out inthe next year. Not.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Michael Mol

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Matthew Finkel
<matthew.finkel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 16/06/12 21:27, walt wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon
>>> and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the
>>> smartphone market.
>>

>> Ah yes, the death of the desktop PC, which is happening for 15 years now.
>>
>> Are we dead yet?
>

> I'm not holding my breath. There will always be a divide for the power
> users. A single,*under-powered*interface isn't going to cut it for a lot of
> us. X provides us with the flexibility that isn't available with the mobile
> interface.

Even in the Microsoft world, I can't easily imagine them ditching the
old UI paradigm for their Windows Server products. They've come a long
way in making Windows CLI-friendly (see PowerShell), but they haven't
yet (AFAIK) provided a good mechanism for remote CLI access.

Not that they won't be able to bolt one in easily enough; CSRSS means
they should be able to provide, e.g. an SSH daemon, give the
connecting user a PowerShell login session[1], and give it equal
privileges and security controls as they have for any other login
session.

[1] A 'screen' workalike would be useful, but I don't know how quickly
they'll jump on that.

--
:wq

Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Michael Mol

Old 06-16-2012, 10:37 PM
walt

On 06/16/2012 02:12 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 00:00:04 +0300
> Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 16/06/12 21:27, walt wrote:
>>> I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon
>>> and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the
>>> smartphone market.
>>
>> Ah yes, the death of the desktop PC, which is happening for 15 years
>> now.
>>
>> Are we dead yet?
>>

> Fine comment.
>
> Yes indeed, Microsoft's *real* cash cow - millions of corporate
> desktops running $LATEST_WINDOWS and $LATEST_OFFICE are all going to
> die out in the next year. Not.

True enough. I'm forced to live in exactly that environment at work.

A couple of years ago some beancounters discovered that the City of
Los Angeles could save $BIG-MONEY by dumping MS and switching to the
for-profit version of google docs. That caused a big stink over
security and reliability, naturally, but in the end the beancounters
won the argument. Corporations got beancounters too, ya know

Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Matthew Finkel

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Matthew Finkel

<matthew.finkel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 16/06/12 21:27, walt wrote:

>>> I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon

>>> and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the

>>> smartphone market.

>> Ah yes, the death of the desktop PC, which is happening for 15 years now.

>> Are we dead yet?

> I'm not holding my breath. There will always be a divide for the power

> users. A single,*under-powered*interface isn't going to cut it for a lot of

> us. X provides us with the flexibility that isn't available with the mobile

> interface.

Even in the Microsoft world, I can't easily imagine them ditching the

old UI paradigm for their Windows Server products. They've come a long

way in making Windows CLI-friendly (see PowerShell), but they haven't

yet (AFAIK) provided a good mechanism for remote CLI access.

True, and they've been working "hard" to get it to the state it is in now.*In many cases, sys admins have had to unlearn relying on their mouse

for complete power. The CLI provides options that are, obviously, very difficultto express in a simple GUI (I know I'm preaching to the choir). Powershell hasmade huge progress in this respect, but it still has a long way to go in order to*

compete with*what we have. And I doubt the server environment would ever*become stripped down to the state we're talking about.*

Not that they won't be able to bolt one in easily enough; CSRSS means

they should be able to provide, e.g. an SSH daemon, give the

connecting user a PowerShell login session[1], and give it equal

privileges and security controls as they have for any other login

session.

How many years have they had? I'd given up on this years ago.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Matthew Finkel