Old 06-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Matthew Finkel

Default OT: Linus ranting about Gnome3

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Matthew Finkel

<matthew.finkel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Matthew Finkel

>> <matthew.finkel@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I'm not holding my breath. There will always be a divide for the power

>> > users. A single,*under-powered*interface isn't going to cut it for a lot

>> > of

>> > us. X provides us with the flexibility that isn't available with the

>> > mobile

>> > interface.

>> Even in the Microsoft world, I can't easily imagine them ditching the

>> old UI paradigm for their Windows Server products. They've come a long

>> way in making Windows CLI-friendly (see PowerShell), but they haven't

>> yet (AFAIK) provided a good mechanism for remote CLI access.

> True, and they've been working "hard" to get it to the state it is in now.

> In many cases, sys admins have had to unlearn relying on their mouse

> for complete power. The CLI provides options that are, obviously, very

> difficult

> to express in a simple GUI (I know I'm preaching to the choir). Powershell

> has

> made huge progress in this respect, but it still has a long way to go in

> order to

> compete with*what we have. And I doubt the server environment would ever

> become stripped down to the state we're talking about.

Actually, they're there as of Windows Server 2008. It's called

"Windows Server 2008 Core". According to "Windows Server 2008: The

Definitive Guide", you log into one of these systems and all you get

(by default) is a terminal window with an instance of cmd.exe. It goes

on to list seven server roles this configuration supports:

* Active Directory and Active Directory Lightweight Domain Services (LDS)

* DHCP Server

* DNS Server

* File Services (including DFSR and NFS)

* Print Services

* Streaming Media Services

* Windows Server Virtualization

(Curiously, one of the things you _can't_ do is run Managed Code.)

Huh, I didn't know about this. It's still too limited, though. At least they've*duplicated a lot of the core gui elements on cli.*

*

>> Not that they won't be able to bolt one in easily enough; CSRSS means

>> they should be able to provide, e.g. an SSH daemon, give the

>> connecting user a PowerShell login session[1], and give it equal

>> privileges and security controls as they have for any other login

>> session.

> How many years have they had? I'd given up on this years ago.

SFU is available in the "Server Core" configuration. I imagine you

could run OpenSSH under there. Or some commercial entity could come

along and provide an SSH+screen(ish) component to snap into the CSRSS

framework.

I'd actually forgotten about that, I would never trust their implement though.Apparently there's a binary available of OpenSSH that runs on SFU (so says wiki [1]).

I've been out of the Windows Server environment for a few years now, so I guessI've missed out*on some of the progress MS has made in this area. It's good theyare pushing the CLI now. Perhaps in a few releases they'll implement their own

of encrypting telnet sessions with a screen/tmux lookalike.*Microsoft never*ceases to amaze me - with the good and the bad.
[1]*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Services_for_UNIX

Old 06-17-2012, 02:50 AM
William Kenworthy

On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 00:00 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 16/06/12 21:27, walt wrote:
> > I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon
> > and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the
> > smartphone market.
>
> Ah yes, the death of the desktop PC, which is happening for 15 years now.
>
> Are we dead yet?

No, it only feels like it (... Sunday morning)

BillK

Old 06-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2012, 23:57:26 schrieb Pandu Poluan:
> Just in case anyone missed it:
>
> https://plus.google.com/102150693225130002912/posts/UkoAaLDpF4I
>
> Rgds,

reeading that and this thread:

as a kde user it is refreshing to see that gnome3 is worse than KDE 4.0

I hope all those arrogant gnome users who could not shut up back then are
covering in some corner and crying in mental pain and humiliation.

--
#163933

Old 06-17-2012, 11:39 AM
William Kenworthy

On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 12:31 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2012, 23:57:26 schrieb Pandu Poluan:
> > Just in case anyone missed it:
> >
> > https://plus.google.com/102150693225130002912/posts/UkoAaLDpF4I
> >
> > Rgds,
>
> reeading that and this thread:
>
> as a kde user it is refreshing to see that gnome3 is worse than KDE 4.0
>
> I hope all those arrogant gnome users who could not shut up back then are
> covering in some corner and crying in mental pain and humiliation.

quick, pass the tin hat, someone can see me!

BillK

Old 06-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Alecks Gates

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 5:31 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2012, 23:57:26 schrieb Pandu Poluan:
>> Just in case anyone missed it:
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/102150693225130002912/posts/UkoAaLDpF4I
>>
>> Rgds,
>
> reeading that and this thread:
>
> as a kde user it is refreshing to see that gnome3 is worse than KDE 4.0
>
> I hope all those arrogant gnome users who could not shut up back then are
> covering in some corner and crying in mental pain and humiliation.
>
> --
> #163933

I must be really special since I'm completely productive and happy
with Gnome 3 . . . .

I'll need the tin hat, too. Seems rather stylish, right now.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Alecks Gates <alecks.g@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 5:31 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2012, 23:57:26 schrieb Pandu Poluan:
>>> Just in case anyone missed it:
>>>
>>> https://plus.google.com/102150693225130002912/posts/UkoAaLDpF4I
>>>
>>> Rgds,
>>
>> reeading that and this thread:
>>
>> as a kde user it is refreshing to see that gnome3 is worse than KDE 4.0
>>
>> I hope all those arrogant gnome users who could not shut up back then are
>> covering in some corner and crying in mental pain and humiliation.
>>
>> --
>> #163933
>>

> I must be really special since I'm completely productive and happy
> with Gnome 3 . . . .

Haven't you heard? Those of us who like GNOME 3 are nothing but
fanbois. Sorry to break the news to you; I didn't know either, and it
was also a shock to me.

I'm trying to live now a regular life knowing that I'm just a fanboi,
but I suppose it's hard, since we obviously don't know what the hell
are we doing if we like such a gigantic mess like GNOME 3 is.

(I *really* think I should not have the need to said this, but just
to cover all the bases: All of the above is sarcasm.)

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

[...]

People using Gnome don't need to get upset because a website posts a
review where KDE wins, or a high-profile community member like Torvalds
bashes it.

Gnome sucks. It sucks really, really bad. But this is only the opinion
of the one writing that statement.

Like fortune cookie told me when I logged in today:

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone's got one, but
nobody wants to look at the other guy's.

-- Hal Hickman

Old 06-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Alecks Gates

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/06/12 22:12, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Alecks Gates <alecks.g@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I must be really special since I'm completely productive and happy
>>> with Gnome 3 . . . .
>>

>> Haven't you heard? Those of us who like GNOME 3 are nothing but
>> fanbois. Sorry to break the news to you; I didn't know either, and it
>> was also a shock to me.
>>
>> I'm trying to live now a regular life knowing that I'm just a fanboi,
>> but I suppose it's hard, since we obviously don't know what the hell
>> are we doing if we like such a gigantic mess like GNOME 3 is.
>>
>> (I *really* think I should not *have the need to said this, but just
>> to cover all the bases: All of the above is sarcasm.)
>>
>> Regards.
>

> People using Gnome don't need to get upset because a website posts a review
> where KDE wins, or a high-profile community member like Torvalds bashes it.
>
> Gnome sucks. *It sucks really, really bad. *But this is only the opinion of
> the one writing that statement.
>
> Like fortune cookie told me when I logged in today:
>
> *Opinions are like assholes -- everyone's got one, but
> *nobody wants to look at the other guy's.
>
> * * * * * * * *-- Hal Hickman

As near as I can tell, it's not the GNOME users that are upset but
rather the people bashing it. It's almost like reverse trolling... I
can just sit here and nod my head while someone complains all day
long!

If you don't like it, fine. Don't get yourself upset over it, not
that you, personally, are getting upset.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:23 PM
walt

On 06/16/2012 12:01 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
>> FWIW, I recently tried Windows 8 beta (on virtualbox, of course)
>> and I found it unusable. Why? Because they are rushing to
>> catch up with gnome3. Their new desktop looks very much like
>> a smartphone.
>>
>> I guess they figure the desktop will be extinct relatively soon
>> and their customer base will vanish unless they capture the
>> smartphone market.
>
> Or they realized that the "old" users doesn't really matter, because
> what is important is the younger generation being raised using
> smartphones and tablets, and which play with Wii, Xbox Kinect or PS3
> Move. That's the important market, and the future.
>
> BTW, using GNOME 3 for more than one year in my laptop and desktop,
> and I love it. I also want a tablet with it.

Well, now it becomes clear. I just read that MS has officially
released Surface, its new Win8-powered tablet.