Old 05-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default How can I control size of /run (tmpfs)?

On Mon, 28 May 2012 20:31:39 +0200, Jarry wrote:

> But I'm still missing answer for my second question:
>
> >> Q2: Can I turn this "/run in tmpfs" feature off?

Of course you can, you have the source. However, it appears that no one
has implemented that particular feature for you yet. Maybe it is because
they have better things to do that move 300KB of files from the kernel's
caches to a disk filesystem from where it will be loaded into the
kernel's caches. That's the key point, that you don't actually save
memory by moving the files to a disk unless you are REALLY low on memory,
and then you have bigger things to worry about.

--
Neil Bothwick

This tagline is baroque; please call Bach.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:38 AM
Pandu Poluan

On May 29, 2012 12:53 AM, "pk" <peterk2@coolmail.se> wrote:

> On 2012-05-28 05:44, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> > But my newer servers has /run (and its children) from the get go, because I

> > think it kind of makes sense. Even though they're udev-free.

> Hm... what is using /run instead of /var/run? I thought it was (newish)

> udev itself and things like systemd that uses /run instead of

> /var/run... just curious.

> Best regards

> Peter K

Nothing that I know of, then. But I* thought if sometime later down the road some braindead dev assumes that everyone uses udev and hardwired his/her package to assume /run exists, I'm covered :-)

Rgds,