-   -   gnome3 weather applet (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/672509-gnome3-weather-applet.html)

Bill Kenworthy 05-30-2012 05:56 AM

gnome3 weather applet

I am one of those poor saps who decided to try gnome3 and its not
pleasant at all ... its an even worse hit on productivity than early
gnome2 over 1.4 was :(

Apparently 3.2 has a weather app available, but I cant find it or how to
"turn it on" or add it to the desktop or panel. Can someone enlighten
me on how this works for gentoo? - I have libgweather installed which is
what I need, right? I cant see any other relevant packages.

Billk

David Abbott 05-30-2012 07:36 AM

gnome3 weather applet

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I am one of those poor saps who decided to try gnome3 and its not
> pleasant at all ... its an even worse hit on productivity than early
> gnome2 over 1.4 was :(
>
> Apparently 3.2 has a weather app available, but I cant find it or how to
> "turn it on" or add it to the desktop or panel. *Can someone enlighten
> me on how this works for gentoo? - I have libgweather installed which is
> what I need, right? *I cant see any other relevant packages.
>
> Billk

Hi Bill,
I use this weather extension [1]
More extensions here [2]

[1] https://github.com/simon04/gnome-shell-extension-weather
[2] https://extensions.gnome.org

HTH,
David

walt 05-30-2012 12:57 PM

gnome3 weather applet

On 05/29/2012 10:56 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> I am one of those poor saps who decided to try gnome3 and its not
> pleasant at all ... its an even worse hit on productivity than early
> gnome2 over 1.4 was :(

I find gnome3 to be not very different from gnome2 *if* I run it in
"fallback mode". Try it: System Settings::System Info::Graphics::
Forced Fallback Mode::On

So far I find gnome-shell to be pointless, but I'll try it every few
months to see if I change my mind. (Normally my wife changes my mind
for me, but she's not interested in linux so she doesn't care.)

Alecks Gates 05-31-2012 03:28 AM

gnome3 weather applet

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 7:57 AM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/29/2012 10:56 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
>> I am one of those poor saps who decided to try gnome3 and its not
>> pleasant at all ... its an even worse hit on productivity than early
>> gnome2 over 1.4 was :(
>
> I find gnome3 to be not very different from gnome2 *if* I run it in
> "fallback mode". *Try it: System Settings::System Info::Graphics::
> Forced Fallback Mode::On
>
> So far I find gnome-shell to be pointless, but I'll try it every few
> months to see if I change my mind. *(Normally my wife changes my mind
> for me, but she's not interested in linux so she doesn't care.)

I find the grouped windows of the same application to be quite
convenient and efficient, been using gnome-shell for months now and
love it. Was forced to learn all the keyboard shortcuts and I'm much
more productive. Alt-tab for switching between applications and Alt-`
for switching between the same application, very nice.

Just in case someone here hasn't yet come across it, here's the Gnome
3 cheat sheet (quite useful):
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

Plus the extensions are great and also simple to use. I didn't
install a single extension until yesterday, and I was really surprised
at how easy it was and how useful some of them are. Here's a short
list of what I found useful:
"Remove Accessibility" - Removes the accessibility icon from the upper right
"Calculator" - Allows you to do simple calculations from within the
shell, just press the "super" key and start typing
"Notifications Alert" - Makes notifications more apparent in case you miss one
"Media player indicator" - Sort of like Ubuntu's Unity music indicator
"Advanced Volume Mixer" - Lists all the app's sound levels right in
the drop-down mixer
"Panel Settings" - Some settings to change the panel visibility and location

Yes, normally I would prefer a lot of these features to be included in
the desktop environment. But they made them so easy to install and
try, I was really surprised and impressed. It's as if they want the
weird simplicity so everyone can customize it with extensions, which
is a nice approach to it, in my opinion. I've always disliked the
bloat and complexity of KDE's built-in settings, etc. But I don't
mean to start a flame war, that's just my taste and opinion.