FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default ~gcc-4.7.0

As GCC-4.7.0 appeared for ~amd64 now ...

anyone recompiled system or world with it already?

More advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks, Stefan
 
Old 05-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Sascha Cunz
 
Default ~gcc-4.7.0

On Monday, 28. May 2012 22:04:30 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> As GCC-4.7.0 appeared for ~amd64 now ...
>
> anyone recompiled system or world with it already?
>
> More advantages or disadvantages?

I tried an emerge -ev world yesterday (on a box with a total about 1100
emergeed packages), so far only had compiling trouble with gst-pluings-ffmpeg
(gcc4.7.0 bug including patch is on b.g.o[1], so was easy to solve) and
firefox 12.

All of KDE 4.8.3 and libreoffice did emerge nicely. Though i did not test the
results yet.

SaCu

[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=407741
 
Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default ~gcc-4.7.0

Am 2012-05-28 22:54, schrieb Sascha Cunz:
> On Monday, 28. May 2012 22:04:30 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>> As GCC-4.7.0 appeared for ~amd64 now ...
>>
>> anyone recompiled system or world with it already?
>>
>> More advantages or disadvantages?
>
> I tried an emerge -ev world yesterday (on a box with a total about 1100
> emergeed packages), so far only had compiling trouble with gst-pluings-ffmpeg
> (gcc4.7.0 bug including patch is on b.g.o[1], so was easy to solve) and
> firefox 12.
>
> All of KDE 4.8.3 and libreoffice did emerge nicely. Though i did not test the
> results yet.
>
> SaCu
>
> [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=407741
>


Thanks alot, Sascha, for that helpful feedback!

I will give it a try on one of my machines tonight.

In gentoo-ricer-terms: did you notice any improvements?

;-)

Stefan
 
Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 AM
Pandu Poluan
 
Default ~gcc-4.7.0

On May 29, 2012 4:15 AM, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@xunil.at> wrote:

>

> Am 2012-05-28 22:54, schrieb Sascha Cunz:

> > On Monday, 28. May 2012 22:04:30 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> >> As GCC-4.7.0 appeared for ~amd64 now ...

> >>

> >> anyone recompiled system or world with it already?

> >>

> >> More advantages or disadvantages?

> >

> > I tried an emerge -ev world yesterday (on a box with a total about 1100

> > emergeed packages), so far only had compiling trouble with gst-pluings-ffmpeg

> > (gcc4.7.0 bug including patch is on b.g.o[1], so was easy to solve) and

> > firefox 12.

> >

> > All of KDE 4.8.3 and libreoffice did emerge nicely. Though i did not test the

> > results yet.

> >

> > SaCu

> >

> > [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=407741

> >

>

>

> Thanks alot, Sascha, for that helpful feedback!

>

> I will give it a try on one of my machines tonight.

>

> In gentoo-ricer-terms: did you notice any improvements?

>

> ;-)

>


LOL


Yeah, I am also wondering how much improvement graphite sees with 4.7.0


*shuffles over to gcc changelog


Rgds,
 
Old 05-29-2012, 02:26 AM
Michael Mol
 
Default ~gcc-4.7.0

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
>
> On May 29, 2012 4:15 AM, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
>>
>> Am 2012-05-28 22:54, schrieb Sascha Cunz:
>> > On Monday, 28. May 2012 22:04:30 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>> >> As GCC-4.7.0 appeared for ~amd64 now ...
>> >>
>> >> anyone recompiled system or world with it already?
>> >>
>> >> More advantages or disadvantages?
>> >
>> > I tried an emerge -ev world yesterday (on a box with a total about 1100
>> > emergeed packages), so far only had compiling trouble with
>> > gst-pluings-ffmpeg
>> > (gcc4.7.0 bug including patch is on b.g.o[1], so was easy to solve) and
>> > firefox 12.
>> >
>> > All of KDE 4.8.3 and libreoffice did emerge nicely. Though i did not
>> > test the
>> > results yet.
>> >
>> > SaCu
>> >
>> > [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=407741
>> >
>>
>>
>> Thanks alot, Sascha, for that helpful feedback!
>>
>> I will give it a try on one of my machines tonight.
>>
>> In gentoo-ricer-terms: did you notice any improvements?
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>
> LOL
>
> Yeah, I am also wondering how much improvement graphite sees with 4.7.0
>
> *shuffles over to gcc changelog

I'm mostly looking forward to Bulldozer support and RDRAND.

--
:wq
 
Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 AM
microcai
 
Default ~gcc-4.7.0

2012/5/29 Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com>

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

>

> On May 29, 2012 4:15 AM, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@xunil.at> wrote:

>>

>> Am 2012-05-28 22:54, schrieb Sascha Cunz:

>> > On Monday, 28. May 2012 22:04:30 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

>> >> As GCC-4.7.0 appeared for ~amd64 now ...

>> >>

>> >> anyone recompiled system or world with it already?

>> >>

>> >> More advantages or disadvantages?

>> >

>> > I tried an emerge -ev world yesterday (on a box with a total about 1100

>> > emergeed packages), so far only had compiling trouble with

>> > gst-pluings-ffmpeg

>> > (gcc4.7.0 bug including patch is on b.g.o[1], so was easy to solve) and

>> > firefox 12.

>> >

>> > All of KDE 4.8.3 and libreoffice did emerge nicely. Though i did not

>> > test the

>> > results yet.

>> >

>> > SaCu

>> >

>> > [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=407741

>> >

>>

>>

>> Thanks alot, Sascha, for that helpful feedback!

>>

>> I will give it a try on one of my machines tonight.

>>

>> In gentoo-ricer-terms: did you notice any improvements?

>>

>> ;-)

>>

>

> LOL

>

> Yeah, I am also wondering how much improvement graphite sees with 4.7.0

>

> *shuffles over to gcc changelog



I'm mostly looking forward to Bulldozer support and RDRAND.



LOL I thought no one buys it
*

--

:wq
 
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default ~gcc-4.7.0

On 28/05/12 23:04, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:


As GCC-4.7.0 appeared for ~amd64 now ...

anyone recompiled system or world with it already?

More advantages or disadvantages?


Since you didn't mention any specific workloads (like audio or video
compression), I assume you're a typical desktop user (internet browsing,
email, watching movies, listening to music, etc.) There will be no
differences in performance with GCC 4.7.
 
Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Andrey Moshbear
 
Default ~gcc-4.7.0

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
>
> As GCC-4.7.0 appeared for ~amd64 now ...
>
> anyone recompiled system or world with it already?
>
> More advantages or disadvantages?
>
> Thanks, Stefan
>

If you're a C++ developer, gcc 4.7 has more c++11 support, the most
important of which is a standards-conforming value of __cplusplus,
allowing you to portably check whether the compiler is standard
C++98(03) or C++11.

--
m0shbear
 
Old 05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Hinnerk van Bruinehsen
 
Default ~gcc-4.7.0

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 28.05.2012 22:04, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>
> As GCC-4.7.0 appeared for ~amd64 now ...
>
> anyone recompiled system or world with it already?
>
> More advantages or disadvantages?
>
> Thanks, Stefan
>

Hi,

as far as I can tell it works mostly. There are some packages which
seem to break:

- - firefox and thunderbird, if I remember correctly
- - chromium (theres an open bug on bgo)
- - hardened-sources: the neccessary gcc-plugins don't work because they
can't find the right symbols because gcc-4.7 is normally compiled with
g++ which mangles the symbols. Don't know how to work around that,
though it seems to be possible to compile gcc-4.7 with gcc - I just
don't know how

For all packages which break it's possible to switch to your old
gcc-version (unless you uninstall it).

WKR

Hinnerk
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPxKRBAAoJEJwwOFaNFkYcFQwH/RrmekPPrJmtlMuJTtxt6MyH
vsevdcmQTR89CMJtFETbI7FZDHaB6olq0dOXr/4lOlAi3BegSsam/tGfabeJQb/w
zLhDhR/hd3/YbQhqI4BzeWkpCqRYYr41dVXMCqGcydrfRmrT0ipXqggD0WqjH M/p
ZZb4WRjjbYeoCiZkE9GZtkpPHMmulifdeIrNszW7g9r//W8Lb6tCDFtWE+bnEn6Y
l2+XDGQh7/D9GiDXRUYfObuDfVwdnAHf/6Bgt4m2LR2wzEm6WNlMI1XEyPkYAHD+
390bQU2tu6Ha+n1Rl32HhMeGNHIJ3WSmLtoTlY7HiuDDiDxfhn rPDHmlZTFVWV8=
=9/eD
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Ezequiel Garcia
 
Default ~gcc-4.7.0

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28/05/12 23:04, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>>
>>
>> As GCC-4.7.0 appeared for ~amd64 now ...
>>
>> anyone recompiled system or world with it already?
>>
>> More advantages or disadvantages?
>
>
> Since you didn't mention any specific workloads (like audio or video
> compression), I assume you're a typical desktop user (internet browsing,
> email, watching movies, listening to music, etc.) *There will be no
> differences in performance with GCC 4.7.
>
>

Have anyone tried to compile linux kernels with gcc 4.7?
Is it faster / smarter ?
Does it shows more warnings or produce faster / smaller code or something ?
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:29 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org