Old 04-10-2008, 06:26 AM
Iain Buchanan

Default nautilus keeps reloading

Hi list

I've been running gnome 2.22 since it made unstable, and today I just
upgraded to the 2.22.1 minor release.

However, since that (or some other) upgrade, every time I right left or
middle click on a file on my desktop or in a folder, nautilus dies and
starts again (closing all open windows, momentarily blanking the
desktop, etc).

I can select icons ´╗┐and pop up the menu with the keyboard, and it works
fine. I can also right click on a non-icon space, no worries.

Nautilus isn't crashing, because gdb shows nothing but "Program exited
with code 0177" (no segfaults etc), so it's reloading for some reason.

Next I tried an strace. The last few lines I see before the crash is:

stat64("/usr/bin/nautilus", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755,
st_size=1175916, ...}) = 0
writev(2, [{"/usr/bin/nautilus", 17}, {": ", 2}, {"symbol lookup error",
19}, {": ", 2}, {"/usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-2.0"..., 62}, {": ", 2},
{"undefined symbol: nautilus_file_"..., 46}, {"", 0}, {"", 0}, {"
",
1}], 10/usr/bin/nautilus: symbol lookup
error: /usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-2.0/libnautilus-burn-extension.so:
undefined symbol: nautilus_file_info_get_mount
) = 151
exit_group(127) = ?

hm, libnautilus-burn-extension.so is owned by nautilus-cd-burner.
Recompiling that doesn't help. Nor does recompiling nautilus.

Of course revdep-rebuild doesn't help either!

Where to look next? TIA,

A crow perched himself on a telephone wire. He was going to make a
long-distance caw.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Iain Buchanan

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 15:56 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I've been running gnome 2.22 since it made unstable, and today I just
> upgraded to the 2.22.1 minor release.
>
> However, since that (or some other) upgrade, every time I right left or
> middle click on a file on my desktop or in a folder, nautilus dies and
> starts again (closing all open windows, momentarily blanking the
> desktop, etc).

I downgraded nautilus-cd-burner to 2.22.0 and the problem is gone. Any
ideas?

Unix: Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.
-- Karl Lehenbauer