-   -   no keyboard on fresh install (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/673519-no-keyboard-fresh-install.html)

Harry Putnam 06-01-2012 08:33 AM

no keyboard on fresh install

On a fresh install on older dell P4, I've been unable to get the usb
keyboard to respond.

It responds at the grub screen, but once past there... no response

I am running thru a kvm switch, but don't really have the option
without a fair bit of juggling to try it with everything hooked
direct. I have tried plugging a keyboard direct, with no result.

One other time, long ago, I hit this same problem and it turned out to
be a bios setting. I don't recall what it was now, but did find some
info in a KVM manual that says the two items below might need setting:

Set HALT ON ERROR to ALL BUT KEYBOARD.
In PNP AND PCI SETUP, set PNP OS INSTALLED to YES and set
USB IRQ to ENABLED.

My bios do not show anything that seems to be similar or even related,
other than a setting to have keyboard errors reported or not... and I
tried that both ways.

This is a Dell system SX280 and says it is bios revision A08. I've
not seen this particular setup before and it looks unusual to me.

It has headings for:

System
Drivers
Onboard Devices
Video
Performance
Security
Power Management
Maintenance
Post Behavior

And a list of things under each. I'm not going to try to snarfle all
that by hand unless it seems likely to be helpful. But I can say that
after a thorough look at them all, I didn't see anything that seemed
to be related.

Anyone have ideas on this?

Hinnerk van Bruinehsen 06-01-2012 08:44 AM

no keyboard on fresh install