Old 05-30-2012, 05:56 AM
Bill Kenworthy

Default gnome3 weather applet

I am one of those poor saps who decided to try gnome3 and its not
pleasant at all ... its an even worse hit on productivity than early
gnome2 over 1.4 was

Apparently 3.2 has a weather app available, but I cant find it or how to
"turn it on" or add it to the desktop or panel. Can someone enlighten
me on how this works for gentoo? - I have libgweather installed which is
what I need, right? I cant see any other relevant packages.

Billk

Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 AM
David Abbott

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I am one of those poor saps who decided to try gnome3 and its not
> pleasant at all ... its an even worse hit on productivity than early
> gnome2 over 1.4 was
>
> Apparently 3.2 has a weather app available, but I cant find it or how to
> "turn it on" or add it to the desktop or panel. *Can someone enlighten
> me on how this works for gentoo? - I have libgweather installed which is
> what I need, right? *I cant see any other relevant packages.
>
> Billk

Hi Bill,
I use this weather extension [1]
More extensions here [2]

[1] https://github.com/simon04/gnome-shell-extension-weather
[2] https://extensions.gnome.org

HTH,
David

Old 05-30-2012, 12:57 PM
walt

On 05/29/2012 10:56 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> I am one of those poor saps who decided to try gnome3 and its not
> pleasant at all ... its an even worse hit on productivity than early
> gnome2 over 1.4 was

I find gnome3 to be not very different from gnome2 *if* I run it in
"fallback mode". Try it: System Settings::System Info::Graphics::
Forced Fallback Mode::On

So far I find gnome-shell to be pointless, but I'll try it every few
months to see if I change my mind. (Normally my wife changes my mind
for me, but she's not interested in linux so she doesn't care.)

Old 05-31-2012, 03:28 AM
Alecks Gates

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 7:57 AM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/29/2012 10:56 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
>> I am one of those poor saps who decided to try gnome3 and its not
>> pleasant at all ... its an even worse hit on productivity than early
>> gnome2 over 1.4 was
>
> I find gnome3 to be not very different from gnome2 *if* I run it in
> "fallback mode". *Try it: System Settings::System Info::Graphics::
> Forced Fallback Mode::On
>
> So far I find gnome-shell to be pointless, but I'll try it every few
> months to see if I change my mind. *(Normally my wife changes my mind
> for me, but she's not interested in linux so she doesn't care.)

I find the grouped windows of the same application to be quite
convenient and efficient, been using gnome-shell for months now and
love it. Was forced to learn all the keyboard shortcuts and I'm much
more productive. Alt-tab for switching between applications and Alt-`
for switching between the same application, very nice.

Just in case someone here hasn't yet come across it, here's the Gnome
3 cheat sheet (quite useful):
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

Plus the extensions are great and also simple to use. I didn't
install a single extension until yesterday, and I was really surprised
at how easy it was and how useful some of them are. Here's a short
list of what I found useful:
"Remove Accessibility" - Removes the accessibility icon from the upper right
"Calculator" - Allows you to do simple calculations from within the
shell, just press the "super" key and start typing
"Notifications Alert" - Makes notifications more apparent in case you miss one
"Media player indicator" - Sort of like Ubuntu's Unity music indicator
"Advanced Volume Mixer" - Lists all the app's sound levels right in
the drop-down mixer
"Panel Settings" - Some settings to change the panel visibility and location

Yes, normally I would prefer a lot of these features to be included in
the desktop environment. But they made them so easy to install and
try, I was really surprised and impressed. It's as if they want the
weird simplicity so everyone can customize it with extensions, which
is a nice approach to it, in my opinion. I've always disliked the
bloat and complexity of KDE's built-in settings, etc. But I don't
mean to start a flame war, that's just my taste and opinion.