-   -   libpcre.so.0 not used, yet system broken... (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/673240-libpcre-so-0-not-used-yet-system-broken.html)

Jarry 05-31-2012 05:34 PM

libpcre.so.0 not used, yet system broken...

Hi,
I updated recently libpcre to 8.30-r2 on ~10 system without
problems. Today I updated the last one. As usually, this
message has been printed:

* Messages for package dev-libs/libpcre-8.30-r2:
* Old versions of installed libraries were detected on your system.
* In order to avoid breaking packages that depend on these old libs,
* the libraries are not being removed. You need to run revdep-rebuild
* in order to remove these old dependencies. If you do not have this
* helper program, simply emerge the 'gentoolkit' package.
*
* # revdep-rebuild --library '/lib64/libpcre.so.0' &&
rm '/lib64/libpcre.so.0'

So I run first:
# revdep-rebuild --library '/lib64/libpcre.so.0'

To my big surprise, none packages have been found:
* There are no dynamic links to /lib64/libpcre.so.0. All done

I was a little suspicious because I remember on all other
systems 2 packages had to be recompiled. So I created copy
of the above mentioned library in homedir, and removed it:
# rm '/lib64/libpcre.so.0'

Then I tried "revdep-rebuild" and got plenty of errors:

grep: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.0:

Apparently, grep needs libpcre.so.0. But how is it possible
that "revdep-rebild --library '/lib64/libpcre.so.0'" does not
find any package linked to libpcre.so.0, yet when I remove it,
grep is broken?

Does anybody remember what was the 2nd package linked to
libpcre.so.0, which had to be recompliled after libpcre
upgrade?

Jarry

Michael Mol 05-31-2012 05:43 PM

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I updated recently libpcre to 8.30-r2 on ~10 system without
> problems. Today I updated the last one. As usually, this
> message has been printed:
>
> * Messages for package dev-libs/libpcre-8.30-r2:
> * Old versions of installed libraries were detected on your system.
> * In order to avoid breaking packages that depend on these old libs,
> * the libraries are not being removed. You need to run revdep-rebuild
> * in order to remove these old dependencies. If you do not have this
> * helper program, simply emerge the 'gentoolkit' package.
> *
> * * # revdep-rebuild --library '/lib64/libpcre.so.0' &&
> *rm '/lib64/libpcre.so.0'
>
> So I run first:
> # revdep-rebuild --library '/lib64/libpcre.so.0'
>
> To my big surprise, none packages have been found:
> * There are no dynamic links to /lib64/libpcre.so.0. All done
>
> I was a little suspicious because I remember on all other
> systems 2 packages had to be recompiled. So I created copy
> of the above mentioned library in homedir, and removed it:
> # rm '/lib64/libpcre.so.0'
>
> Then I tried "revdep-rebuild" and got plenty of errors:
>
> grep: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.0:
> *cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Apparently, grep needs libpcre.so.0. But how is it possible
> that "revdep-rebild --library '/lib64/libpcre.so.0'" does not
> find any package linked to libpcre.so.0, yet when I remove it,
> grep is broken?
>
> Does anybody remember what was the 2nd package linked to
> libpcre.so.0, which had to be recompliled after libpcre
> upgrade?

I'll venture 'sed' as a guess.

--
:wq

Hinnerk van Bruinehsen 05-31-2012 05:50 PM

libpcre.so.0 not used, yet system broken...

Jarry 05-31-2012 06:00 PM

libpcre.so.0 not used, yet system broken...